Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

I don't suppose we have the pun versions of the track titles for the deluxe edition do we?

MG included those for the regular album, albeit inside the booklet.

4 minutes ago, Drawgoon said:

I don't suppose we have the pun versions of the track titles for the deluxe edition do we?

Ask him on social media. He will probably be more than happy to post those.

Karol

2 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

Negative

2 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

Correct, so maybe they'll be in the Mondo vinyl booklet

17 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

I asked him on Twitter but got no response, could be worth asking again anyway? 

Surprisingly it's not sold out on Mondo yet, has anyone preordered it?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Andy said:

Recycled!  So he never was the next John Williams, but the next James Horner.

Nah, this like when JW makes a live to projection intermission arrangement using other cues ;)

There is a full list of the musicians though... unless the album already had that and I forgot about it.

EDIT: Yes it did. Nevermind then. Kind of surprised, it's nice to see all the musicians receive proper credit in the album liner notes.

• 3 months later...

image.png

After watching Andor I finally was motivated enough to finish my edit after abandoning it multiple times since the expansion was released. 86:12 long, cuts down on crap material to focus on the good stuff in an IMO better structure. Some great cues were kept as is, some were joined with others but untouched, maybe moved around in order, some were microedited to shorten them and remove some worse material (in a lot of cases this was easy, as many of the action cues are almost modular), and in some cases replacements had to be fabricated for real bad parts that couldn't just be thrown out.

01 - He's Here For Us:

01 He's Here For Us

02 - A Long Ride Ahead:

02 - A Long Ride Ahead 0:00-3:24

46 Scarif Antenna Alignment 1:38-1:50

46 Scarif Antenna Alignment 1:51-1:56

02 - A Long Ride Ahead 3:46-3:57

The opening cues are fine as is, but film title logo music is horrible. The alternate is somehow far worse. The cue can't just end on nothing, it needs a resolution, something had to be done. My best idea was to lift this triumphant Hope statement from late in the score, fix its weird note held too long to keep it rhythmically consistent, and transition back to Long Ride Ahead for a nice fadeout ending.

03 - There Are Spies Everywhere:

07 Mission to Jedha 0:00-0:25 (before the inexplicable long pause)

04 There Are Spies Everywhere

Added the extra opening here to get a "things are starting to get going" energetic feel after the opening segment/logo, the combination works shockingly unnoticeably.

04 - Jyn and the Rebellion:

03 Wobani Imperial Labor Camp

06 Jyn's Interrogation 0:00-1:17

08 Trust Goes Both Ways 0:00-0:40

08 Trust Goes Both Ways 0:54-2:08

06 Jyn's Interrogation 1:17-1:33

05 The Detention of Jyn Erso 0:29-0:51

05 The Detention of Jyn Erso 0:55-1:13

A track that ends up being an establisher: We get a big Jyn, some downtime, a middle Jyn, some Jedha callback, an establisher for the military tension motif (no idea how to call it at the moment), then Hope and the Rebel Fanfare as a happier finale. These all had problems. Wobani was too short and alone where it originally was. I don't like the early and kinda bland Force Theme in Jyn's Interrogation, but the rest worked well as connective tissue here. The awful Force Theme was removed from Trust Goes Both Ways easily, and I transitioned back before it really went away into the violent noisy material. I also threw away the noisy weak brass first half of Detention of Jyn Erso, as well as the random brass notes marching after the Rebel Fanfare.

05 - When Has Become Now:

09 When Has Become Now

06 - Jedha Arrival:

11 Jedha Arrival 0:00-1:47

12 Hearts of Kyber

10 Jyn's Memories of Childhood 0:00-0:36

11 Jedha Arrival 2:22-2:50

Wanted to keep both the middle cues and remove the middle of Jedha Arrival, so this was a nice way to solve it.

07 - Ambush in Jedha City:

13 Ambush in Jedha City

55 Jedha City Ambush (Alternate)

Classic joining of a lead-in cue with the thing it obviously leads into. Picked the shorter version because it's plenty enough.

08 - No Friends of the Empire:

17 No Friends of the Empire

I like the Jedha stuff, but not really the Saw stuff. This was a nice transitionary cue that also reinforces the presence of the underused Guardians theme.

09 - Star-Dust:

22 Star-Dust 0:00-0:39

22 Star-Dust 1:03-2:58

29 Confrontation on Eadu 5:52-8:09

Microedit to remove the intrusive bit and keep the mood consistent. This final bit is the only part of Confrontation on Eadu that I like and the only part of that entire segment that I kept, and it had to go somewhere. In the end I put it in the place of Star-Dust's much less refined ending to combine these 2 major Jyn/Dad relationship cues.

