Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

It's ridiculous how Disney does such a shoddy job with their soundtrack expansions when it only takes fans like us an hour or two to cobble together something more presentable ourselves, though I guess that's also a plus side from a certain point of view -- this bootleg level release only requires an hour or two to spruce up.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

I've seen that one called out a couple of times. What's so bad about it? It's energetic it's ominous. What? 

I don't know, that clumsy horn line at the end. Does not sit well at all.

1 hour ago, greenturnedblue said:

I actually do like how the force theme starts in Trust goes both ways but the back half is sinful

I don't even know that it is an overdub, but it sounds like an awfully mixed overdub. The Force theme sounds like the player recorded their part at home and emailed a separate audio file to the mixer.

11 hours ago, LSH said:

I don't know, that clumsy horn line at the end. Does not sit well at all.

In fact you missing the point here. At that stage in the franchise the Dark Side had won destroying all the Jedi (except Obi-Wan and Yoda of course).

Therefore the Force was at its weakest and, in this particular piece of music, as it starts to rise it then falls appart (which the horn player performed brilliantly. Trully  a genious moment from Giacchino!)

Why do official Disney channel uploads have that undernoise reminiscent of 96kbps mp3s? (yes I did switch the quality to 720p, no do not ask my how I know what very low quality files sound like)

8 hours ago, Holko said:

Why do official Disney channel uploads have that undernoise reminiscent of 96kbps mp3s? (yes I did switch the quality to 720p, no do not ask my how I know what very low quality files sound like)

11 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

They do sound pretty crap.

Maybe they're deliberately uploaded at a low bitrate to get people to buy the real thing. I mean, it's not like this isn't paid-for product in the end.

What's weird is that there are two official uploads.  One is the VEVO upload for the official Disney Music channel and then there is the Youtube Music streaming service upload under Giacchino's name that presumably is the same file found on the other streaming services but can be viewed like a normal Youtube video

Youtube Music:

DIsneyMusicVEVO:

Ah, it does show up on official Disney channel... So that means it wasn't like Solo at all which was only promoted by Powell himself. Well, ignoring some problems, it is a good sign. They're willing to play the ball in some capacity. Hopefully, the Williams releases will be handled with more pomp and care. Which, I am sure, will happen.

Karol

Guessing Solo did well enough with only Powell promoting it that Disney saw money to be made here. Probably without Giacchinno's involvement as he's only put out one tweet about it. Seems this release was done on the cheap, as what was put out didn't have any remixing/mastering, cutting out the end credits bits (possibly because they were direct rerecordings of ANH) and the first half of Scarif Antenna Alignment, all to save money, whereas Powell redid a lot of remixing for Solo (Am I remembering right that he paid for that himself?). Last time Disney made a big fuss over Star Wars soundtracks was the remasters, which went....not so great. Hopefully Mike Matessino see's all this here and elsewhere and is able to convince the higher ups that this is a good step, but the Saga film's need little bit more tlc.

22 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

On that subject, how are y'all's edits coming along? Anyone done anything super creative?

Mines just the release but added the OST version of The Master Switch, FYC We Have to Press the Attack, the end credits from the Blu-ray and dropped the suite alternates. I also went with the pun titles, because it's a Giacchino score, but having trouble coming up with puns for the new tracks (although for Apologies Are In Order I changed to Tarkin Krennic For Granted)

15 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

and the first half of Scarif Antenna Alignment

All of Scarif Antenna Alignment is on the expansion. We just didn't realize originally that the film edit of the first half uses a reverbed fake ending.

Just now, Manakin Skywalker said:

All of Scarif Antenna Alignment is on the expansion. We just didn't realize originally that the film edit of the first half uses a reverbed fake ending.

Sorry what I was getting at there was that they cut it because it was already in track 46, to have less repeated material.

3 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Sorry what I was getting at there was that they cut it because it was already in track 46, to have less repeated material.

