Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's exactly what they did

Actually track 57 starts with the same performance as track 46 before switching to the alternate section a few seconds later, which makes the issue pretty easy to fix (combine 46 with 57 and you're good).

But still, they should have presented the track properly edited, this makes no sense.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Look, it's brainless laziness or it's literally nothing.  This is unfortunately our only choices.

That's the mentality that'll lead us back to licking their balls for half-expansions with 2 bonus tracks and an even worse scrambled program and 30 minute score albums! "It's better than nothing!"

2 minutes ago, Holko said:

That's the mentality that'll lead us back to licking their balls for half-expansions with 2 bonus tracks and an even worse scrambled program and 30 minute score albums! "It's better than nothing!"

Disney:

image.png

Every JWFan whether they like it or not:

image.png

6 minutes ago, Power Windows said:

Holko arguing with Stu about Lazy releases, Circa February 10th 2022, Colorized

maxresdefault.jpg

I don't get it

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

I don't get it

You are the "extreme" Saw Guerrara.

Stu is the less "extreme", mire... resigned? Mothma.

2 minutes ago, Power Windows said:

Stu is the less "extreme" Mothma.

Oh, didn't even see the other figures. And sure as hell didn't recognise Saw. Even though I did see all of Rebels once.

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

All of a sudden everybody like this score?

Anybody who still listens to me rambling about Star Wars knows that I for one don't like this score. In spite of that, I find it worthwhile to have this score in my collection. Loads of people who enjoyed the film also speak highly of its score. I do not share their opinion, but it is worth studying to understand what people might like.

Perversely, I am opening my wallet to the very production that so horrendously short-changed the music department (chiefly Giacchino) — I'm paying to nurse a grudge, I guess?

Well I finally finished listening to the whole thing.

Didn't change my opinion of the score.  Oh well.

Giacchino's original Main Title idea (heard at the end of "A Long Ride Ahead (Alternate End)" is a ripoff of the optimistic David Arnold fanfare from ID4 and Godzilla

The missing end credits material aside, I'm pretty certain other music is absent too - where's the music when Jyn and Cassian enter the market on Jeddah for example? "Expanded" is the correct terminology here. ;)

I can see this is available on Qobuz in New Zealand and Germany, though weirdly only in CD quality. You'd think it would get a high res release since Solo and the Disney demasters of 1-6 did.

This is exactly like the Tron Legacy expanded release - it was just dumped on iTunes and Digital and not a word was uttered about it. You know how great it would've been had Disney given it to some label to produce a collectible physical product, with artwork etc.? How does one cherish a lazily edited digital release?

What worries me is that it was clearly easy for Disney to do this meaning properly curated and edited albums, done by the likes of Matessino are probably less likely now that this is out there. It just goes to show they're not putting this out for the type of fans who'll pay for boutique labels, rather, the type who will put this in their Spotify playlist and listen to it casually. I'm hoping beyond hope that Disney will fund a proper presentation of Williams' Star Wars scores and not just dump it on some digital platform like it was nothing.

5 minutes ago, Arpy said:

This is exactly like the Tron Legacy expanded release - it was just dumped on iTunes and Digital and not a word was uttered about it. You know how great it would've been had Disney given it to some label to produce a collectible physical product, with artwork etc.? How does one cherish a lazily edited digital release?

What worries me is that it was clearly easy for Disney to do this meaning properly curated and edited albums, done by the likes of Matessino are probably less likely now that this is out there. It just goes to show they're not putting this out for the type of fans who'll pay for boutique labels, rather, the type who will put this in their Spotify playlist and listen to it casually. I'm hoping beyond hope that Disney will fund a proper presentation of Williams' Star Wars scores and not just dump it on some digital platform like it was nothing.

Wasn't Tron Legacy just all the exclusive tracks collected with the original release, didn't include anything new?

Seems to be a trend with Disney putting these out with no fanfare, wasn't it just John Powell talking about Solo's deluxe edition?

Cherish is a strong word, unfortunately what else can we do? It always comes down to money, not buying it sends the message that there's no interest, complaining online and tweeting/emailing Disney might work, but looking at the debacle that was Hunchback's Legacy edition I'd doubt it. Having a cd release with Mike Matessino overseeing the production would be a dream come true, and him having a strong relationship with John Williams as far as expansions go gives me hope that any Skywalker Saga releases would have him overseeing it. But the reality is they'll probably be dumped online with tons of problems that'll never get fixed.

Was there ever a list published of all the new themes and motifs for this score? Just asking if anyone knows. Listening to the new expanded version of this great score makes me marvel all over again at what Giacchino actually achieved. What I adored about his approach is how faithfully he reproduced a lot of the woodwind nuances from the original 1977 Score.

Mission to Jedha 
0:21 - 0:26 just before the 20 second pause.

Let them Pass in Peace (Part 1) 
0:25 - 0:31

Imperial Departure 
0:14 - 0:27 and a gorgeous moment at 0:37 towards the close.

Finding a way Through
0:10 - 0:25

When has become now... 
I love the only statement in the score of the original Death Star fanfare from ANH as well as a tiny singular statement of the original motif for the Empire (again from ANH) at 1:27 played by a solo muted Trombone.

