Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

My problem with it is that it sounds like you said a cheap knock-off. Nothing classy about it. I guess I am allergic Giacchino's recent theme constructions.

And yet you award it 3,5 and at times 4 stars!

Seen the film 4 times and listened to the score on repeat. 

I like "Your Father Would Have Been Proud" and the Anakin's Dark Deeds style parody in "Hope".

Overall the music is serviceable but unspectacular. 

3/5

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Well, it is a better theme than his Nazi theme from MOH scores. And, to be quite frank, it is bit more memorable than Kylo Ren themes (if somewhat not as refined musically).

Karol

Kylo Ren's "hesitant" theme is terrific

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

It's the more interesting one of the two.

Karol

I agree. And it's the one that will probably get the biggest workout in the sequels, as it is the "true" theme of what the character is about, if that makes sense

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Well, it is a better theme than his Nazi theme from MOH scores. And, to be quite frank, it is bit more memorable than Kylo Ren themes (if somewhat not as refined musically).

Karol

I agree it's more memorable than the Kylo Ren themes, which were never much anyway. But it sounds far more distracting, and more awkward in construction. As with most Gia villain themes, it's just an awkward recombination of Williams' familiar intervals anyway.

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

I like how Giacchino's hope theme sounds like a cheap knock-off of Luke's theme at first but then you realise at the end that this is exactly the point as you hear the film's last line and where it ends. It was always meant to anticipate Williams' iconic melody but can't be fully stated until the end credits. Nice.

Karol - who also likes how Giacchino ends the final Vader's theme statement with Death Star motif

The theme itself is actually not that bad. In fact, I'd like it if the second half was less awkward in construction. When it the 5th just steps to the 6th, it feels prematurely neutered, especially after the leaping intervals before it. It's also particularly distracting in context, often taking you out of the film. Could have been a rather sweeping melody otherwise.

Just now, KK said:

The theme itself is actually not that bad. In fact, I'd like it if the second half was less awkward in construction. When it the 5th just steps to the 6th, it feels prematurely neutered, especially after the leaping intervals before it. It's also particularly distracting in context, often taking you out of the film. Could have been a rather sweeping melody otherwise.

Wouldn't you agree that that awkwardness might be exactly the point? If it were a fully formed sweeping melody then the whole point of "anticipating Luke's theme" (the true hope, as it were) would have been lost.

Karol

7 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Wouldn't you agree that that awkwardness might be exactly the point? If it were a fully formed sweeping melody then the whole point of "anticipating Luke's theme" (the true hope, as it were) would have been lost.

Karol

I would, if I didn't feel that way about most modern Gia themes  ;)

Also, if it serves the context poorly, then what's the point? I like the idea of teasing Luke's theme with that opening perfect fifth, but doesn't work as well past that.

It's the kind of melody that draws comparisons to Williams' unmatched craft at this skill, as much as those should be avoided.

There just wasn't a pressing need for the Imperial March in the prequels. I recall about 5 or 6 statements of the theme in ROTS: Anakin rejected by the Jedi Council, Palpatine's christening of Darth Vader, Anakin closing the blast doors in the Mustafar bunker, an oblique reference to the Imperial March in Anakin's Dark Deeds (the three downbeats on the tonic to the fourth and final downbeat on submediant, with a similar lurching rhythm to the Imperial March's triplet ostinato), this moment, Vader's helmet screwing shut and that scene Karol mentioned on the Star Destroyer bridge. When you consider the about of time Vader and the Empire are shown on screen, Williams and Lucas went further than expected. 

I've heard the score for Rogue One and wasn't crazy about it. I'll probably see the film at Christmas when you go down to the cost to say with my fam, but I'm not setting my hopes up.

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

If The Imperial March didn't exist, and just Vader's motif was used for the Empire up until now, and then Giacchino composed the Imperial March for this film, some on here would call it cheesy, because it is. It works perfectly in 1980, but now it really wouldn't work if invented in todays more serious filmmaking tone.

I can imagine it now - 

"Seriously though, that stupidly over the top nazi 'I'M EVILLLL' imperial march that Giacchino wrote for the empire, was just laughable. Completely took me out of the film."

I kinda see what you're saying, but the Imperial Theme he did write is even more cheesy and over the top 

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Arent you a little bit too old for puns?

One is never too old! 

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The only "punny" track title I like better than the "official one" is Scarif Tactics

That one's good too. 

22 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The last minute of Confrontation On Eadu is the one for me.

22 hours ago, dfenton85 said:

That's is definitely one of the album's highlights.

Yes. And thanks to that, also my favorite moment of the movie

10 minutes ago, dfenton85 said:

Would Gia's Imperial Theme be better received if it was actually titled Krennic's Theme?

I thought that they are actually two different themes.

Karol

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

I kinda see what you're saying, but the Imperial Theme he did write is even more cheesy and over the top 

I'd say it was equally cheesy and over the top , but we're just so used to the Imperial March that we view it as less cheesy and OTT than it is.

I like to think of Giacchino's Imperial theme as just a precursor to the Death Star motif, like a build up for example, as if Williams' Death Star motif is the big finale to a full Death Star theme, that's half Giacchino, half Williams. Because most of, if not all its appearances are ended with the Death Star motif, especially in the piece 'When Has Become Now.' They seem like one theme together.

That way I can like it better when thought of in context with the film. On album listen I like it, but in the film it did have an extra cheesy feeling.

The fact that Krennic's music is cheesy and over-the-top makes sense. It's basically music for his inflated ego and thus fits the story and character well.

Karol

Just now, BloodBoal said:

I think you're overthinking this and giving too much credit to Giacchino. ;)

As someone once said. And I'm going to paraphrase. You might question Giacchino's abilities as a composers but you can't fault his skill as a storyteller.

Karol

Croc is waxing Doug Adams-style prose for Giacchino where the merit doesn't necessarily exist. :P

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The fact that Krennic's music is cheesy and over-the-top makes sense. It's basically music for his inflated ego and thus fits the story and character well.

Karol

Again, I'd buy that if most Gia villain themes didn't share that same quality ;)

It's funny.

Giacchino quotes-reworks the grail theme in tomorrowland and its a cute nod to Williams.

Here he reworks the imperial march to create a different imperial theme, and the same people say it is completely wrong. I dont understand. ...

1 hour ago, dfenton85 said:

So in that Imperial Suite track, is the imperial theme at 0:05 and Krennic's theme at 1:06?

I think so? I will say I like that second theme much much better. The first just sounds like a bad parody of the Imperial March, no way around it.

Krennic's sounds like a character theme developed out of the Imperial March.

I tried to read the Filmtracks thread and I had to evacuate my eyes from the page shortly after because the formatting was making my brain begin a phased shutdown.

2003 called, they want their forum back.