10 - An Imperial Test of Power:

18 Imperial Departure

23 An Imperial Test of Power 0:00-1:45

23 An Imperial Test of Power 2:24-3:38

Had to put the former cue somewhere and this worked out. Streamlined the latter by removing the bare held notes and noisy bits in the middle.

11 - News from the Ashes:

25 News from the Ashes

24 Apologies are in Order

Switched these two because I felt the former led into the next cue better than the latter.

12 - Rebellions are Built on Hope:

31 Rebellions are Built on Hope

32 A Rebel Change of Heart

33 Rogue One

Yes, I skipped over all of the mess that is the Eadu setpiece. Just felt these 3 would work better combined, the last 2 especially to make the buildup build up to something instead of losing it all with a 5 second quiet break until Rogue One starts out of nowhere.

13 - Cargo Shuttle SW-0608:

34 Cargo Shuttle SW-0608 0:00-0:41

34 Cargo Shuttle SW-0608 0:59-4:02

Just a little streamlining to keep the mood consistent here.

14 - Good Luck Little Sister:

35 Good Luck Little Sister

15 - Finding a Way Through:

40 Finding a Way Through 0:00-1:02

40 Finding a Way Through 2:04-2:06

40 Finding a Way Through 2:03-3:36

The previous few cues were mostly kept unedited in order, but now the third act needed restructuring. When listening to the expansion, it felt like it starts off strongly, then meanders away eventually, then starts back up again, then at some point just decides to stop and go into the tragic showstopper best cue. I moved this more quiet sneaking cue that gradually ramps up to action here as the first track after the setpiece begins. Skipped through the middle action by fabricating an opening for the sneaky bit right after by looping a portion of it.

16 - Scrambling the Rebel Fleet:

38 Scrambling the Rebel Fleet

17 - Are We Blind:

37 Are We Blind

Moved this here to spread the two big JW-theme peppered rebel fighter action cues out a tad.

18 - AT-ACT Assault:

39 AT-ACT Assault

19 - The Imperial Archives:

41 Project Star-Dust

20  -Antenna Alignment:

46 Scarif Antenna Alignment 0:00-1:37

46 Scarif Antenna Alignment 1:58-3:16

This is basically the end of the final action bit. Removed the triumphant Hope since it'd interrupt this final stretch of desperate action and since I already used it for the title logo.

21 - The Master Switch:

44 The Master Switch

Moved this back to provide a sad playoff/bridge from the bombastic action to the tragic finale instead of the former just... stopping.

22 - Your Father Would Be Proud:

47 Your Father Would Be Proud

23 - Hope:

48 Hope 0:00-1:20

29 Confrontation on Eadu 7:54-7:56

29 Confrontation on Eadu 7:56:10-7:58

29 Confrontation on Eadu 7:58:20-8:09

So uh, listen. The final note wandering of the Force Theme sucks. Either we can leave it as is. Or transition it early to some film rip or other recording of the SW credits then to the alternate opening next track, which I didn't do because the opening transition sucks. Or try to remove notes from those wandering notes - I can't because he's not using the right notes to finish the theme, it'd sound worse. What remains is to take some other good enough finale-esque bit from some other cue and patch it on or replace it completely. The only real good finale feeling bit I found was the very end of Confrontation on Eadu, even though I already used it. I'm not 100% happy and proud with the final result, but I might learn to live with it - the idea was to keep the first 2 notes of the Force Theme, and carefully fade to Eadu, which ends on 2 similar rising 2-note figures, so that together it'd seem like it's 3 2-note rising figures. Also shortened held notes in Eadu to help the transition rhythmically.

24 - Jyn Erso & Hope Suite:

49 Jyn Erso & Hope Suite

25 - The Imperial Suite:

50 The Imperial Suite

26 - Guardians of the Whills Suite:

51 Guardians of the Whills Suite

Not 100% sure about these, might end up switching Whills and Jyn.

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm hoping I won't have to watch the film again...but does anyone have a list of the cues that run into each other via film? Basically I am wanting to do a gapless playback for my iPhone (and iPod).

I'd appreciate the help.

• 1 month later...

I just remembered this came out around a year ago so I was rereading this thread. I must've missed this the first time around:

On 10/02/2022 at 10:49 AM, Drew said:

Does "Your Father Would Be Proud" have the choir mix that was heard on the iTunes movie release menu?

There's an alternate mix of this? The only Rogue One music I knew of from the iTunes menu was that unreleased Bazaars of Jedha cue

14 hours ago, enderdrag64 said:

I just remembered this came out around a year ago so I was rereading this thread. I must've missed this the first time around:

There's an alternate mix of this? The only Rogue One music I knew of from the iTunes menu was that unreleased Bazaars of Jedha cue

Yes there is. The iTunes menu, at least the one that I had from my digital copy back in 2017, had a long list of music playing in the background. Most of it was unreleased at the time. The best discovery was an alternate mix of "Your Father Would Be Proud" that had the choir mixed significantly louder. It's not even like that in the film.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I recorded the stream a long time ago, somehow I never noticed that choir part before!