I'm... not sure I understand what you mean. There wasn't anything cut out if that's what you're saying.

4 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I'm... not sure I understand what you mean. There wasn't anything cut out if that's what you're saying.

Sorry again, I meant the Alternate having the first half cut, not the original.

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

Ah, it does show up on official Disney channel... So that means it wasn't like Solo at all which was only promoted by Powell himself. Well, ignoring some problems, it is a good sign. They're willing to play the ball in some capacity. Hopefully, the Williams releases will be handled with more pomp and care. Which, I am sure, will happen.

Karol

Actually that's not really the case. The VEVO video @Disco Stu linked to isn't for the Expanded release it's from the original OST. The only place the Expanded release appears on youtube is on the Michael Giacchino - Topic channel. Even then it actually seems to be shadowbanned, in that it takes a lot of effort to actually find the videos.

Searching "Rogue One Expanded" or similar searches doesn't return the album

image.png

Tracks from the OST that were uploaded by VEVO only have the VEVO uploads get promoted

image.png

Even the official playlist for the expanded album replaces the OST tracks with their VEVO versions, I'm not really sure why

The only way to find the playlist is to explicitly search "Michael Giacchino - Topic" and then find it under the albums list. You could also look up track names directly provided they weren't on the ost. If you search on google instead and only show uploads from the last week then it will return you the Topic channel's uploads.

Very weird setup YouTube has

=====================================================================================================

Also, I had some free time earlier and was comparing the new album against the film; I think I might have found a cue that isn't on the expanded album.

It's the piece that plays from 0:00 to 0:22. It should be between Jedha Arrival and Hearts of Kyber. Is it tracked music from elsewhere that I'm just not thinking of, or is it simply unreleased?

It's worth noting that on the FYC Jedha Arrival is 2m11 and Hearts of Kyber is 2m13, but on the expanded release they are right next to each other.

Is this cue 2m12?

10 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

It's the piece that plays from 0:00 to 0:22. It should be between Jedha Arrival and Hearts of Kyber. Is it tracked music from elsewhere that I'm just not thinking of, or is it simply unreleased?

Yeah someone else mentioned that a couple days ago. "The Bazaars of Jedha" is the cue title, and as far as I can tell it's the only one left off for some reason.

Actually, it's likely tracked from somewhere, because one of the OST+FYC+7.1 edits I have has it completely clean. So I'm guessing it's somewhere in the promo, given the lossy nature of the cue (this was before the CD rip surfaced).

8 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Actually, it's likely tracked from somewhere, because one of the OST+FYC+7.1 edits I have has it completely clean. So I'm guessing it's somewhere in the promo, given the lossy nature of the cue (this was before the CD rip surfaced).

I don't recall hearing it anywhere else, but I suppose I could be wrong. We have the cue title though, so that wouldn't make much sense.

I'm just remembering there was an odd leak of sorts at one point, where there was a select number of tracks that might have been sourced from a YT video. Unfortunately, my copy of the files seems to be partially corrupt, as it doesn't want to read the last track at all, so I can't completely check it. But it could be a possible source to look at.

Everything sourced from the film in the edit is lossless, so it couldn't be that either.

I remember there being a YouTube leak at one point, but that wasn't one of them as I used them in my original edit. There was a chunk of "Finding a Way Through" and something else. But "The Bazaars of Jedha" is still the Blu-ray rip (which is almost entirely clean aside from a snort TIE fighter passby).

6 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

Even then it actually seems to be shadowbanned, in that it takes a lot of effort to actually find the videos.

Its actually very easy to find… IF you use music.youtube.com instead of the main site.

Yeah I recall the semi leak of some tracks, but I think it was just mostly bluray rips since the aforementioned Finding a Way Through still had SFX in them then.

