Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

If you're looking for Likes, you've come to the wrong place!

I read it the same way as you, but that's not what he said. Are you drunk too?

4 minutes ago, Jwrocks12 said:

Why did no one reply "I Like This Kid" to my first post?

It's interesting that they decided not to put a main title recording on the album at the beginning or end. Was wondering if they'd do it.

I know it's not in the film but it might have appeased fans. 

On track titles...

I rather like Giacchino's humorous style when he's working in light animated films, etc., but I'm glad that for SW he's mostly ditching them.

Good, serious, simple track titles can take on an almost poetic quality. 

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

There's been a spoiler going out for awhile about the Whills being involved in jedha so at least it's inline with that. 

Tracktitles also seem to fit with what has been rumoured about the plot. 

Cool! I knew there was supposed to be a mythology connection there but I didn't know the specifics, really. 

I've always been fascinated by the Journal and look forward to a name drop or more. 

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

"Appease fans"? You make it sound like they're infuriated the movie won't have a opening crawl/main title.

Plus, why would they feel the need to "appease fans" by putting a main title recording on the album? It would be a bit ridiculous, to be honest.

Well, I guess that was the soundtrack producers' reasoning. :)

Can't listen now. Does it have a big thematic statement? 

Can't see the film until the Saturday. :(

I'll almost certainly listen to the OST beforehand -- I don't think I'll have the patience to wait, and if the score isn't immediately likeable then it'll end up being a bad experience if I watch the film first.

Can't wait to check out that Imperial Suite! :D New Recording of The Imperial March!?

They should have just re-recorded the concert version for the CD. 

I wish I was more excited for this score, but Giacchino's had kind of a disappointing 2016 for me so far with just a few standout tracks.  I'm certainly going in with as open a mind as I can manage and want to like it though!

Oh hey, that link has all the individual track times too

01 He's Here For Us 3:20
02 A Long Ride Ahead 3:56
03 Wobani Imperial Labor Camp 0:55
04 Trust Goes Both Ways 2:45
05 When Has Become Now 1:59
06 Jedha Arrival 2:48
07 Jedha City Ambush 2:19
08 Star-Dust 3:47
09 Confrontation on Eadu 8:06
10 Krennic's Aspirations 4:16
11 Rebellions Are Built on Hope 2:56
12 Rogue One 2:05
13 Cargo Shuttle SW-0608 4:00
14 Scrambling the Rebel Fleet 1:33
15 AT-ACT Assault 2:55
16 The Master Switch 4:03
17 Your Father Would Be Proud 4:52
18 Hope 1:38

19 Jyn Erso & Hope Suite 5:52
20 The Imperial Suite 2:30
21 Guardians of the Whills Suite 2:53

TOTAL TIME - 69:28

Yeah quite short tracks but a big Jyn suite! I'm also pretty sure the samples are already available somewhere! Gonna try to find them for today xD

If Rogue One is a 2-hour score like Jurassic World is, then I will likely find the OST program unsatisfactory

21 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It all depends on the cues selection!

True although there was nothing wrong that WAS included on the JW CD. It's just that it wasn't enough.

Karol

Yay, times!

I think these times are perfectly fine. I doubt they're really any shorter than JW's TFA ones.

Well, I guess I am a little disappointed that two of the suites are on the short side.

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

True although there was nothing wrong that WAS included on the JW CD. It's just that it wasn't enough.

Karol

I disagree, actually.  In Jurassic World's case, there's a good 15-20 minutes of material chosen I would have swapped out for different music, and ended up with a CD much more representative of everything Giacchino had going on with that score

11 minutes ago, ChewyBomber said:

As for the samples, I tried to find them but I've found nothing yet. I don't remember, did we have samples for TFA before it leaked?

Please find them

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

I disagree, actually.  In Jurassic World's case, there's a good 15-20 minutes of material chosen I would have swapped out for different music, and ended up with a CD much more representative of everything Giacchino had going on with that score

The only thing I would get rid off is the entire source music section. I didn't care for any of those.

Karol

10 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The only thing I would get rid off is the entire source music section. I didn't care for any of those.

Karol

I don't either, actually.  They play perfectly fine in the film, but are the least essential music recorded for the film to be presented with precious OST space for sure...

1 hour ago, ChewyBomber said:

I don't remember, did we have samples for TFA before it leaked?

Nope. 

Thanks for checking for this score though!

1 hour ago, Jwrocks12 said:

A suite shouldn't be 2 minutes 

Now that I think about it, these suites aren't really that short at all. 

Consider:

Both TFA and RO have three concert/album arrangements on the OST (Rogue One could in theory have more, but there are just three obvious ones). 

"Imperial Suite" is 2:30; "March of the Resistance" is 2:33.

"Jyn and Hope Suite" is 5:52; "Rey's Theme" is 3:11.

"Whills Suite" is 2:53; "Scherzo for X-Wings" is 2:30. 

Now, of course, TFA also has an extra suite that was written for the film itself (the end credits), which is rather long (6:37). 

I watched the new clip. Sounds great! A little like Williams' own Shark Cage Fugue. 

Also, I've seen speculation here that the Imperial Suite is just a suite of old Williams material, but somehow I feel like it will be largely or completely original. Remember that Giacchino has said only about 5 percent of the score is old themes. There will be a lot of Empire in this film and he's surely found it necessary to come up with a new theme or two for Krennic, etc. given that he's evidently saving the Williams themes for certain special moments. I'd guess those new themes will make up the suite. 

13 hours ago, antovolk said:

Extended version of one of the clips -

Well the music here is definitely better. It's got a nice JW progression to it. I'm just not sure how much I enjoy listening to someone else put on their John Williams hat.

David Collins had some interesting things to say about Rogue One's score on the new Star Wars Oxygen podcast. It sounded pretty positive to me, but he admitted Jyn's Theme had no impact on him (he couldn't even work out what it was).