Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

I'll buy this probably from HDTracks. I know a lot of people don't like Giacchino here and I am very mixed on him myself. I'm also mixed on this score. I think some of it is very good and some of it sounded like it belonged in a Disney park. However, for the most part I do enjoy this score and the movie is probably my second favorite of the Disney era. 

8 minutes ago, lairdo said:

Well, that's out of the blue for sure. 

Strangely, I am not yet seeing lossless versions (HDTracks, Qobuz) yet. It's midnight in EST and Qobuz usually goes live at midnight France time. 

Anyway else seeing lossless for purchase links yet?

Still waiting for it to pop up in the UK.

20 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

I'll buy this probably from HDTracks. I know a lot of people don't like Giacchino here and I am very mixed on him myself. I'm also mixed on this score. I think some of it is very good and some of it sounded like it belonged in a Disney park. However, for the most part I do enjoy this score and the movie is probably my second favorite of the Disney era. 

The first half is a little repetitive, Solo was a better effort. What's your favourite movie of the Disney era?

4 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

This will be wildly unpopular but I maintain TLJ was the best made film of the Disney era

As far as plot and characterization goes I'd disagree, but in terms of visuals/cinematography, practical effects it is definitely the best of the Disney era, but as @greenturnedblue pointed out, this is the Rogue One score thread, not the star wars thread.

16 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Bought the lossless album from Qobuz this morning. For some reason can't paste the link though?

Ah yes, the long gap is indeed there. 😆

Karol

Is this the link? https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-michael-giacchino/togz2bb12dcva

Small thing putting together my own edit is that "We Have To Press The Attack" in the film and FYC seems to have a modified opening compared to the new set.

1 hour ago, greenturnedblue said:

And whats with the alternate opening of the Jyn Erso & Hope suite? sounds like its going to settle into Leias theme

Tracks 49 & 51 feature transitions to JW material.

2 minutes ago, Imperivm said:
  • 3m22 An Imperial Test of Power
    • Expanded features alternate longer opening [0:00-1:08]
    • FYC has alternate opening [0:00-0:21]

The FYC opening is actually tracked from a later section of the same track [1:36-1:51]. The track on the expanded release presents the proper opening.

2 minutes ago, Chewy said:

The FYC opening is actually tracked from a later section of the same track [1:36-1:51]. The track on the expanded release presents the proper opening.

Thanks for the correction, I'll edit my reply to include the information

17 minutes ago, Imperivm said:
  • 7m44 We Have to Press the Attack
    • Expanded has original opening
    • FYC features brassy insert on top of original recording [0:00-0:06]

The different thing appearing on the FYC is not an insert. They actually pitch shifted down the section from 0:16 to 0:22 and edited it in the opening of the cue.

As a proof, the spectrogram shows that higher frequencies were lost because of the pitch shifting:

image.png

So once again I guess the track on the expanded release features the original and only version of the cue :) 

Finally gave a few tracks a quick listen. The silence in track is very bizarre, but I stand by my view - it's so easily fixed.

The opening of the last track... I find it hard to understand how someone decided that was the best way to present the cue, instead of just putting on the entire track. That is very surprising for a Disney release.

2 hours ago, Imperivm said:

• 2m14b Jedha City Ambush
    • Album has Original Version
    • FYC is labelled as Film Version: short edit + added guitar / synth (?) insert in the opening

The inclusion of an “alternate” (in fact the film version) is something of an anomaly.

It’s 1 min shorter than the original cue - and it’s clear that the cue was shortened by the music editors, since there’s a pretty conspicuous cross fade a few seconds in.

I believe that the cue was meant to start earlier in the scene (which, in film, is un-scored for a minute or so). The remaining part of the scene is underscored by the final minute of the cue - which would indicate that music was intended for that section of the sequence, and the opening few bars were tacked onto the beginning for the sake of musical coherence.

The mix/edit heard in the film, and on the FYC is identical to the one labelled as an “alternate”.

The only differences between the album version and alternate are (1) the duration of the cue (a minute of music is removed roughly 10-15 secs into the cue) and (2) the inclusion of electric guitar and bass guitar in the mix. I don’t believe these layers were an overdub, as you can faintly hear both instruments bleeding through the album mix (which lacks the guitar and bass). So it would seem that these instruments were recorded at the same time as the orchestra and mixed out for the album version.

So - in this new album, why didn’t they include the complete film mix, with the guitar and bass, in its full duration as a track in the main program?

I’d speculate that this is due to legal technicalities, rather than a deliberate decision on the part of whoever assembled the album. They almost certainly had access to the original mix (not the version heard on the album) - but perhaps they couldn’t include it as it was ostensibly the same piece as the one heard on the OST. Perhaps this would be an issue with streaming platforms, which often mix up different versions of the same song when they are not clearly labelled. Perhaps their only option was to include the music as heard in the film.

Or perhaps the record label was obligated to include the original album mixes wherever appropriate and possible, and include any new material as completely new tracks.

This is pure speculation and educated guessing - I don’t claim to have any insider knowledge of how this album was assembled!

Either way, the absence of the original mix of Jedha City Ambush is somewhat baffling, but isn’t too significant on the whole.

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Finally gave a few tracks a quick listen. The silence in track is very bizarre, but I stand by my view - it's so easily fixed.

The opening of the last track... I find it hard to understand how someone decided that was the best way to present the cue, instead of just putting on the entire track. That is very surprising for a Disney release.

It seems like there was either a mistake in the process of delivering the final masters, or perhaps no-one even noticed…? It’s an oddity, but it’s so easily fixed in Audacity, so I’m not going to complain to much!

