Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

His theme for Jyn would have made us completely forget about Rey's theme!

Yes!! If Godzilla's cardboard "family" got something like this:

Then imagine what a strong female protagonist-driven SW flick could have gotten!

My ears are bleeding to hear what this Djiatchino made to the Force Theme in "Trust Goes Both Ways" at 0:48.

Com'on , you can't do that!

Yea...that was just bad. Again, it shows how much Giacchino struggles with thematic manipulation.

Now this is how you do a classy variation of the Force theme! Take note Gia!

48 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Currently discovering the Rogue One album.

That's my face just after 8 seconds of the first track:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJNtNRkJytWbVdo-ISmdM

Really? for an opening i think it was very williamsy.

It scores the stars background and then a ship passing by...

14 minutes ago, Will said:

Actually haha of course it doesn't mean anything but one of the softer Jyn's theme statements did remind me very much of Rey's theme.

Nice to hear a bit more positivity today, btw, although the dozens of negative posts are grating to read.

There's a little bit of Rey's Theme in "Rogue One" track too.

Good, like that we will not have the need for an ADN test.

4 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Really? for an opening i think it was very williamsy.

Yes, it's why I made this face.

This OST makes me feel literally a little queasy to listen to. I saw someone else say this but it really is like the Uncanny Valley if Star Wars. Makes me feel a little icky.

Bear in mind I don't engage at all with nonfilm Star Wars media so I'm not as used to composers impersonating Star Wars music as some are.

I liked the opening too. Might be the most Star Wars/Williams-ey moment of the album (and done rather well), right before the silly Imperial theme popped in. The whole track is actually not bad, aside from just featuring a hokey theme.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

You did not read my subsequent posts! HA.

There's a little bit of Rey's Theme in "Rogue One" track too.

Yes, it's why I made this face.

Ah so it is a happy crying face?

I thought it was the contrary :P

I dont think it is silly, the imperial theme.

It's kind of refreshing for me. I now know how BB, Steef, KK and others feel when they've visited Giacchino threads in the past. I'm now on the negative side of the fence with them and can see how people complaining about (and exaggerating) my negative opinion is indeed annoying!

Perspective.

6 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Some people are acting a little negatively OTT about it, like Giacchino murdered their parents or something. 

No, Lee. Giacchino is our father.

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

I mean this part right at the start of this piece. Giacchino references it at 0:31 in 'AT-ACT Assault' just for a few seconds. 

Ah, I hear it now! I didn't catch it because he's using cellos/bass instead of violins.

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

What's Don Davis doing nowadays?  

I'd have said "retired" but apparently there's a film he's scored this year. So he might be back in the game. Actually, I'd love to hear a Don Davis Star Wars score.

1 hour ago, KK said:

I think it has less to do with the recording, and more with the writing. The way Gia handles his voicings and sections make the ensemble sound incredibly small, and dense. He has a very "big band" style of writing, and when applied to more lavish orchestral settings, everything just sounds like a flat tire.

Up to a certain point it is to do with the recordings/mixing. I point to Star Trek 2009 vs Into Darkness. I think that Star Trek Into Darkness is his best-sounding score from a recording/mixing POV.

Ouff...I made the mistake of making a critical comment of this score with the Filmtracks crew and am now getting ambushed for it. I forgot about how many Gia fans were there. Should have known better!

2 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Like how the score makes them feel ill

I said that because it was true!  And believe me, I did not go into this wanting to dislike it.  My post history backs me up on that :)

43 minutes ago, KK said:

Ouff...I made the mistake of making a critical comment of this score with the Filmtracks crew and am now getting ambushed for it. I forgot about many Gia fans were there. Should have known better!

Link? 

48 minutes ago, KK said:

Ouff...I made the mistake of making a critical comment of this score with the Filmtracks crew and am now getting ambushed for it. I forgot about many Gia fans were there. Should have known better!

You have to unconditionally love all traditional orchestral film music or else the RCP boogeyman will get you!

I like the filmtracks community but their general philosophy on that has always been annoying to me.

37 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Link? 

It happened in the Filmtracks Facebook group. I haven't posted in the actual forum in years.

32 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

You have to unconditionally love all traditional orchestral film music or else the RCP boogeyman will get you!

I like the filmtracks community but their general philosophy on that has always been annoying to me.

You just about summed it up. They're a really nice community, but a bit of a close-minded one. Not really a place for alternative opinions or in-depth discussion.

Like I said, JWFan ain't perfect, but its probably the best we've got for actual film music discussion.

7 minutes ago, KK said:

It happened in the Filmtracks Facebook group. I haven't posted in the actual forum in years.

You just about summed it up. They're a really nice community, but a bit of a close-minded one. Not really a place for alternative opinions or in-depth discussion.

Like I said, JWFan ain't perfect, but its probably the best we've got for actual film music discussion.

As we speak, they are plotting against us!

http://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard/forum.cgi?read=37234

http://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard/forum.cgi?read=37236

1 minute ago, Not Mr. Big said:

We are not a monolith! We are a bunch of different people with our own opinions!  If all you want from a community is to have your opinion validated then I'm glad they're not posting here.

Maybe I should actually go read Filmtracks. I don't really visit boards other than JWFan, but it might be nice to hear an alternative perspective on this score.

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The last minute of Confrontation On Eadu is the one for me.

If you're talking about 6:45-7:00-ish, I agree. One of the score's finer moments.

12 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Don't tempt me Mr. Big! I dare not see it. Not even to keep JWFan safe. Understand Mr. Big, I would again post there from a desire to do good. But through me, it would find a new scapegoat too great and terrible to imagine!