Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

Can anyone clarify this for me? The passage from 2:44-3:00 in "Today of all days" sounds familiar. Could it be the same music from anh as the death star locks down its aim to alderaan?

I think in rogue one it also scores a view of the death star getting into position to fire at jedha.

https://www.thewrap.com/michael-giacchino-rogue-one-score-mondo-box-set-tracklist/

Michael Giacchino’s ‘Rogue One’ Score to Become Deluxe Vinyl Box Set From Mondo (Exclusive)

Order your copy this Wednesday

Oscar-winning composer Michael Giacchino’s original score for “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” is getting the Mondo treatment by way of a new box set.

The 2016 film, directed by Gareth Edwards, was the first-ever “Star Wars” spinoff and stands as one of the very best of the recent “Star Wars” films, a distinct and memorable approach to a piece of lore fans have long wondered about: how the Rebels gained knowledge of the fatal flaw in the Death Star that allowed Luke Skywalker to destroy it so readily (with a little help from The Force). Visceral and unique, “Rogue One” emphasized the “war” in “Star Wars.” And part of what made the experience of watching “Rogue One” so unforgettable was Giacchino’s rousing score, which combines the majesty of John Williams’ score for the original trilogy with flourishes that are identifiably (and appreciably) pure Giacchino.

The new Mondo “Rogue One” box set — created in collaboration with Lucasfilm and Walt Disney Records — not only includes that full score, but also over an hour of unreleased material recently unearthed by Giacchino.

“This project was an almost five-week whirlwind of writing, recording, and mixing but I couldn’t have been more enthusiastic about the adventure and will always look back on those days with fond memories,” said Giacchino in an official statement. “As with all the film scores I compose, my goal was to serve the story and the emotions of the film, but I think it was my 10-year-old brain who had the most fun composing for this new and exciting set of Star Wars characters and the worlds they inhabit.”

In addition to providing the music, Giacchino provided new liner notes for the release, which also includes wonderfully stark black-and-white artwork from John Powell. The records are pressed on 180-gram black vinyl. Truly a must-have for “Star Wars” fans the galaxy over.

“It’s no secret that we at Mondo love working with composer Michael Giacchino, and we are thrilled to be releasing a 4-LP set for ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’ with our friends at Walt Disney Records,” said Mondo Music Creative Director Spencer Hickman said in an official statement. “A firm fan-favorite bridging the gap between old and new Star Wars, Michael’s score is phenomenal, featuring nods to John Williams’ classic Star Wars scores whilst firmly being its own thing. A muscular, epic score loaded with emotion and pathos, we present here not only the entire score but an entire hour of previously unheard material, all housed inside a stunning package from artist John Powell.”

The new box set will be $75 and you can order starting on Wednesday, from the official Mondo Shop, where you can also order other Giacchino gems like his scores for “Mission: Impossible 3” and “Speed Racer,” alongside his debut solo album “Travelogue Volume 1.”

See more images and the tracklist from the release below, and may the Force be with you.

Rogue-One-Box-Set-Cover.jpg

Rogue One Sleeve 1

Rogue One Sleeve 2

Rogue One Sleeve 3

Rogue One Sleeve 4

ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack • Expanded Edition 4XLP
Music by Michael Giacchino
Original Star Wars Music by John Williams
Artwork by John Powell

Featuring over an hour of previously unreleased music from the film

$75

Track List

DISC ONE – Side One

1. He’s Here for Us (3:22)
2. A Long Ride Ahead (3:57)
3. Wobani Imperial Labor Camp (0:57)
4. There Are Spies Everywhere (2:16)*
5. The Detention of Jyn Urso (1:13)*
6. Jyn’s Interrogation (1:58)*
7. Mission to Jedha (2:00)*
8. Trust Goes Both Ways (2:46)

DISC ONE – Side Two

1. When Has Become Now (2:01)
2. Jyn’s Memories of Childhood (0:51)*
3. Jedha Arrival (2:50)
4. Hearts of Kyber (0:57)*
5. Ambush in Jedha City (1:09)*
6. Jedha City Ambush (2:21)
7. Let Them Pass in Peace Part 1 (1:24)*
8. Let Them Pass in Peace Part 2 (0:39)*
9. No Friends of the Empire (1:07)*
10. Imperial Departure (0:54)*
11. Reunion at Saw’s Hideout (0:46)*
12. Cassian’s Prison (0:19)*
13. Today of All Days (3:51)*

DISC TWO – Side One

1. Star-Dust (3:48)
2. An Imperial Test of Power (3:37)*
3. Apologies Are in Order (1:37)*
4. News from the Ashes (0:59)*
5. Approach to Eadu (1:19)*
6. No Trust Among Rebels (2:25)*
7. Jyn’s Path Is Clear (2:31)*

DISC TWO – Side Two

1. Confrontation on Eadu (8:09)
2. Krennic’s Aspirations (4:17)
3. Rebellions Are Built on Hope (2:56)
4. A Rebel Change of Heart (1:53)*
5. Rogue One (2:06)

DISC THREE – Side One

1. Cargo Shuttle SW608 (4:01)
2. Good Luck Little Sister (2:49)*
3. What Brings You to Scarif (2:31)*
4. Are We Blind (1:34)*
5. Scrambling the Rebel Fleet (1:34)
6. AT-ACT Assault (2:57)
7. Finding a Way Through (3:37)*

