Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

The music fits well, for what we've heard in these clips. 

I liked that he didn't lean on Williams' music for the entire JURASSIC WORLD score. I think that will give us an indication of his scoring technique for STAR WARS. I'm expecting respectful nods to Williams, but an all-Giacchino sound. It only makes sense, as well, considering these are branched off from episodes one through seven (and, eventually, eight and nine).

4 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Much, much better than the last one, as far as far as 20 second clips go. I particularly like the french horn statement at the end.  

Think that might be Jyn's Theme?

12 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Think that might be Jyn's Theme?

20 hours ago, Will said:

Sounds great! 

I wonder if that's Jyn's theme we hear at the end... If it is, it sounds very much like Giacchino's Star Trek theme, etc. Not new ground. 

;)

am I completely crazy, or is there Giacchino's Rogue One music playing in the Rogue One Battlefront VR mission?

some of it is easily identifiable as John Williams and Gordy Haab's contribution to Battlefront but there's pieces I've never heard before that sound absolutely gorgeous and fit in the Star Wars vocabulary. particularly 9:45 when the Star Destroyer arrives it sounds like a piece in the vein of the Imperial March, something I think Giacchino hinted at?

now that I listen to it again it really doesn't sound anything like Giacchino but I won't be totally convinced until someone links a part of Battlefront's score that corresponds with some of the segments.

UPDATE:

okay it seems the alternative Imperial march is an unused piece from the Battlefront game:

EDIT: gonna keep making edits as I find specific points but 5:05 onwards sounds new, similar instrumentation to Leia's theme.

EDIT2: nice little sorrowful piece at 16:20 that sounds very Prequels

27 minutes ago, Manikin Skywalker said:

Gordy Haab was brought in each time DLC was released. So this is all new music by Gordy Haab.

yeah I suppose you're right. it's a little depressing because it sounds so nice but I guess it doesn't cover any new-ground and is more of an imitation of William's iconic pieces.

at the very least I wish Giacchino would bring that sound to this score if not just for being Star Warsian, but being very pleasant to listen to.

nice @aviazn, I actually enjoyed those pieces and I feel that kind of sound structure around action music is what's missing these days. hell, even Williams has been guilty of that. I far prefer the action music of the OT to TFA because it had consistency and a through-line for a listener to latch onto, quite like these pieces by Giacchino. 

for real though, what actually are the chances of Rogue One's score being good? the only difference I can tell from this and his other projects is that he's a big fan of Star Wars and said he'd try and adhere to the musical language, but the tight deadline and my lack of significant appreciation for any of his pieces lately (except the Star Trek theme) means my hopes aren't very high. any Giacchino fans, please feel free to prove me wrong by linking good recent pieces that are structurally sound and feature good thematic development, I must admit I haven't heard much from beyond the movies I've seen (Star Trek 1 and 2, Dr. Strange).

6 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

any Giacchino fans, please feel free to prove me wrong by linking good recent pieces that are structurally sound and feature good thematic development, I must admit I haven't heard much from beyond the movies I've seen (Star Trek 1 and 2, Dr. Strange).

Nice analysis Aviazn. Medal of Honor Allied Assault was my first Giacchino score (I found the mp3s in the game files, what joy!) and it's strange to reflect that his success has come alongside his writing becoming more simple. I agree the Lost was a turning point (aha! injoke!) but it suited the show so well; I can hear the sound infusing much else since however, even when it may not be the best character (this four-chords-for-sentiment people have mentioned). Anyway, I suppose Rogue One may have more of the same - it would've been great for him to have had the time, space and format of his work on Jupiter Ascending! Alas.

I could be right in saying that Speed Racer features some of his more complex writing (again, for him). I am happy to be proved wrong though as I learn more musical theory from people here. The complete score to Speed Racer shows it off better, but this edit of Casa Cristo will have to do:

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's simply now way they'd include Giacchino's Rogue One score in this DLC.

That Gordy Haab is a talented guy, they should release some CDs of his Battlefront music

Even a limited release with Intrada would do well. I'd definitely buy one if they released it. Looking forward to finally playing the game over Xmas!

I'm not good at the shooty-shoot games!  Still waiting for a good Star Wars game that's more my speed to come out post-LucasArts closing.

A single player adventure would be nice.

I would kill for a flight sim. Aside from Battlefront my favourite ever Star Wars game was Bounty Hunter. I loved it but man it was difficult!

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Like this one?

I owned all 3 and I've gotta say, I never liked the Super Star Wars trilogy.  I loved Shadows of the Empire on N64 despite its (many) flaws, but IMO the first great Star Wars game on a home console was the first Rogue Squadron.

All the best Star Wars games were PC games

Shame the original LucasFilm Games / LucasArts team was never able to make an adventure game set in the SW universe

1 hour ago, BuzzLightyear said:

Do you think Gordy Haab will ever write scores for big hollywood movies?

If he was offered I'm sure he would. I think he should be working on the Star Wars movies, if not composer then at least Orchestrator or Consultant. He knows the Star Wars material so well. 

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

cool. when was this released? I do love when it goes full dramatic Hollywood and you get those gorgeous strings that I associate the more dramatic moments of Star Wars with. even the second track has a bit of a Star Wars feel at the beginning, an eclectic sound similar to something like Ewok Parade.

this score is also mixed really well but his movie ones aren't?! I don't understand but I fear Rogue One may get the par-the-course sound treatment.

16 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

this score is also mixed really well but his movie ones aren't?! I don't understand but I fear Rogue One may get the par-the-course sound treatment.

Tomorrowland is a movie. All of Giacchino's recent scores have sounded much better than they did in the early 2010's, so Rogue One should sound good.

1 hour ago, RPurton said:

Tomorrowland is a movie. All of Giacchino's recent scores have sounded much better than they did in the early 2010's, so Rogue One should sound good.

ah. excuse my ignorance then.

okay, it's pretty much confirmed by this point that I was wrong about the Rogue One VR mission. the sorrowful piece at the end is actually this from the DLC:

It's probably because this is middle of a scene where, If we use Giacchino's last scores as a guide, it's book-ended by a major theme statement. 

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Just look at the difference in acting!

Rogue One is gonna suck. A one year memory. Anakin Skywalker will be remembered and talked about for millennia!

I got the 'go' for press screening today (December 13th). Yay! But it's the same ordeal as last year, with signed embargos, frisking before entering the theatre etc. Insane. I'm dreading the Giacchino aspect, but looking forward to pretty much everything else, despite the controversies surrounding the re-cuts.

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

I got the 'go' for press screening today (December 13th). Yay! But it's the same ordeal as last year, with signed embargos, frisking before entering the theatre etc. Insane. I'm dreading the Giacchino aspect, but looking forward to pretty much everything else, despite the controversies surrounding the re-cuts.

Make sure to tell us what you learn! :)