Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

16 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Terrific new!!! Did Disney decide to treat properly the music of its movies?

That or it's Giacchino himself who made this happen. Like Powell did for Solo.

But I do hope expanded score for the other SW films will be released soon

This is certainly newsworthy enough for its own thread.

This just dropped on Apple Music a few hours back in NZ, and here in AU a few minutes ago.

1000x1000bb.webp

Pre-release date: 11 February, 2022

Runtime: 2 hours, 24 minutes.

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-original-motion-picture/1608226285

Rather bizarrely, the Luke's Theme fanfare that opens the end credits has been omitted here.

EDIT: And JW's closing fanfare as well, from which the Guardian of the Whills suite overlapped into.

Also, the alternate Main Title fanfare Giacchino wrote is substantially better than the final film version, IMO.

And the final track of the album starts midway through a cue.

This is a rather bizarre release. How are they covering the AFM fees?!

EDIT 2: The pricing for this in iTunes is only AUD $19.99, which is quite reasonable. That's around $12 USD I suppose.

EDIT 3: lol

image.png

38 minutes ago, crypto said:

Rather bizarrely, the Luke's Theme fanfare that opens the end credits has been omitted here.

EDIT: And JW's closing fanfare as well, from which the Guardian of the Whills suite overlapped into.

LOL, gotta hold on to the sessions-ost fan edit I have after all

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

LOL, gotta hold on to the sessions-ost fan edit I have after all

The sessions for this score never leaked. There was only the FYC album, and blu ray rips. 

Well, hold onto your Bluray rips because the start and end of the closing credits were left off.

The more we look into this release, the more it seems like a lazy session dump. Not only for the lazy track titles (see above) but the huge gaps of silence Chewy pointed out. I just compared the 23 second silence in the middle of track 7 with the film. Lo and behold, the film has an identical 23 second gap between score... and they've retained that silence in the track!

Any album producer worth their salt would have snipped the silence out and joined the music together!

I can only assume the cue was recorded that way, rather than as two separate cues.

Just now, MedigoScan said:

Sessions wouldnt usually have large gaps like this. Final film mixes though..

That's what I thought of too.  Could some of this release just be the music stem???

It's possible... but the inclusion of alternates indicates they had a better source at their disposal.

I will say the audio quality is not improved. It sounds exactly like you remember from the OST. This definitely ain't a revelatory Solo Deluxe situation.

What a mess. This sounds like they decided yesterday they're going to release a deluxe edition and then just dumped whatever music they had.

This only highlights that, when it is time for JW's scores to get expanded, they're going to need the help of an expert like Matessino.

22 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

So I'm guessing not all the OST material is in this new edition?

Everything seems to be there but it's not really complete since we still don't have the full end credits!

18 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Everything seems to be there but it's not really complete since we still don't have the full end credits!

Is this going to be a case where we get the complete score, but your OCD side whispers in your ear because it's missing the end credits? Can't they just be ripped from the BD?

It'd be nice to see people being happy for this release, instead of the usual problem hunting. (I agree though that from comments it sounds like a technically lazy job)

4 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

It'd be nice to see people being happy for this release, instead of the usual problem hunting.

Maybe if there weren't immediate glaring problems to hunt...

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Is this going to be a case where we get the complete score, but your OCD side whispers in your ear because it's missing the end credits? Can't they just be ripped from the BD?

Yes, that will be the case. Wait... You didn't mean that as a good thing? ;)

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Isn't that missing credits piece, well, missing because it's technically JW music?

Maybe but there's a lot of tracks (including new ones) containing JW themes on this, so why skipping the end credits only?

4 minutes ago, crypto said:

I mean, you really shouldn't have to rip things from the Bluray... 

Yeah, some of these have bandaid solutions people can do themselves. They really shouldn't have to, though. 

The sheer laziness bugs me more than the problems themselves. 

I completely agree that far more care should have been taken in the release's preparation.

But.... they didn't have to release this. Even with a bit of cleaning up and supplementing with the BD, it's still unreleased materials we didn't have.

2 hours ago, crypto said:

This is certainly newsworthy enough for its own thread.

This just dropped on Apple Music a few hours back in NZ, and here in AU a few minutes ago.

1000x1000bb.webp

Pre-release date: 11 February, 2022

Runtime: 2 hours, 24 minutes.

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-original-motion-picture/1608226285

It's two minutes longer on Spotify.

Someone who knows this better than I can chime in. But isn't Rogue One the only film other than Star Wars that has the Star Wars ending to the end credits rather than the Return of the Jedi / Concert Version? For that reason alone I would find it valuable to have the end credits.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

It'd be nice to see people being happy for this release, instead of the usual problem hunting. (I agree though that from comments it sounds like a technically lazy job)

I for one at excited about this release, and as I never had any problems with the various releases last year that people complained about, I suspect I won’t have any problems with this!