Yes, indeed - there's nothing in this release that can't be quickly patched up.

Either some editor does the work and no one checks the final result, or they didn't think that presenting a partial track like this was an issue. But I agree with you that this is not grounds to describe the set, as some have, as 'zero effort'.

So given the "end credits" alternates with the transitions into / out of Star Wars did they re-record the Star Wars parts of the end credits or just drop in the original music?

3 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

So given the "end credits" alternates with the transitions into / out of Star Wars did they re-record the Star Wars parts of the end credits or just drop in the original music?

I asked this question to myself too (in fact I never listened to the film End Credits of the movie until yesterday).

Anyway, that's enough litigious it seems to prevent any official release on record!

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

I believe there was an interview with Giacchino where he mentioned they used Williams original sketches from Episode 4 and recorded it. 

23 minutes ago, Ollie said:

I believe there was an interview with Giacchino where he mentioned they used Williams original sketches from Episode 4 and recorded it. 

A new recording and we don't get it. The prequels used the same recording of the main title and we got all of those. (I don't remember which ones were not new performances.) 

OTOH, I'm really enjoying the expanded Rogue One. Glad to have it. But yeah, some things are weird. 

I was thinking (over thinking?) about the frequent use of the Force (Ben's) theme even when there are no nearly Jedi about. It feels like the way Williams meant the Throne Room to be: as an echo of the Republic. Or it was the most memorable theme that wasn't Luke's theme and it fits the tone of the film. What do I know? 

JW use The Force Theme, as The Force Theme... you didn't watch The Last Jedi do you??? The Force theme is played in almost every cue!!! :lol:

I can't find this on Amazon.de. They seem to often delay releases that should be available and are available elsewhere these days. Or did I miss something in this case? No release in Germany? 

Just finish listening to it. I think it is okey, some tracks are great but as a whole its just fine. Not one of my favorite Giacchino or Star Wars scores. I always thought that the highlights where on the OST so I didn't care if this get an exdended/deluxe version (unlike Williams and Powell where I defenetly wants it) but it is nice to have the complete score. 

Haven’t listened to this score since it came out. Man, I forgot how jarring the “pseudo-Lukes theme” is when the fanfare starts at the end of “Long Road ahead.” Kinda makes me bristle a tad. I much prefer the alternate. Glad that was included. The rest of the score remains decent Giacchino for me. Hasn’t really changed my opinion. Happy this got an official release though and pray it’s door opening for expansions of Williams saga scores!

I gave this a listen and had an enjoyable time. 

I've never overly loved nor disliked this score, I'm somewhere in the middle. There are moments I like and moments that I don't. Overall, I'm happy that we have this expansion, despite the weird silences and very jarring track 57 start. Yes, I think there should have been more quality and finesse put into it. 

So aside from missing source music, it's also missing what Elvisjones described as being the copy/pasted Williams material which then had to be rewritten. Unless those things were changed before the actual recording of the score. If those stories are true then I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't be released. But, seeing as this is kind of just a dump of a folder of the sessions, I was hoping there would have been some sign of something like that on here. 

1 hour ago, Smaug The Iron said:

Just finish listening to it. I think it is okey, some tracks are great but as a whole its just fine. Not one of my favorite Giacchino or Star Wars scores. I always thought that the highlights where on the OST so I didn't care if this get an exdended/deluxe version (unlike Williams and Powell where I defenetly wants it) but it is nice to have the complete score. 

The FYC added some much needed parts I feel. And the expanded soundtrack had a few more that I enjoyed (I just like that Jedha riff a lot). I agree that I didnt really long for it, but it is nice nonetheless.. and a good omen.

(A new hope, dohohohoho)

I’ll give this a listen at some point but I’m not in any rush. I’m not a fan of Giacchino in general though this is one of my very few favourites of his (still faint praise). A lot of it is likely due to my love of the film but I still can’t forgive him for that dreadful handling of the Force theme.

43 minutes ago, LSH said:

I’ll give this a listen at some point but I’m not in any rush. I’m not a fan of Giacchino in general though this is one of my very few favourites of his (still faint praise). A lot of it is likely due to my love of the film but I still can’t forgive him for that dreadful handling of the Force theme.

What's so bad? I mean, partly I think the theme is bullet proof. But I also don't think he misuses it anywhere.

I had another thought about it this morning: Williams used Ben's theme as the sole "good guy" theme for all of the battle of Yavin until Biggs is killed and Luke is on his own. It's used as a statement for the x-wings for crying out loud! So now I have zero problem with it's use in Rogue One. Precedent! :D

Listening this morning I remembered how fantastic I think his Guardians of the Whills theme is.

29 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

What's so bad? I mean, partly I think the theme is bullet proof. But I also don't think he misuses it anywhere.

1 hour ago, LSH said:

I still can’t forgive him for that dreadful handling of the Force theme

Me neither, it's an awful version. I don't blame Williams for not wanting Gia near his themes after hearing this.

I like Giacchino, but Rogue One... Meh, not for me.

8 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

. I don't blame Williams for not wanting Gia near his themes after hearing this.

As I understand it, Williams never objected to Giacchino's interpolation/re-arrangement of his themes, he objected to whole sections of his own original score being re-recorded for the score while the credit was still just "Music by Michael Giacchino"

I don't get it either. There's perhaps one point where the higher strings sound a bit "wonky", but other than that I think it sounds just fine. I've certainly heard much worse, especially in some of the older tv shows.