DISC THREE – Side Two

1. Project Star-Dust (3:46)*
2. Entering the Imperial Archives (1:25)*
3. Get That Beach Under Control (1:14)*
4. The Master Switch (4:03)
5. We Have to Press the Attack (2:40)*
6. Antenna Alignment (3:16)*

DISC FOUR – Side One

1. Your Father Would Be Proud (4:53)
2. Hope (1:40)
3. Jyn Erso & Hope Suite (5:53)
4. The Imperial Suite (2:31)
5. Guardians of the Whills Suite (2:53)

DISC FOUR – Side Two

1. Jyn Erso & Hope Suite (Alternate Open) (6:03)*
2. Guardians of the Whills Suite (Alternate Ending) (2:23)*
3. A Long Ride Ahead (Alternate Ending) (4:00)*
4. Jedha City Ambush (Alternate) (1:11)*
5. Rebellions are Built on Hope (Alternate) (2:55)*
6. Scariff Antenna Alignment (Alternate) (1:20)*

*Previously Unreleased

"In addition to providing the music, Giacchino provided new liner notes for the release, which also includes wonderfully stark black-and-white artwork from John Powell."

There's guy in the industry making artwork for film score releases that also goes by John Powell?

And Giacchino wrote liners for this?  It'll be interesting to see how long they are...

23 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Starting to wonder if those 2 minutes of cut music at the beginning of "Scariff Antenna Alignment (Alternate)" were not cut because it couldn't all fit on size 2 of that 4th vinyl...

Nah

DISC ONE – Side One - 18:29
DISC ONE – Side Two - 19:09
DISC TWO – Side One - 16:16
DISC TWO – Side Two - 19:21
DISC THREE – Side One - 19:03
DISC THREE – Side Two - 16:24
DISC FOUR – Side One - 17:50
DISC FOUR – Side Two - 17:52

Plenty of room to add 2 more minutes to 4B

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

how the Rebels gained knowledge of the fatal flaw in the Death Star that allowed Luke Skywalker to destroy it so readily

With only the loss of nearly the entire fighter contingent of the Rebel base on Yavin IV. 

28 minutes ago, crypto said:

$75?!? 

I guess that's how they can afford the AFM fees.

I don’t think $75 for 4 records is outrageous. That’s $18.75 a record plus the artwork and box. 

Damn vinyls.

I cant believe this was dumped out of the blue and in reality it had a curated release. With the same faults oddly. 

I was expecting the jeda bazarr cue and source cues to make this worthy but meh.

2 hours ago, crypto said:

Except it's $75 for 4 records of music from Rogue One.

So if you don't like the score, why should it matter to you? :lol:

Pretty sure fans of it, who are also into collecting vinyl will fork out whatever price for it.

28 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Well, now that we got expansions for both anthology films, plus even the games and shows are getting extensive albums now, there's no doubt in my mind that JW himself was the only factor holding expansions of his scores back. And if when Mike Matessino said that "everyone knows they should happen" he was also referring to JW, then I think the only factor holding these releases back now is just due to the amount of time in which it will take to assemble them. I would not at all be surprised if they've been working on something for a while now, and it's just taking a long time due to the massive girth of material.

Where's that "I hope you're right" gif? 

I have a question. If expansions of the Prequels & Sequels are released. How would you like to see them?

- In the way they're heard in the films

- In the way Williams composed them and meant for it to be in the film

Or a combo of these

- First the film version in chronological order and the 'Albums/Williams' versions as alternates.

- First the way Williams intended them and then the films versions as alternates

?????

I want complete unedited cues of final film versions, i mean the rewritten cues not edits. If the film was so heavily edited after the sessions(sequels), i would want a full score as williams wrote it, even if that means scenes are not in their final placement chronologically. And alternates at the end.

The Rise of Skywalker could be tricky though. To release the original unedited sessions would be to admit the film was in trouble. Would Disney allow it?

Karol

18 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Can anyone clarify this for me? The passage from 2:44-3:00 in "Today of all days" sounds familiar. Could it be the same music from anh as the death star locks down its aim to alderaan?

I think in rogue one it also scores a view of the death star getting into position to fire at jedha.

Anyone?

I think this was obscured by the damned vinyl release....

6 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Well, now that we got expansions for both anthology films, plus even the games and shows are getting extensive albums now, there's no doubt in my mind that JW himself was the only factor holding expansions of his scores back.

These things are always hard to pin down from the outside. Reality is that there are several parties involved that have to agree on how things must be done and that takes time. Plus, we're not exactly living in an era where there is a lot of money to be made out of these things, sadly.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

These things are always hard to pin down from the outside. Reality is that there are several parties involved that have to agree on how things must be done and that takes time. Plus, we're not exactly living in an era where there is a lot of money to be made out of these things, sadly.

Something tells me they will go with some posh pointless and pricey packaging to turn it into a collector's item. I can't see it being of interest to casual SW fans otherwise. Maybe they'll do Blu-ray audio discs? 🤔 

Euther way, they'll find a way to make is as expensive and "exclusive" as possible.

Karol

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

That sounds horrible.  I don’t want that in the least.  I want a competent producer to fashion a great assembly

You don't want to hear John Williams chucking a chair at JJ Baby then apologizing to Daisy?