Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

30 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm sure Giacchino had 50 cups a day minimum in the 4 weeks he had to get Rogue One done.

That, and a shrink on his team.

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I agree, Gia did a great job considering the circumstances.

I actually agree on that.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Post 2015, I really really like Star Trek Beyond and Doctor Strange.  Spider-Man: Homecoming has grown on me some, his Apes scores are wildly overrated, and his 2018 scores (Incredibles 2 / Fallen Kingdom) just didn't leave much of an impression on me.

Star Trek Beyond is easily my favourite from that series, and the Marvel scores there too. Fallen Kingdom is my favourite of all. His Apes scores are overrated but they're not bad.

1 hour ago, Larry O said:

I think rumors of enmity & dissatisfaction behind the scenes sound plausible enough, sure, but I also don't put a ton of stock into them myself, not just because I don't want to put stock into them (I like both Williams and Giacchino and don't like the idea of there being any sort of bad blood even if it's one-sided) but because it just seems weird to me.

Fully agreed.

It might be true, but if it is, then I don't want to know about it.

Plus... Giacchino's name is still attached to Galaxy's Edge, along with Williams' own, right?

Seems unlikely that would be the case if there really was something terrible going on between the two.

1 hour ago, Larry O said:

Do I think he needed to spend so much time and energy coming up with two different Imperial motifs when he already had two pre-existing ones to work with (that he ended up incorporating anyway)? Nah. I don't. And maybe that time could have been better spent on making other aspects of the score sound more Williams-y. I don't feel all that comfortable armchair directing that particular situation with all the hindsight I have, especially since those Imperial Motifs actually work pretty decently as an (unnecessary) bridge from 1977 to 1980.

My assumption is that Giacchino simply couldn't resist the temptation to write new stuff.

Or he's had those alternate evil themes floating around his head for many years and he finally had an excuse to put them to use.

In other words, there might be plausible scenario's where the addition of those two technically unnecessary themes weren't really to the detriment of his time and effort spent elsewhere.

Plus... I still quite like 'em. They're fun. And as character themes for Krennic and Tarkin, their existence kind-of makes sense to me.

Somewhere on this forum you can find me spouting some very, very harsh opinions about this score.  My view has softened considerably over the past couple of years, actually.  I wouldn't say I love it, but there are very enjoyable cues.

5 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Love this score and have been listening to it regularly. None of the issues discussed at length here and elsewhere bother me at all. 

*shrugs shoulders*

My thoughts exactly. I love this score.

If Desplat's Valerian (which I've tried to love based on all the positive reviews) is an indication of what me might have gotten for his RO then I'm happy MG got the gig. 

Desplat's scores just seem soulless to me (regardless of how proficient he is technically).

Even with Williams' involvement; I don't like the Solo score. I think Williams' theme is weak, and Powell's use of it is as well. I like Powell's Love theme but that's it. I can't stand the RCP drums. And at least 50% of the score is Williams related, with Powell just 'adapting' it. I haven't listened to any of it since the first couple of times when it was released. Rogue One is far superior for me. It has only about 5 minutes of direct Williams material, and the rest explores Giacchino's own themes indepth. 

Wasnt Rogue one going to be more williams-themes centered but then they changed their minds and giacchinos has to use less Williams material? Or It was the other way?

3 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I can't stand the RCP drums.

Agree on this point. I do like Solo as a score as much as RO even though they are quite different, but those drum pads in the Here They Come quote are completely inappropriate and unnecessary.

I love both Rogue One and Solo, solid efforts from both composers, but hating Powell's score for the percussion? Yeah, it doesn't really sound Star Wars-y but you guys would be complaining if he didn't add his own stylistic voice!

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

I love both Rogue One and Solo, solid efforts from both composers, but hating Powell's score for the percussion? Yeah, it doesn't really sound Star Wars-y but you guys would be complaining if he didn't add his own stylistic voice!

