Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

1 hour ago, Will said:

It still feels like a waste of money -- I mean, if for Rogue One they tracked in old Williams music rather than having an original score done and put the "Music by John Williams" credit in the film ... some would probably be happier! (Seems like half the fans are clamoring to hear Duel of the Fates again right now!) Some film score fans would be sad. And most people probably wouldn't notice, since if the tracking was done well everything would blend together nicely -- it would only be the general aesthetic that mattered. For action scenes where tracking would result in a total mess, they could hire a young composer on the cheap to compose little bits to fill in gaps. They could use their mock-ups in the final film and sound effects would cover up the fact that it wasn't a real orchestra. 

By that logic, why hire original actors? Why not just do it all with CGI? Why get new directors? Why not just get the same guy to direct it all? Like Grey said, this is Hollywood. Just like every aspect of the budget, if the budget allows for it, you want to tailor all the elements to the final product they have in mind. And ultimately, for films like Star Wars, the music budget is peanuts compared to what the splurge on everything else.

When pub says studios err on the caution, he speaks about the content of the music itself. Studios prefer the style of music that best suits the aesthetic that will rake in the most profit. They don't care so much about "artistic merit" or whatnot.

3 hours ago, Will said:

@publicist, so are you saying that studios "err on the side of caution" by spending lots of money on the score, even though it's unclear whether they'd actually lose much money in the short or long term if they spent way less? 

It still feels like a waste of money -- I mean, if for Rogue One they tracked in old Williams music rather than having an original score done and put the "Music by John Williams" credit in the film ... some would probably be happier! (Seems like half the fans are clamoring to hear Duel of the Fates again right now!) Some film score fans would be sad. And most people probably wouldn't notice, since if the tracking was done well everything would blend together nicely -- it would only be the general aesthetic that mattered. For action scenes where tracking would result in a total mess, they could hire a young composer on the cheap to compose little bits to fill in gaps. They could use their mock-ups in the final film and sound effects would cover up the fact that it wasn't a real orchestra. 

They could probably still sell an OST as well, since many fans would want to hear the exact sequence of tracked Williams music that accompanied their favorite scenes (just think of all the people clamoring for the Ways of the Force film version with the Burning Homestead tracking!) 

I believe that Kubrick's films have served as examples of how reusing old music can be very successful. 

I am not complaining about us getting original orchestral scores, of course!

Are you questioning why we still have original scores? Film is still an art form and most directors want original music for their movies. Also scores can be huge selling points like with Disney musicals like Frozen and Moana with their original songs. Imagine a Disney film reusing a song from a previous film. That would be hilarious!

4 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

So... much... trumpet... triplets...

I feel like that's gonna be the major signature of the score. It's Gia doing his version of Star Wars action music. It sounds good but could also get annoying if over used. 

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I'd say his Trek theme probably resonates with audiences.

Worse thing ever written and passed off as a theme. It's a motif at best and it thuds. The whole point of trek themes was to have something that soared and made you feel the ship in all it's glory. This was dead in the water before it started.

3 minutes ago, ocelot said:

Worse thing ever written and passed off as a theme. It's a motif at best and it thuds. The whole point of trek themes was to have something that soared and made you feel the ship in all it's glory. This was dead in the water before it started.

24ecb01b8c41b8b60ce196f420f6b2bf28571bd39923f5117ae5d72c2eec2116_1.jpg

22 hours ago, curlytoot said:

New clip.

Not great musically at all. He pretty much stays in the same tonality as if he has no clue how to modulate to not only keep the energy but to heighten it and move it forward, and when he does he goes somewhere related rather than shifting to get you shifting out of your seats. Come on!!! This is basic film music 101!!!

16 minutes ago, RPurton said:

24ecb01b8c41b8b60ce196f420f6b2bf28571bd39923f5117ae5d72c2eec2116_1.jpg

I feel horrible saying this but it is true. And I'm starting to score a tv show with a full 90+ piece orchestra so I'll probably get bashed left right and center when it's my turn, but the guy can not compose a theme. Even if you liked this motif, it's only a start of a theme Where is the rest of it? Compare this with any of Goldsmith's themes. There is a beginning, middle and end to his themes and any of John Williams themes, with counterpoint in some, always a B theme int he middle, modulation and having the A theme come in big after etc etc. The new Trek motif is just the start of a melody. Where is the rest? 

Edit: I thought your wrong was about my comments on his Star Trek Theme. That's what this comment was about.

You're judging it on a 36 second clip. You can find examples of boring Williams music given a similar clip. I think everyone here understands Giacchino ain't the best there ever was, but bitching about it gets you to the same place the most vehement anti-Zimmer-ites go when they reach this point: straight to meme hell.

I hate these short clips because they're spoiling moments of the film, we're hearing the music with it detached from the context of the rest of the score. The music might not sway anyone now, but it definitely has a better chance within the context of the rest of the film. 

1 minute ago, RPurton said:

You're judging it on a 36 second clip. You can find examples of boring Williams music given a similar clip. I think everyone here understands Giacchino ain't the best there ever was, but bitching about it gets you to the same place the most vehement anti-Zimmer-ites go when they reach this point: straight to meme hell.