Do you still have the rest of the music too? If so would you be able to make a complete list all of the cues in it/note if there are any other differences?

Here is the breakdown if anyone else was interested:

[0:00-1:39] Scarif Antenna Alignment
[1:39-3:01] Jyn's Path is Clear
[3:01-4:17] Approach to Eadu
[4:17-5:20] Krennic's Aspirations
[5:17-7:14] Confrontation on Eadu
[7:12-8:12] Finding a Way Through
[8:12-10:02] Your Father Would Be Proud (with unreleased/unused choir ending)  
[10:02-10:45] Wobani Imperial Labor Camp
[10:44-12:41] Jyn Erso & Hope Suite
[12:40-13:32] The Imperial Suite
[13:32-14:12] A Long Ride Ahead
[14:12-15:03] There Are Spies Everywhere
[14:55-16:22] Trust Goes Both Ways
[16:22-16:45] The Bazaars of Jedha (completely unreleased)
[16:45-17:41] Ambush in Jedha City
[17:41-19:27] Jedha City Ambush
[19:26-end] Imperial Departure

curiously, Scarif Antenna Alignment, Finding a Way Through, There Are Spies Everywhere, Ambush in Jedha City, and Imperial Departure were all not on the OST or the FYC.

That's some insane luck for unreleased music when they could've easily just used the OST tracks and nothing else

I do also wonder what the rights situation is for this music. Wouldn't reuse fees have applied for all of this at-the-time unreleased music? 

• 3 weeks later...

I added the reel codes but I'm missing some, do you have this information ?  (*)

I'm looking for the complete breakdown too....

01. 1M01 - He's Here For Us                
02. 1M02 - A Long Ride Ahead               
03. 1M03 - Wobani Imperial Labor Camp      
04. XM04 - There Are Spies Everywhere   1M04 ? 2M04 ?     
05. XM05 - The Detention of Jyn Erso       1M05 ? 2M05 ?
06. XM06 - Jyn's Interrogation              1M06 ? 2M06 ? 
07. XM07 - Mission to Jedha                1M07 ? 2M07
08. 2M08 - Trust Goes Both Ways            
09. 2M09 - When Has Become Now             
10. 2M10 - Jyn's Memories of Childhood     
11. 2M11 - Jedha Arrival                   
12. 2M13 - Hearts of Kyber                 
13. 2M14 - Ambush in Jedha City            
14. 2M14 - Jedha City Ambush               
15. XM15A - Let Them Pass in Peace (Part 1)      2M15a ? 
16. XM15B - Let Them Pass in Peace (Part 2)     2M15b ?
17. XM16 - No Friends of the Empire                      2M16 ?
18. XM17 - Imperial Departure                              2M17 ?
19. XM18 - Reunion at Saw's Hideout             2M18 ?
20. XM19 - Cassian's Prison                           2M19 ? 
21. 3M20 - Today of All Days               
22. 3M21 - Star-Dust                       
23. 3M22 - An Imperial Test of Power                3M22 ?
24. XM23 - Apologies Are in Order                  3M23 ? 
25. XM24 - News from the Ashes                     3M24 ?
26. 4M25 - Approach to Eadu                            
27. 4M26 - No Trust Among Rebels           
28. 4M27 - Jyn's Path Is Clear             
29. 4M28 - Confrontation on Eadu           
30. 4M29 - Krennic's Aspirations           
31. 5M30 - Rebellions Are Built on Hope    
32. 5M31 - A Rebel Change of Heart         
33. 5M32 - Rogue One                        
34. 5M33 - Cargo Shuttle SW-0608           
35. 5M34 - Good Luck Little Sister         
36. 5M35 - What Brings You to Scarif       
37. 5M36 - Are We Blind                    
38. 5M37 - Scrambling the Rebel Fleet      
39. 5M38A -  AT-ACT Assault                
40. XM39 - Finding a Way Through           5M39 ? 6M39 ? 
41. 6M40 - Project Star-Dust               
42. 6M41 - Entering the Imperial Archives  
43. 6M42 - Get That Beach Under Control    
44. 6M43 - The Master Switch               
45. 7M44 - We Have to Press the Attack     
46. 7M45- Scarif Antenna Alignment         
47. 7M46 - Your Father Would Be Proud      
48. 7M49 - Hope                            
49. Jyn Erso & Hope Suite                  
50. The Imperial Suite                     
51. Guardians of the Whills Suite