I'm fine with real acoustic percussion, just not the "beats" variety Powell seems to love.

• 1 year later...

Don't know if this has been posted before, but thanks to the bootlegs we now have the complete cue list for the movie:

1m01 He’s Here For Us
1m02 A Long Ride Ahead
1m03 Wobani Imperial Labor Camp
1m10 The Defector
1m13 Jyn’s Rescue
1m15 Jyn’s Interrogation
2m01 Trust Goes Both Ways
2m03 When Has Become Now
2m04 Jyn’s Memories
2m11 Jedha Arrival
2m13 Hearts Of Kyber
2m14a Guardians Of The Whills
2m14bFV Jedha City Ambush
2m16 Let Them Pass In Piece
3m20FV Today Of All Days
3m21 Star-Dust
3m22FV An Imperial Test Of Power
3m23 Apologies Are In Order
3m24 Imperial Departure
4m25 Approach to Eadu
4m26FV No Trust Among Rebels
4m27 Jyn’s Path is Clear
4m28 Confrontation on Eadu
5m29 Krennic’s Aspirations
5m30 Rebellions are Built on Hope
5m31 A Rebel Change Of Heart
5m32 Rogue One
5m33 Cargo Shuttle SW-608
5m34 Good Luck Little Sister
5m35 What Brings You To Scarif?
5m36 Are We Blind?
6m37 Scrambling the Rebel Fleet
6m38a AT-ACT Assault
6m39b The Battle Continues
6m40 Project Stardust
6m41 Entering the Imperial Archives
6m42 Get That Beach Under Control
6m43FV The Master Switch
7m44FV We Have To Press The Attack
7m45 You’ve Lost
7m45 I Have An Idea
7m46 Your Father Would Be Proud
7m47 Hope
7m48 End Credits
Jyn Erso & Hope Suite
Guardians of the Whills Suite
The Imperial Suite
Jedha Suite

The sheets have never leaked and the Sessions have never leaked. The cues that weren't on the FYC are fan made speculation of what the real reel/part numbers would be

2 hours ago, Spider-Fal said:

Seems fake to me, not sure a real cue list would say FV?

It's from the raw FYC website filenames. I'm not sure what it's supposed to signify exactly, but I doubt they'd be on the original sessions files.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Don't know if this has been posted before, but thanks to the bootlegs we now have the complete cue list for the movie:

What bootlegs?

9 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

It's from the raw FYC website filenames. I'm not sure what it's supposed to signify exactly, but I doubt they'd be on the original sessions files.

FV = film version, i.e. it's been edited significantly to match the way it was edited in the film and meet FYC requirements

At least, that's my assumption.

EDIT: Just a fan edit, @crumbs. Nothing to see here. 😋 These names have been out for years and I'm sure they were just created by a fan. Sorry, @Edmilson!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The sheets have never leaked and the Sessions have never leaked. The cues that weren't on the FYC are fan made speculation of what the real reel/part numbers would be

As far as I'm aware I was the first person to post the cue titles in 2016 on the day they were added on the ASCAP website, however most of the cue numbers I wrote down were speculation, just using the FYC numbers as a reference. Some of these cue titles are different than their names on ASCAP, so whoever posted this particular edit changed some of the titles a little bit, and combined a few cues together.

And then of course as Datameister said, the "FV" was only for the FYC titles only, as they were edited. Those definitely aren't part of the actual cue numbers.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here are the titles that I originally posted, these are the actual cue titles:

1m01 He's Here For Us
1m02 A Long Ride Ahead
1m03 Wobani Imperial Labor Camp
?m?? There's Spies Everywhere
?m?? The Detention of Jyn Erso
?m?? Jyn's Interrogation
?m?? Trust Goes Both Ways
?m?? When Has Become Now
?m?? Jyn's Memories of Childhood
2m11a Mission to Jedha Pt. 1
2m11b Mission to Jedha Pt. 2