I hate these short clips because they're spoiling moments of the film, we're hearing the music with it detached from the context of the rest of the score. The music might not sway anyone now, but it definitely has a better chance within the context of the rest of the film. 

I'm judging the cli based on what I am seeing on screen. I'm a composer. I'm looking at the energy vs the point of the music visually. His Star Warsy trumpet triplets are put in there for no reason. There is a reason when Williams uses that color. And when he shifts musically to heighten the visuals you do not hear it. It's too related. Small clip or not, this is not a boring scene, there should be a lot of intensity and shifting to move us forward without interfering with the visuals. Again, I will probably get bashed on the tv series I'm doing at some point, but just calling it out as I see it... Music is subjective. Some will like things others won't. And as for Zimmer.... Dear Lord....

4 minutes ago, ocelot said:

Small clip or not, this is not a boring scene, there should be a lot of intensity and shifting to move us forward without interfering with the visuals.

The intensity doesn't always need to be reflected in the music, however, what Giacchino wrote seems to be serviceable here, under all the dialogue and SFX, it doesn't go OTT in trying to bash you over the head with what's happening. Still, we haven't heard what music directly precedes and succeeds this clip - there really isn't enough to judge it on. 

18 minutes ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

You know, there's something to be said for not pulling the "I'm a composer" card when criticizing film music.

Why? It gives me a little insight into how I approach music. It doesn't mean you have to agree with me, or that you even like anything I do, but I am a composer, so that's where I am judging it from, not just as a listener. 

All my file says on you is 

- tends to draw attention to his own career and accomplishments in every post

- irrational hate of Zimmer

So that's where I am judging it from.  Carry on. 

2 minutes ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

All my file says on you is 

- tends to draw attention to his own career and accomplishments in every post

- irrational hate of Zimmer

So that's where I am judging it from.  Carry on. 

I'm just starting out and this is my first big tv series so I have no major accomplishments yet. I don't have awards nor have I been nominated for any, but I love what I do and I do it well. 

I do not hate Zimmer, I just know too many people who write for him, so I know how little he writes himself, was asked to join the ranks years ago and I passed.

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Your insight should speak for itself, no?

My insight is just my opinion, no more, no less :)

Reactions to Rogue One all positive, some say even more so than Force Awakens.

http://collider.com/rogue-one-reviews-star-wars/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_medium=social#twitter

Anybody read this. Gia flings shade at Zimmer.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/12/09/rogue-one-star-wars-michael-giacchino-score

Four weeks doesn’t seem like enough time.
It’s not really. But you work with the time you have. And I’m not a person that has a bunch of other composers working for me.

I love the sneaky shade Christian Clemensen also flings at Zimmer. For every all movies... he always gives a written by credit to the composer. For all Zimmer movies, he gives Zimmer only a "co-wrote" credit and it's true. Zimmer cannot claim sole credit on any film score.

Interstellar?

1 minute ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Incorrect. 

And what is this shade bullshit?  Are you a petulant high schooler?

Indeed. Also, has Zimmer ever claimed sole credit? I doubt it. Its not where his interest lies.

3 minutes ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Incorrect. 

And what is this shade bullshit?  Are you a petulant high schooler?

Lol pardon me. I usually use more agreeable vocabulary. I wanted to say fling 'mud' but that sounded too dramatic. Even disparage sounded too extreme. I guess for a really mild pointing finger thing...  so I settled on shade. Seems like common internet parlance though nowadays. 

2 minutes ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

The Most Epic Emotional Song In The World (We're Not Crying, You're Crying)

#perfectstudymusic #moveoverjohnwilliams

God I fucking hate everything. 

Was this a reaction to Rogue One's score?

3 hours ago, ocelot said:

Regardless of the quality of the theme, I still think it makes an impression on audiences, if only because it's repeated ad nauseam in each of the films.

25 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Regardless of the quality of the theme, I still think it makes an impression on audiences, if only because it's repeated ad nauseam in each of the films.

I agree it was memorable in that sense. But I don't think it struck a chord as significant as the Up theme, which had hundreds of covers following the film, and numerous people probably looking into Giacchino's general output. I know 2 friends who became general film music followers and Giacchino fans because of that theme.

9 hours ago, Will said:

I believe that Kubrick's films have served as examples of how reusing old music can be very successful. 

It really isn't. While it works in those few precious examples - even that is debatable - but with needle-dropping old and worse, very familiar music from the past on the soundtrack you risk making a fool out of yourself because the viewing public is distracted (what is that tune? where have i heard it before? how preposterous of silly movie XYZ to dare to compete with the musical genius of etc.)

Also you don't seem to realize how specific a lot of good film music really is, to editing, performances, story subtext and so on. A film is 'created' in editing and the music follows suit. To put library music behind it may work in Scooby-Doo cartoons but in a psychological drama? Heavily theme-driven space operas? I don't think so.

Just now, Stefancos said:

I want that person put against the wall and shot!

They probably only feel that way because of the use of The Imperial March in Rogue One. 

Looking forward to Gia's Rogue One Academy Award in the new year, you know, just to help validate the incoming "better than JW's Star Wars" declarations. We're all aware of just how much more insufferable those guys could be, their still untapped potential to spout internet drivel is still a real threat. You know it's coming.