Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I did like his dig about the trend of modern film scores being little more than handholding underscore; perhaps referring to Marvel's homogenised music and an indication of Lucasfilm's different approach. 

Yeah, I liked hearing that. 

53 minutes ago, Will said:

Not sure how to feel about how there are not too many Williams references. But I guess it makes sense. Ultimately, there are surely going to be so many anthology films that we'll want variety and won't want the films to be slaves to the originals. 

I mean the percentage of TFA that was existing themes was probably similar, but the ones that were there were very notable, scoring "big" moments in the film.

It's not like I'd want Gia to just lift minutes of Williams into the score anyway.  Short thematic references when they're called for sounds good.

Anxious to see what Gia does with the Williams themes. Wasn't really a fan of how the JP theme was used in his Jurassic World score, but I feel like there's a chance this may turn out better and more cohesive (if he was able to navigate the time crunch). Found it interesting that he had pretty specific opinions of how he wanted to use stuff after seeing the film.

I don't anticipate there being many existing themes used. The force theme will obviously be there, as well as the Imperial march and the main theme. Other than that I expect new thematic material. 

Even though I think very highly Giacchino, I am excited to hear this score. Just to see how he plays around in JW's world will be fun. I was pretty disappointed with his score to Lost World but I think Rogue One will be much better despite the short schedule. The sad thing is we'll probably never hear what Desplat had done. I was kind of more excited for his score than I am for Giacchino's. 

The interview left me wuth mixed feelings...

In once hand we have Giacchino writting in WWII style, and geting very invilved with the film

On the other hand we get giacchino not being forced to mimick williams and do his own thing (like in star trek). 5% references of Williams material....

I really hoped much more williams...not re-recordings but use of his themes in different ways. I mean. everytime darth vader (or the empire) is on screen the imperial march must play as it does with williams. Not only in his first revelation scene.

Well lets see when we get in the end.

Gia is probably better doing his own thing rather than cooying Williams as Jurassic World showed us .

Which Medal of Honor scores should I check out?

57 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Gia is probably better doing his own thing rather than cooying Williams as Jurassic World showed us .

I would recommend MOH Frontline, which I still consider the best of the bunch.

Great interview! Very educated and humble from Giacchino. He sounds like he knows exactly what he's doing, and is confident in what he has done. I like the thing about it being 95% new music. Which is exactly what I wanted. And his jokey "maaaaaybe" when asked if he did his own version of the Imperial March. 

This sounds like it's going to be a combination of his eerie percussion and sweepingly thematic stuff from LOST, and his WW2 Medal of Honour style.

It could be a damn fine score me thinks.

12 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Don't listen to Inky.

Start with the first one, then continue in chronological order onwards.

In my view, the first two are definitely the best of Giacchino's Medal of Honor work. Wasn't a huge fan of how Airborne turned out - the mix is too muddy, like Trek 2009.

41 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Don't listen to Inky.

Start with the first one, then continue in chronological order onwards.

There's quite a few!

It'll be this evening before I can listen to it (not downloading before I get on wifi) but I'll definitely listen to the first one this evening. 

3 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Absolutely start with the first. It sets the table for what the series sounds like and has some rockin action cues

https://open.spotify.com/album/7pYd9qVJOJcmpqYjSUzLgf

7 scores Bloodboal?

It's just 5

I would start chrnologically

MOH
MOH: Underground

MOH: Frontline

MOH: Allied Assault

Then, i would listen to Secret weapons ofver normany

And then MOH: Airborne

That way, you can see the Giacchino sound evolve through time.

4 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I really hoped much more williams...not re-recordings but use of his themes in different ways. I mean. everytime darth vader (or the empire) is on screen the imperial march must play as it does with williams. Not only in his first revelation scene.

Well, I too like to hear significant Williams, but remember: A) Vader's supposedly barely in the film, so even by your logic Gia wouldn't need to use his theme much and B) This:

And so there’s, I think, about 102 minutes of music in the film, and we’ve measured that there’s seven minutes of references to the earlier films.

That's JW speaking about TFA. That means that just under 7 percent of TFA's music was old themes. So if Gia estimates that about five percent of his score is old themes, that's pretty consistent with TFA. 

10 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Why should we care that Williams' themes aren't used a lot? I mean, we have 7 fucking scores (soon 8) with his themes! Is that not enough? I'd rather have more completely new music, thank you very much! Use the theme when appropriate, we don't need more than that.

Yes. Some appropriate quotes of JW themes here and there is the way to go to anchor the movie into the same universe as the other films. I'd rather have Giacchino compose an original score in the Star Wars vein than do a dutiful string of theme renditions from JW's scores.

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

5 copies, right? One with each of the different available covers.

Plus one extra for listening. 

And the vinyl. 

And the cassette if there is one. 

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

5 copies, right? One with each of the different available covers.

Yes! In fact, I just found this (not kidding):

Disney Music Emporium Site Featuring Collectible Music Products To Offer 30% Off On Black Friday And Cyber Monday Plus Weekly Friday Offers In December

Dec. 16: Rogue One CD with exclusive lithograph.

Lovely! :P