Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

1 hour ago, aj_vader said:

Can't believe we don't have any samples yet. 

Excerpts from two cues in this video:

http://lrmonline.com/news/star-wars-rogue-one-take-a-first-listen-to-michael-giacchinos-original-score-for-the-flick

1 minute ago, BTR1701 said:

Thank you, I've already seen this. Sounds fantastic. 

I meant the Amazon 30 seconds of each track samples. 

5 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

Thank you, I've already seen this. Sounds fantastic. 

I meant the Amazon 30 seconds of each track samples. 

Ah, okay. I'm surprised it's not on iTunes, either. Usually by the time a film premieres, the soundtrack goes up, even if it isn't playing for the general public yet.

2 minutes ago, BTR1701 said:

Ah, okay. I'm surprised it's not on iTunes, either. Usually by the time a film premieres, the soundtrack goes up, even if it isn't playing for the general public yet.

I'm seeing it on Tuesday so I'll post a spoiler free account of the music. 

5 minutes ago, aj_vader said:

I'm seeing it on Tuesday so I'll post a spoiler free account of the music. 

I went to the premiere last night in Hollywood, but I was paying way too much attention to the movie to give a detailed review of the score. Will have to see it again or wait for the soundtrack release for that.

1 minute ago, BTR1701 said:

I went to the premiere last night in Hollywood, but I was paying way too much attention to the movie to give a detailed review of the score. Will have to see it again or wait for the soundtrack release for that.

how much Imperial March was there?

It is going to be somewhat interesting to see how many people end up preferring Giacchino's score to TFA's, and why. A lot of the TFA criticisms I've seen do seem to come from a place of "bigger is better" (e.g. probably some correlation with fans who feel the prequel music is better than the OT). Seems to come a lot from young dudes judging by Twitter and YouTube profiles. Probably their idea of great Star Wars (or John Williams) music doesn't include the often spry and sensitive character of 7's score with a centerpiece theme characterized by bells, celesta, piano, flutes, and pastoral strings. Needed more of those trumpet triplets which Giacchino apparently is providing in spades. But the film would seem to allow for more of that too.

14 minutes ago, BTR1701 said:

Do you have any general impressions of the music? Any new thematic material strike you at all?

Also curious if you recall which Williams themes were reprised, and if you thought they worked well (both dramatically and just musically in Giacchino's hands)?

And how'd you like the film? :)

14 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

It is going to be somewhat interesting to see how many people end up preferring Giacchino's score to TFA's, and why. A lot of the TFA criticisms I've seen do seem to come from a place of "bigger is better" (e.g. probably some correlation with fans who feel the prequel music is better than the OT). Seems to come a lot from young dudes judging by Twitter and YouTube profiles. Probably their idea of great Star Wars (or John Williams) music doesn't include the often spry and sensitive character of 7's score with a centerpiece theme characterized by bells, celesta, piano, flutes, and pastoral strings. Needed more of those trumpet triplets which Giacchino apparently is providing in spades. But the film would seem to allow for more of that too.

Do you have any general impressions of the music? Any new thematic material strike you at all?

Also curious if you recall which Williams themes were reprised, and if you thought they worked well (both dramatically and just musically in Giacchino's hands)?

And how'd you like the film? :)

It was very much in the tradition of Williams's original trilogy scores. Jyn and Krennic had distinct thematic material. Not sure about the other characters-- like I said, I wasn't paying that close attention. Several instances of Vader's theme, the Star Wars main title theme, and that recurring swashbuckling theme that's been in all the films but which doesn't have a name as far as I know:

SW.jpg

Imagine if it really IS better than TFA!

I think we can all agree here that Williams' latest Star Wars score was pretty darn great.

So I have no objections at all to getting something better still! ;)

Of course I realise that is unlikely to actually be the case.

But I'll settle for something appropriate and enjoyable. If it ends up being better than that, that's just a bonus. :D

5 hours ago, MikeH said:

Among all of the expected "Giacchino should score VIII/he should re-score TFA/did you know Williams' orchestrators write his music?/What is an orchestralator?" comments I've read across the internet today, this was my favorite (from someone who apparently did not get the memo)

Are these conversations really happening?  Why isn't JWFan moving in?

1 hour ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Are these conversations really happening?  Why isn't JWFan moving in?

"We can't outrun them!"

I'm just curious as to what some people are hearing that (to them) makes it sound "more like real Star Wars music!!!1!" than TFA.  Though I promise I'll sit down and give the album a fair listen when it's released.  

Could anyone tell from the music featurette if the recording was done with the entire irchestra as one or if it was done in sections again?

I got the impression it was all together this time, but I'm no expert here so I can be sure.

And William Ross did the orchestrations? That's interesting to be sure!

I seem to remember he was even credited with more than just orchestration on The Force Awakens on the Blu-Ray.

Did he not get an "additional music by" credit? Considering Williams had massive amounts of time to write the score, I do really wonder what is behind that...

12 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Could anyone tell from the music featurette if the recording was done with the entire irchestra as one or if it was done in sections again?

I got the impression it was all together this time, but I'm no expert here so I can be sure.

And William Ross did the orchestrations? That's interesting to be sure!

I seem to remember he was even credited with more than just orchestration on The Force Awakens on the Blu-Ray.

Did he not get an "additional music by" credit? Considering Williams had massive amounts of time to write the score, I do really wonder what is behind that...

If I remember correctly Ross was assisting with conducting on TFA.