Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Shark Cage Fugue? 

Oh cool, I hadn't even thought of that. I had mainly been thinking of the track as a bargain bin March of the Resistance (with that specific melody reminding me of Into the Trap).

39 minutes ago, Will said:

Woah! :eek2:

Uh, no!  Gia is doing a mediant major 3rd harmonic interval (sci-fi staple).  G minor -> B minor.  In G minor, the 3rd is B flat so with Gia it is a major 3rd interval.  I say it is effective and it works, but it is all over sci fi and fantasy.  Frequently used in Lord of the Rings and Star Treks regardless of the composer.  This can be considered a cliche.  In Imperial March, the harmony is G minor to a flat six (e flat minor) with an A. In E flat minor, the A should be A flat, but JW uses a raised fourth(A natural) to give it a very dissonant color against the B flat.  There are similarities between what Gia and JW did but quite a few differences to say he "hid" the march in "hope".  I think a more accurate description would be to say that Gia lived in the Star Wars soundverse and incorporated sonic elements in to his score.

Hey, cool -- somebody quoted Bobby Roberts!  I was a big fan of his radio show and podcast.

I noticed that hint of the Imperial March the first time I listened to the score on its own; hadn't noticed it at all seeing the movie.  Good stuff.  I've listened to the CD a half a dozen time or so now, and I have gotten to the point where I'd say I genuinely love it.

I wouldn't exactly call it hidden as much as an outright and very obvious statement of Vader's theme (granted, not the full melody line) in orchestra and choir lol

The music is obvious enough but as soon as you look at what it accompanies in the film there really is no way it can be anything else.

8 hours ago, karelm said:

Uh, no!  Gia is doing a mediant major 3rd harmonic interval (sci-fi staple).  G minor -> B minor.  In G minor, the 3rd is B flat so with Gia it is a major 3rd interval.  I say it is effective and it works, but it is all over sci fi and fantasy.  Frequently used in Lord of the Rings and Star Treks regardless of the composer.  This can be considered a cliche.  In Imperial March, the harmony is G minor to a flat six (e flat minor) with an A. In E flat minor, the A should be A flat, but JW uses a raised fourth(A natural) to give it a very dissonant color against the B flat.  There are similarities between what Gia and JW did but quite a few differences to say he "hid" the march in "hope".  I think a more accurate description would be to say that Gia lived in the Star Wars soundverse and incorporated sonic elements in to his score.

Why can't music theorists just shut up and enjoy music?

Fuck major 3rds.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

You don't fuck major 3rds, they fuck you.

Anyway, never mind that; where would Superman, and the Klingons be without major 5ths?

I've always had a penchant for 4ths.

It's a perfect 5th not a major 5th!

4 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Fuck major 3rds.

Show some respect for the major 3rd before you get your ass kicked by them...they like to be understood and respected.

5 hours ago, Richard said:

You don't fuck major 3rds, they fuck you.

Anyway, never mind that; where would Superman, and the Klingons be without major 5ths?

I've always had a penchant for 4ths.

I prefer 9s or 10s myself, but you have fun with 4s.

6 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Fuck major 3rds.

Because they also write it? So to improve their writing they discuss theory and method.

If you don't want to hear about it, just shut up and enjoy music!

I would like to know what major 3rds are, please. Preferably shown on a keyboard!

Apologies if this has been discussed before in this or another thread, but I'm loving the blaster beam sounding synth effect (assuming that's what it is) at about 1 minute into Jedha arrival. Yes, it's not really associated with this "Star" franchise, but still enjoying it.

Did Gia use this at all in his Trek scores?

By the way, @Stefancos, you and @Fennel Ka seem to have the same (hilarious!) avatar. 

Who stole it from whom? :P

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Apologies if this has been discussed before in this or another thread, but I'm loving the blaster beam sounding synth effect (assuming that's what it is) at about 1 minute into Jedha arrival. Yes, it's not really associated with this "Star" franchise, but still enjoying it.

