Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

Ok I'm going to say it I've always loved this score! 

I think someone mentioned before the Varese Star Trek DE's and how they opened the score up and I have to agree this does he same. Although yeah what is up with the random silence that others have already brought up. 

Now let's see them let Mr Matessino tackle the Williams scores! 

I'll wait right here. 

On 15/02/2022 at 10:52 AM, Luke Skywalker said:

Thanks! Yeah that's the music i meant. Do you think it is intentional or accidental?

You're welcome. Definitely! Giacchino used a lot of ANH material, especially for the Death Star and the Empire, so there's no doubt it was a callback, what do you think?

Wish the digital release hadn't dropped before the Mondo, if I'd known it was coming could of kept some money aside to get it.

The vinyl release is a soap in the face to score collectors the world over. This could've been a great CD release last year for the fifth anniversary of Rogue One.

I timecoded it a bit early so you could listen for it. It exactly is heard at 1:48 and is heard in any blu-ray rip that I've come across.

I know it's not featured on any album as it's unreleased but still doesn't explain why there is such a strange digital error in the blu-ray audio

On 17/02/2022 at 8:44 AM, Luke Skywalker said:

Yes, i also think it is intentional. The is more cleverness in his williams quotations than people give credit to,.imho. They just center around that force theme rendition.

I love the use of the Death Star motif and the Imperial March in this score. I think he did a great job using Williams's material from the OT. I also really like Jyn's Theme and don't really have a problem with his Imperial Theme although it can sound a bit overwrought at times.

6 hours ago, Lockdown said:

I timecoded it a bit early so you could listen for it. It exactly is heard at 1:48 and is heard in any blu-ray rip that I've come across.

I know it's not featured on any album as it's unreleased but still doesn't explain why there is such a strange digital error in the blu-ray audio

If I recall correctly I believe it was a xylophone hit that was prominent on one of the channels, not a digital error. Could be a performance error though.

50 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

If I recall correctly I believe it was a xylophone hit that was prominent on one of the channels, not a digital error. Could be a performance error though.

yeah sounds like a mallet instrument doubling one of the woodwind runs. 

I know I will be crucified for saying this but Krennic's theme is more fun than Kylo Ren's theme. It might not be better music necessarily but the melodic line is more engaging. In a somewhat goofy way, sure, but still. I was never a big fan of Ren's theme.

And no, I don't mean the overblown Imperial March-like theme that opens and closes The Imperial Suite. I mean the B-theme as heard in the middle of that track (around 1:07).

Karol

46 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I know I will be crucified for saying this but Krennic's theme is more fun than Kylo Ren's theme.

I'll agree. It's a great theme. Very Nazi.

I have to say that my estimation of Kylo's theme went up when my kids were in the Jedi Academy at Disneyland about six months after TFA. Those six notes played and all the hair on the back of my neck stood up. It might not be as much fun to hum as The Imperial March (or G's Empire music) but something about it manages to get wired directly to your brain!

6 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I'll agree. It's a great theme. Very Nazi.

I have to say that my estimation of Kylo's theme went up when my kids were in the Jedi Academy at Disneyland about six months after TFA. Those six notes played and all the hair on the back of my neck stood up. It might not be as much fun to hum as The Imperial March (or G's Empire music) but something about it manages to get wired directly to your brain!

When I heard Kylo's theme for the first time as his ship appeared, I was instantly like, "That's gotta be Kylo's theme." Immediate communication of his identity as the primary antagonist. In my head, it has lyrics: "I'm Kylo Ren, bitch...I'm Kylo Ren."

Krennic's theme is indeed more of a cartoon Nazi sort of thing, but plenty effective. I'd also say it's one of Giacchino's least derivative R1 themes. His Imperial theme is good fun, too, until that second part that's only heard in the suite. It somehow manages to be both insipid and overwrought.

Anyway, I've bought and listened to the expanded edition. Glad to have it. It doesn't change the character of the score; the OST captures that just fine. It still can't hold a candle to Williams's SW scores. Fun if I'm in the right mood, though. And I'm really glad to have "There Are Spies Everywhere"; that cue stands out in the film and I was surprised it didn't make it into the OST or FYC.

9 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

What a nice performance. Should we expect you to play in march with the VPO?

Finished it this afternoon. I will continue to say it till my dying day, the sound quality SUCKS. I have no idea why anyone would want an orchestra to sound this shitty. Anyway, it's been six years since I've edited cues to improve the listening experience and I certainly have no interest in re-starting because of this score. Some bits are nice, but otherwise it's just mediocre. And yes, the missing credits really ruined the end, maybe especially because they then included bits of them in those alternates. Either include them or not. Happy enough this got released though.

I wonder how these discussions were going to look like if Powell had been brought on to score Rouge One at the 11th hour, and Giacchino had worked on Solo afterwards, obviously with more time, and "lessons from others' mistakes" available to him there.

Before you jump to conclusions, I am absolutely not intending any negativity here. It's just interesting to picture the alternate. Like:

How was MG going to adapt and weave JW's theme onto his version of Solo? (If the Jurassic World scores are anything to go by, MG is good at that.)

What were Powell's themes for Rogue One - that JW didn't write a theme for - going to be like?

Could Powell have been more successful at crafting a score for that troubled production?

With Solo, could MG have delivered the SW score that he could genuinely be proud of? (He sure is acting like he is proud of Rogue One, but I think that's more because of the achievement - the fact that he got the gig and survived the gig despite all the challenges - rather than the quality of the work he delivered)

and most importantly, were we going to get these deluxe sets at all?

Speed racer specially and maybe the mission impossibles could be sn example of MG using a previous theme and interveawing it in a full score.

I really think he makes speed racer theme his own with that score.

I'm not a fan of the way Gia uses the force theme in this score. That said, I do think he's capable of using other composers themes well. The Mission Impossible theme at the end of "Mood India" for example is pure magic.

I think to add on to slapped together nature of this release: isn't it strange that this doesn't have a 24bit copy available? In every site that offers Hi-Res versions, the expanded edition isn't present. It mainly stands out to me because the deluxe for Solo has one, so that just begs to question as to what exact source they worked off of for this.

33 minutes ago, Panama Jack said:

Is track 7 the only track on the new expanded edition with random large gaps of silence in the middle, or are there others? 

There are only 2 tracks with lengthy silences in the middle:

07. Mission to Jedha

27. No Trust Among Rebels