Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Michael Jacket?

Love it!

Michael LittleJacket, by my reckoning. Any Italians here, feel free to correct me.

12 hours ago, toothless said:

It is indeed DESS-PLA 

And that's how he pronounces it himself.

3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The propper italian pronunciaion for those letters is more similar to the second one, or a mix... Jia-Keen-O i think sounds more like it

"Juh-Keen-O" seems right (the "i" should be silent, like in "Giovanni" - "Jo-WUNN-ee"). But doesn't he himself (not actually being Italian) say "Jia-"?

13 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

And that's how he pronounces it himself.

"Juh-Keen-O" seems right (the "i" should be silent, like in "Giovanni" - "Jo-WUNN-ee"). But doesn't he himself (not actually being Italian) say "Jia-"?

I think it was said a few posts earlier that he says Juh- instead of Gia-

I can't picture Juh- sounding the same as i say 'Gia'. Can you give me an example of an english word with a 'juh-' sound?

If that is true, then it is good news. We can get a pseudo-Williams sound with him.
 It's that I wanted with Jurassic World, the involvement of one of WIlliams orchestrators. Pope would have been great too.

Where did you heard that anyway?

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

William Ross is listed on the movie's IMDB credits as one of the orchestrators.

Can't anybody have added that to IMDB? It's about as reliable a source as Wikipedia...

I wonder if Giacchino will have consulted with JW on this score. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing "Score Consultant: John Williams" in the end credits, and it might provide a bit of scoring consistency.

20 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I bet Giacchino is working extra hours on the 'burn' track titles.

1) Des-plotting to Overthrow.

2) A Rejected Des-plot.

His work shows that he's not that smart. 

35 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

His work shows that he's not that smart. 

IIRC it's Gia's music editor who pun-ishes his soundtrack album track titles.

5 minutes ago, Incanus said:

IIRC it's Gia's music editor who pun-ishes his soundtrack album track titles.

Does he name the cues too? Because most OST names are derived from the cue names, and these are all listed on ASCAP.

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Does Giacchino never orchestrate his work? 

Only a few cues here and there.  His regular orchestrators these days are Tim Simonec, Peter Boyer, Jeff Kryka, and some others

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

I bet Giacchino is working extra hours on the 'burn' track titles.

Giacchino doesn't come up with the cue titles, his music editor and other members of his team do.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Giacchino doesn't come up with the cue titles, his music editor and other members of his team do.

Giacchino does it as well. I've heard him personally say that he and his music team compete for the best puns.

Right but when he is going into Rogue one directly from Doctor Strange, which he went into directly from Star Trek Beyond, which he went into directly from Zootopia.... I'm sure he's too busy writing lots of music right now to spend time thinking about cue titles.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Right but when he is going into Rogue one directly from Doctor Strange, which he went into directly from Star Trek Beyond, which he went into directly from Zootopia.... I'm sure he's too busy writing lots of music right now to spend time thinking about cue titles.

Yeah I doubt he does it these days much, if at all. Though it'll be a nice de-stressing and a fun mental break from the crushing pressure of a 5 week Star Wars Score. 

I don't think any of the score will be puns actually. He dialled it back on Dr Strange, so likely he will dial it back even more for Star Wars.

8 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I can't picture Juh- sounding the same as i say 'Gia'. Can you give me an example of an english word with a 'juh-' sound?

"Just", more or less.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'm certain Gia consulted Williams over lunch, at least.

You don't just call John Williams. "Hey, John! What the fuck?" - Alexandre Desplat

15 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

"Just", more or less.

Yeah that maybe right . Maybe the 'J' sound should be a little more sustained (because of "G+i") and less blunt. But it is close. Thanks

My English is bad... But I often try to read (and understand) your comments and thoughts on Giacchino's scores. It seems that no one enjoys his work here.
Why so? I think he is a pretty talanted composer. Much more talented than Zimmer... 

Many here like Giacchino.  Many don't. 

Maybe you've seen more negative than positive posts recently, but if you read threads dedicated to his scores you'll see lots of excellent discussion. 

Often the most vocal commentators are the most scathing. If you're looking for support for Giacchino here I think you've come to the wrong place...

Everyone has his/her own truth. For me Giacchino's scores are inspirational. I should admit though, that sometimes he sounds rather generic. But this fact is not bad at all. That means Giacchino has a good old fashioned musical taste.

He's starting to sound generic and repetitive because he's doing way too many scores in a row without taking a break. Jurassic World was just so disappointing when he can clearly write more inspired material (he clearly didn't have the time to flesh out the score, or was exhausted after Jupiter Ascending, Inside Out and Tomorrowland).

Haters are always more vocal than lovers. For example, people read bad reviews for movies more than good reviews, and the most popular movie related youtube channels are ones that negatively talk about people and films. E.g. Red Letter Media, Honest Trailers, Cinemasins etc. No one really watches youtube film reviews of people praising a film. Negativity is unfortunately more popular than positivity. Basically every single story on the news is negative. The world is full of it.

So clearly those on here who dislike a composer, simply wont shut up about it because they think that more people will read their opinion than if they were praising someone.