Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

Perhaps a little unfair, because no-one's seen R1, yet, but the fact that MG is brought in this late, for me, does not bode well. Most composers are able to deal with reshoots, but a whole new guy? I smell a rat, as if The Mouse wanted MG, all along.

Giacchino is older than what I taught.  He's 48?

At 48 Williams already wrote Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Superman and Empire Strikes Back.

Well, it seems a lost cause.

Some people here complaining that Desplat would have done his own thing and Giacchino is going to have a Williams-reference-gasm, clearly haven't heard Giacchino's franchise scores.

He barely references past composers work in his new stuff. In his Trek trilogy, he references things in the end credits and nothing much else at all. In Planet of the Apes he did his own thing with no references. Jurassic World had the obligatory reference as they saw the park itself and only a couple more tiny references scattered elsewhere. He also only used the Mission Impossible main theme for the obvious reasons of it being irreplaceable. Giacchino isn't an 'over-referencer.' He will only reference the really obvious things like Vader, Rebel, etc that have to be used for musical continuity and Disney's demands for fan service, but elsewhere Giacchino will do his own thing. He is tried and tested as a great Composer for taking over existing franchises with iconic music, and he has made every one of them his own. 

I was very excited for a Desplat Star Wars score, but Giacchino was born to do it anyway, so as a huge fan of both guys, it is like someone taking away a bowl of chocolate ice cream from me, and replacing it with another bowl of chocolate ice cream.

They should really just co-compose.

I think I've finally cracked it, the reason Desplat and Gia are independently not quite as great as Jerry Goldsmith or John Williams is because they're basically supposed to be one.

If you smashed them together, you'd have a great composer.

Am I the only one thinking the choice of Giacchino sort of is evidence for that tonal change? I like his work but I think he'd be more suited to the main saga. Would prefer someone with a distinctively different sound from JW to try mould themselves to the universe rather than a JW/a similar sounding composer trying to put a twist on the established sound.

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Gia was not born to do it. Can we please after 20 years move away from this "Giacchino is the next John Williams" schtick! 

He was born to do it. 

12 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

He barely references past composers work in his new stuff. In his Trek trilogy, he references things in the end credits and nothing much else at all. In Planet of the Apes he did his own thing with no references. Jurassic World had the obligatory reference as they saw the park itself and only a couple more tiny references scattered elsewhere. He also only used the Mission Impossible main theme for the obvious reasons of it being irreplaceable.

I don't know if that's all correct.  For the Apes scores yes, you're right.

For both MI scores, though, he didn't only use the MI theme, he also used "The Plot", and very well, I might add (though Kraemer's use of The Plot blows anything Giacchino or Elfman did with it out of the water)

For Star Trek, in the 09 film he actually referenced the Courage theme throughout the score, not just i the end credits.

And for Jurassic World, I wouldn't call the other references after the obligatory Park introduction "tiny"; There was the prolonged and newly orchestrated piano version in the Olde Visitors Center, the TLW theme for the raptor, and more of the main theme at the end of the film and start of the end credits.  Really he quoted the original theme about as much as JW did in his TLW score.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Gia was not born to do it. Can we please after 20 years move away from this "Giacchino is the next John Williams" schtick! 

Never said he was the next Williams. I said he was born to do it. Meaning he has shown in his work and his attitude, and also his skill to take over an iconic franchise of music and make it his own. Star Wars is the next logical step in his career. Far more logical than moving into Marvel.

Just now, Jay said:

And for Jurassic World, I wouldn't call the other references after the obligatory Park introduction "tiny"; There was the prolonged and newly orchestrated piano version in the Olde Visitors Center, the TLW theme for the raptor, and more of the main theme at the end of the film and start of the end credits.  Really he quoted the original theme about as much as JW did in his TLW score.

I forget all that since most of those were not in the OST, right?  That movie is hot flaming garbage I would never subject myself to more than once so all the music not on the OST fades from memory.

Is the Lost World theme on the OST?  If so, I clearly need to revisit since I completely forgot.  It was my least favorite of Giacchino's 2015 scores so I haven't revisited much.  That "As the Jurassic World Turns" is a fantastic original theme and was criminally under-used is about all I remember.

Let's just change the name of the site to MGHater and be done with it.  The negativity around him here gets so tiresome.  It's just the same people shuffling around taking turns saying the same opinions over and over and over and over.

EDIT:

I'm going to note that I don't have a problem with anyone not liking his music or voicing that opinion reasonably.  You like what you like.  But just showing up to basically shout "Gia Sux!" and make a fart noise....

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Tepid and insufficient.

His 5-year mission theme from Beyond would serve Jurassic World better.

The suspense/action material from that score is actually pretty solid work. And probably among the best live action material he's written so far.

Karol

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Is the Lost World theme on the OST?  If so, I clearly need to revisit since I completely forgot.  