No idea, but I kind of liked it too. Definitely wasn't bothered by it like a lot of people!

1 minute ago, Will said:

By the way, @Stefancos, you and @Fennel Ka seem to have the same (hilarious!) avatar. 

Who stole it from whom? :P

No idea, but I kind of liked it too. Definitely wasn't bothered by it like a lot of people!

They both stole it from @BloodBoal

I've gotten to the point where I actually love it.  It's still a mile beneath the Williams scores, but you can take an awfully big step down from those and still have a very good score; and that's what I'd say is the case with this one.

Bring him back for the Han and Lando movie!

22 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I just tried listening to that track around that timestamp and don't hear anything that sounds like a blaster beam.  Are you sure you have the right track and timestamp?

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I just tried listening to that track around that timestamp and don't hear anything that sounds like a blaster beam.  Are you sure you have the right track and timestamp?

hes talking about that ethnic instrument that sounds like a weird duduk or something.

I dont have a problem with it really. It's part of Jedha musical palette.

5 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Bring him back for the Han and Lando movie!

I really love this score too. I absolutely don't think Gia has done anything to lose himself the Han film job, and I'd be very happy if he scored that. At the same time, however, I am a little curious about how a SW score by some other composers might sound. 

On 17/01/2017 at 1:16 AM, Will said:

Woah! :eek2:

I'd love to give Gia some credit for this, but I'm afraid I can't. Because any similarity between the two pieces is invented, it's straw clutching. I mean, come on now.

what is everyone's favourite moments in the score?

I personally adore this part in Scrambling the Rebel Fleet:

I love this heroic treatment of Jyn's theme as it perfectly captures them marching off to war with a new-found inspiration (Jyn), and the overall tone is just so classic Star Wars, even with it being a new theme I could easily hear it being played during the lead-up to the Battle of Yavin or Battle of Endor.

Haven't listened to the score on its own, and don't really plan too, but I just saw Rogue One finally.  My impressions were that it was completely serviceable (not a unique comment to make, it appears), which is what I find most of Gia's score to be, but his theme for Jyn was so simplistic as to be someone distracting.  There was one moment in his use of the rebel theme (I believe it was its first usage) that sounded weird.  I didn't mind the rest of the material, like the baddy theme,  and the end credits were more or less successful.

On 1/17/2017 at 1:43 AM, alan1984 said:

I wouldn't exactly call it hidden as much as an outright and very obvious statement of Vader's theme (granted, not the full melody line) in orchestra and choir lol

The music is obvious enough but as soon as you look at what it accompanies in the film there really is no way it can be anything else.

Yeah. I am a bit perplexed. I noticed the first time I heard the cue. Its not "hidden".

11 hours ago, Tallguy said:

That is one of my favorite moments in the whole score.  I sounds like the Moog that John Barry used to use.  (He used it on the Black Hole and I think The Persuaders.)  The whole track has a bit of a Barry feel, to me.

I didn't know that JB used a Moog for Black Hole, I always thought it was the Blaster Beam. Interesting, guess I need to read my Intrada Black Hole liner notes...

8 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I didn't know that JB used a Moog for Black Hole, I always thought it was the Blaster Beam. Interesting, guess I need to read my Intrada Black Hole liner notes...

He used both.  :)  But if you listen to In, Through...  And Beyond! you can hear the moog.

I'm guessing MG used something more modern that sounded the same.  But who knows?  (Well, someone does, but I don't.)

On 20/01/2017 at 7:22 AM, TheUlyssesian said:

Yeah. I am a bit perplexed. I noticed the first time I heard the cue. Its not "hidden".

I saw the film before I heard the soundtrack and while I couldn't make it all out, I definitely noticed those familiar Vader "intervals" even through the sound effects.

13 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Giacchino using the imperial March in Hope is extremely obvious. He didn't hide anything. It was the best choice and worked great.

Seriously, and I'm pretty sure it was mentioned here day 1 of the OST and movie release. Its weird that people are stumbling upon it now and thinking they actually discovered something.