The fact that Giacchino not only wrote this entire score as well as three album only suites as well as alternates whilst being challenged with following on from Williams is even more impressive. This release was a bolt out of the blue. Too bad there will be no CD release. I'm just happy finally to have all the music as written. Bravo Maestro Giacchino! 

50 minutes ago, Arpy said:

What worries me is that it was clearly easy for Disney to do this meaning properly curated and edited albums, done by the likes of Matessino are probably less likely now that this is out there. It just goes to show they're not putting this out for the type of fans who'll pay for boutique labels, rather, the type who will put this in their Spotify playlist and listen to it casually. I'm hoping beyond hope that Disney will fund a proper presentation of Williams' Star Wars scores and not just dump it on some digital platform like it was nothing

I know Disney owns the music. But wouldn’t Williams have some say before they do that? Isn’t he kinda the reason why they haven’t done that yet?  (Maybe not THE reason. But isn’t he hard to come around on expansions of his scores unless it’s MM? I know we’ve had a lot of Williams expansions lately. I just think he maybe has some hang up? Lol.I’m probably marking this all up haha. I’ll go away now…)

2 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

I know Disney owns the music. But wouldn’t Williams have some say before they do that? Isn’t he kinda the reason why they haven’t done that yet?  (Maybe not THE reason. But isn’t he hard to come around on expansions of his scores unless it’s MM? I know we’ve had a lot of Williams expansions lately. I just think he maybe has some hang up? Lol.I’m probably marking this all up haha. I’ll go away now…)

No wait come back! I always thought it was a courtesy to ask, but not necessary? Would Williams have really signed off on the Ultimate edition of TPM if he had definitive control over what's released?

1 minute ago, King Mark said:

I'd rather have Williams somewhat complete recording sessions dumped on a digital platform than waiting 20 more years.

As a Williams fan this released is like a giant middle finger from Disney

Agreed, even if we did have to wait another twenty years there'd still be things that we'd complain were missing or not done right.

The timing is odd, but perhaps it is Williams standing in the way?

3 hours ago, Anthony said:

The missing end credits material aside, I'm pretty certain other music is absent too - where's the music when Jyn and Cassian enter the market on Jeddah for example? "Expanded" is the correct terminology here. ;)

Coincidentally that's the one piece I accidentally forgot to add on my old edit. Maybe they used it as a reference! :lol:

8 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Coincidentally that's the one piece I accidentally forgot to add on my old edit. Maybe they used it as a reference! :lol:

Maybe they thought it would be easier to copy your work then start from scratch 😂.

Was that the only source cue? Was there not one or two at Saw's hideout?

1 minute ago, crypto said:

Mike has said repeatedly that everyone involved knows it needs to happen and wants to do it. I'm really not sure why we haven't seen any of the JW scores expanded yet, when both the other films have been done.

That's true, Mike hasn't said that Williams himself is against it, if everyone knows and wants it to happen, something is preventing it though. Was being more hyperbolic saying it was Williams himself though standing in the way.

9 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

That's true, Mike hasn't said that Williams himself is against it, if everyone knows and wants it to happen, something is preventing it though. Was being more hyperbolic saying it was Williams himself though standing in the way.

It's entirely possible Williams had no interest in revisiting Star Wars after he was through with TROS. Maybe he was burned out? Maybe his preference is for Mike to focus on lesser-known remasters like Fiddler, Images, Eiger...

His management do appear to have some input in what expansions proceed and whether it's 'the right time' to work on something.

2 minutes ago, crypto said:

It's entirely possible Williams had no interest in revisiting Star Wars after he was through with TROS. Maybe he was burned out? Maybe his preference is for Mike to focus on lesser-known remasters like Fiddler, Images, Eiger...

His management do appear to have some input in what expansions proceed and whether it's 'the right time' to work on something.

That's my thinking, more that they're further down the priorities and that's what's holding them up. Getting older scores out there with Mike involved is something Williams is interested in, but he still chooses what gets released, The Rare Breed, Story of a Woman, The Sugarland Express are one's that have been vetoed, bit there's still plenty to look forward to!

31 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Was that the only source cue? Was there not one or two at Saw's hideout?

There's 5

A Game of Dejarik
Kafrene Temple Music
The Jedha Khamseen
The Jedha Sirocco
The Whills Temple Chant

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's 5

A Game of Dejarik
Kafrene Temple Music
The Jedha Khamseen
The Jedha Sirocco
The Whills Temple Chant

Five is like one or two right? As usual your infinite knowledge of these things is astounding! As for why they weren't included is the real head scratcher.

1 minute ago, ymenard said:

So if we have one of those "complete score" boot made from the FYC and the BR, do we need this? 

Yes

Is there more content

Yes

and does it sound better?

Yes

8 minutes ago, ymenard said:

So if we have one of those "complete score" boot made from the FYC and the BR, do we need this?  Is there more content and does it sound better?

From what people are saying you'll need the End Credits and source music that the complete boots have, and to add some of track 46 to 57 to make it a complete cue, as 57 just starts in the middle. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but others have said it's the same as the original release.

Well, that's out of the blue for sure. 

Strangely, I am not yet seeing lossless versions (HDTracks, Qobuz) yet. It's midnight in EST and Qobuz usually goes live at midnight France time. 

Anyway else seeing lossless for purchase links yet?