Favorite Short Segments from Indiana Jones

ColonelVogel

I was just wondering what are some of your favorite 10-50 second segments from any of the Indiana Jones films. I like plenty more than I am sharing, but I don't want to take them all.

I really like 0:40 to 1:07 in

I also really like 1:42 to 2:01 in

I have no idea. I don't really think about scores that way and on such a miniscule level. I prefer to play full tracks and full albums from start to finish. But any tracks featuring the 'religious sound' are up there, like "Only the Penitant Will Pass" and "The Map Room: Dawn".

12 hours ago, loert said:

Yes! And it gets you so pumped for the score when listening to it away from the film as well. But that whole arrangement is brilliant, especially during the dancing sequence. It's quite easy to dismiss that track as just Cole Porter's song and under-estimate Williams' involvement in it, but the fact is that Williams arranged the whole thing for orchestra, and it's so colourful, so playful, so upbeat yet so elegant that it's hard to imagine anybody could do a better job for that sequence. I love to look at the sheet music of that cue for inspiration, as it's brimming with so many cool ideas. 

I always thought that the arrangement of Anything Goes is JW's own homage/send-off to the great Conrad Salinger, the amazing orchestrator/arranger of the greatest MGM musicals (and also one of his early mentors).

As for my own little favorite moments, I have plenty from all Indy scores. I'll resort to a classic, spine-tingling one: (from 2:43 to the end)

Holy crap, Williams's "Anything Goes" track is incredible!! (I say track because I mean both 1m1 High Life and the song, both included under the same track title in the Concord release (and the OST?).

I believe it was only when reading this thread that I listened to it for the first time away from the film, and I'm blown away.

I had it running through my head all night while doing homework earlier this week!

It's so jolly, and this cue is actually one I'd consider epic under my main definition. The scene and music work together with such a precision and perfection, as Jay alluded to. Everything works like clockwork and you can't imagine it being any better.

I love the Asian musical flavor JW adds to Porter's song, among many other things. This arrangement has JW written all over it! (although Porter's song is already pretty great in its original 30s form)

After listening to this, I had to stay in the "musical theatre-ish" spirit by listening to this album of JW arrangements (or, at least he's conducting):

His "Hooray for Hollywood" arrangement isn't on there but it's absolutely marvelous too:

On 9/14/2016 at 6:22 PM, loert said:

And the trilling woodwind from 1:32 is like being in those rollercoasters which launch forward very fast at the beginning, and where your head is thrown back because of the force.

Clever description! :)

• 6 years later...

I like that little moment at the end of ToD, when Indy re-surfaces on the broken ladder with the stone in his hand and everyone starts laughing (just before the Raiders March starts)