So which tracks are faulty? I’ve been trying to get an overview from the comments in the thread of which tracks that have to be “fixed” due to

• silence
  • overlap

So I can fix them before sitting through a listen, if someone could help out. :)

Personally, I’ll also rename the five source cues by adding (source) to the file names.

On 11/02/2022 at 4:37 AM, Jay said:

A Game of Dejarik
Kafrene Temple Music
The Jedha Khamseen
The Jedha Sirocco
The Whills Temple Chant

Anything else?

9 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Well here it is if anyone wants to take a gander on where it might've came from. Would a DVD/BD menu be a likely possibility?

I just checked the DVD/BD menus and it isn't there. Maybe it plays in one of the Blu-Ray bonus features?

DVD:

intro: Krennic's Aspirations (2:19-2:24)

main menu: Confrontation on Eadu (7:00-7:10, 7:11-7:13, 7:13-7:19, 7:20-7:22, 7:26-7:33, 7:35-7:41, 7:42-7:44, 7:46-7:54)

scene selection: Hearts of Kyber (0:05-0:48)

set up: AT-ACT Assault (0:09-0:34, 0:38-0:54)

subtitles: Cargo Shuttle SW-0608 (0:00-0:25, 0:59-1:14)

languages: Rogue One (0:00-0:31.5, 0:39-0:48)

BD:

main menu: Confrontation on Eadu (7:00-7:10, 7:11-7:13, 7:13-7:19, 7:20-7:22, 7:26-7:33, 7:35-7:41, 7:42-7:44, 7:46-7:54)

Also, is there a thread for writing down the music used in DVD/BD menus like this? 

28 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

This site lists it as a Bluray/DVD rip. But I dont know where they got their info from.

https://chrono-score.blogspot.com/2017/08/rogue-one-star-wars-story.html

The person that originally shared it said that is what it was.

I found it just now in the U-Wing featurette, however the audio is only in stereo and there is talking over it, plus the audio tracks is very low bitrate, so it sounds awful. I could not find it anywhere else.

Okay, so I checked through an archive of where the set I mentioned had been posted, and this particular bit stood out from the person who made it:

A couple pieces were found online on youtube and soundcloud, and the rest, ripped from the blu ray.

So it seems most likely at this point that the track was indeed taken from SC, though from where exactly we'd likely need to figure out.

Also, the edit that is listed on that Chrono website likely is an offshoot of the edit I'm referring to, because it's missing some bits. Plus, I know the person who made it, so I'll just double check with him before we decide it's just a superbly cleaned up film rip.

Yeah it's definitely not a film rip, or I would've easily been able to clean it up that well myself. Maybe my earlier joke was actually right and MG uploaded it to SoundCloud for like a week and we just didn't notice. :lol:

40 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

what is an EPK?

Electronic/Entertainment Press Kit

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I found it just now in the U-Wing featurette, however the audio is only in stereo and there is talking over it, plus the audio tracks is very low bitrate, so it sounds awful. I could not find it anywhere else.

Center channel removal with fake stereo?

7 minutes ago, Power Windows said:

Then it was not that. i remember those and were filled with wolume drops where dialogue or sound effects would be. Like an isolated score. And that cue was not among them.

36 minutes ago, Power Windows said:

Center channel removal with fake stereo?

Tried it, but due to the low bitrate the quality is atrocious.

EDIT: I believe I figured out where all of the unreleased cues came from! I checked the iTunes version, and the menu's for the bonus features have a bunch of unreleased music.

EDIT2: Confirmed! All the "leaked" pieces are present, including a couple other bits and pieces I didn't know about, such as a good chunk of "There's Spies Everywhere".

Huh! I actually own RO on digital, so that could be an easy way for me to see if I can get it at a slightly higher quality (since the file I posted pretty much is 128k due to someone likely posting it on SC).

Ah interesting. I'm just now remembering when people were wanting to rip the TLJ iso from iTunes, when it was thought that it was higher quality than the MA copy. I don't recall if it was ever done or if it was even possible then.