Yes, its on the OST.  See here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24405-michael-giacchinos-jurassic-world-2015/&do=findComment&comment=1137769

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

My main disappointment with this news is that I can't stand the dry, tinny orchestrations and recording techniques that plague Giacchino scores. They never sound symphonic, more like a large-scale TV movie. Every section of the orchestra sounds loud with little range or restraint to the *orchestration*.

I hope you don't mind my making a slight change to your post, which is the best I've read today, thanks. 

Anyway, I bet Disney were annoyed that Desplat planned to theme one of the main hero characters with a solo fiddle and a little piano accompaniment! 

I am a fan of Giacchino but I fully concede that he does not have Desplat's impeccable talent for orchestration.  I do however think that Giacchino writes more memorable melodies!

Maybe we'll get a score with catchier original themes but orchestrations less pleasurable to listen to?

16 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Let's just change the name of the site to MGHater and be done with it.  The negativity around him here gets so tiresome.  It's just the same people shuffling around taking turns saying the same opinions over and over and over and over.

So is there a comprehensive list of Gia lovers/haters/neutrals around here that one can refer to?

2 minutes ago, Nick66 said:

So is there a comprehensive list of Gia lovers/haters/neutrals around here that one can refer to?

IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO DECIDE YOU STILL HAVE MADE A CHOICE!

(and the answer is no, because I'm not coo coo)

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

His 5-year mission theme from Beyond would serve Jurassic World better.

Karol

I too believe this. Watching the whole 'entering Jurassic World for the first time' scene with 0:57 - 2:57 in 'A Night on the Yorktown' works great.

0:57 (The kids start walking through Jurassic World to their hotel room.)

2:08 (The kid opens the curtains of the hotel room to reveal the landscape shot of the park)

Just seeing this news now.  Was really looking forward to a Desplat Star Wars score.  Giacchino, not so much.  I'm sure he'll cull together a serviceable score, but just like everything else of his I've heard, relatively stale and uninteresting as an isolated listening experience.

Just now, Nick66 said:

There are going to be a LOT of Star Wars movies. Desplat will get his chance.

If you ignore the gossip and assume that the reason given in the press release for his replacement is true, then actually yeah he might.  One can hope, at least.

There was definitely a connection between Gia's score and the original Goldsmith POTA one.  His work on that movie was much more grounded to existing material than for Jurassic World.

Anyway, Giacchino could quote his Star Tours material :) and go Cabaret-style!

1 minute ago, Nick66 said:

"Giacchino happened." 

LOL. I sense the birth of a meme.

I really wish it was real because it's very funny, but if you click the link Bloodboal included you will see that there is no such interview.

18 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I hope you don't mind my making a slight change to your post, which is the best I've read today, thanks. 

Anyway, I bet Disney were annoyed that Desplat planned to theme one of the main hero characters with a solo fiddle and a little piano accompaniment! 

A good edit and I tend to agree -- wrong to criticise the *performances* because the orchestra is only doing what they're being told. I just, personally, can't stand whatever Giacchino's preference is with regards to recording techniques and orchestration.

It actually has a tendency to ruin some otherwise good writing, as if someone were reading you Shakespeare through a megaphone.

Hmm, actually, probably giving Giacchino too much credit there. More like J.K Rowling through a megaphone.

I was the one who got Desplat replaced with Giacchino.

Let me explain. I made an extensive youtube video a while back called 'What if James Newton Howard Scored Harry Potter?' Where I matched JNH's music from countless films together with scenes from all 8 Potter films. Then months later the news breaks that JNH is scoring Fantastic Beasts. 

I also made a youtube video called 'What if Michael Giacchino Scored Star Wars?' Where I also matched Giacchino's music from several films, to scenes from all 6 (at the time) Star Wars films. Now Giacchino gets the Star Wars gig. 

I also made a 'What if Abel Korzeniowski Scores a Bond Film' video. If that happens in the future, you can all bow down and worship my awesome power.

Love reading the different reactions, how it stirred a vast array of emotions.

For me it was totally unexpected, I don't want to spoil the film, so I barely listen to any news about it.

One side of me is disappointed of course, the other likes Giacchino, so I don't know what to feel :D

I've liked him since his Video Game days, like The Lost World, Medal of Honor, I did not thought that he could have a Hollywood career like this, but I guess he really was and is at the right place at the right time (Alias, Lost with JJ).

32 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I am a fan of Giacchino but I fully concede that he does not have Desplat's impeccable talent for orchestration.  I do however think that Giacchino writes more memorable melodies!

Maybe we'll get a score with catchier original themes but orchestrations less pleasurable to listen to?

I'm all about the orchestrations, hence why I joined up at JWFan.com.  

It's certainly true that neither of them are even close to an equal for Williams in terms of melody or orchestration.

Anyway, I tend to enjoy Desplat's scores most when he uses non-traditional ensembles, like his work for Wes Anderson.