Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

28 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, he does.

I don't remember it from TFA...

Are you talking about the other six?

Also, if they used the exact ANH sheet music, why a credit for Spencer but not for JW in the end credits?

I'm confused. Are we sure this isn't the original Spencer's kid or something? :P

Well, I guess if they did literally use the same exact sheet music or, particularly, recording as one of the OT films that might explain why the OST doesn't seem to include the end credits opening.

7 hours ago, ymenard said:

More, say, than Medal of Honor or Secret Weapons over Normandy?

I guess this era of Giacchino is over will never come back again.  Perhaps that since it happened so early in his career, it was just a rush of artistic liberation especially if you consider he wasn't constrain on tracking anything in these early video games (no click track or intense spotting).

There has ALWAYS been a click track.

-Erik-

11 minutes ago, Will said:

I don't remember it from TFA...

Are you talking about the other six?

Oh sorry, I was talking about the original 3 films, which he worked on . I dunno if he got credited on 1-3 or 7 or not

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Oh sorry, I was talking about the original 3 films, which he worked on . I dunno if he got credited on 1-3 or 7 or not

Oh. Yeah, that's what I meant above.  Interesting that Spencer gets credited for Rogue One but not for the saga films made after his death.

That's what I meant about them pulling the sheet music used in the original '77 sessions being a possible reason for requiring the Spencer credit.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Super 8 and Tomorrowland are his most Williams-sounding scores.

Tomorrowland sounds nothing like Williams.

Medal of Honor bares resemblance to Williams largely because of the construction of the action set-pieces.

The score is serviceable. Nothing more. Not a single memorable new theme. One of them sounds like someone heard Across the Stars once and then tried to play it from memory but badly. 

The new imperial theme makes you wonder why he didn't just use the imperial March because it just sounds like a pale imitation. 

Way too much over bombastic brass that just sounds obnoxious and loud. 

He used JW's themes better but on first impression I think JW is a better score. 

44 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

Apparently, if it doesn't leak by then, it'll be posted on another Forums at 7 AM EST tomorrow.

AM? Not PM?

Just back from seeing the film. I'm a Star Wars fan and I loved it. I also loved the score too! Giacchino really tries to imitate John style without doing the exact same thing and it works really well with the movie.

I definitely disagree with people saying there's no memorable themes because there are: that Empire theme has been in my head since I left the cinema. Jyn's theme sounds pretty nice as well. I noticed the other theme which has that similar intro to 'Across the Stars' and I think it's perfectly apropriate for the character it's associated with (forgot the name of that 'force' guy).

So yeah, I'm not disappointed at all, and I really look forward to getting my CD!

37 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

Morning, apparently.

So, just to reiterate -- in the United States, you mean Thursday at 7 AM (morning) on the East Coast? :)

Guys, please don't use this board to openly discuss illegal music leaks, and when/where to get them. There are so many other places you can go to do that. We're just here to talk about the music, not where to get it. 

1 minute ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Whaaaaa? If it's the clip I accidentally clicked on it sounded like Anakin's Dark Deeds. 

Yeah, a parody version of it.  The choir singing whole-note WAAAAAAAAAAAAAs on two alternating minor key chords.   

7 minutes ago, zaddini said:

What clip exactly, sir?

Yeah, that's what I was wondering at first too. :lol:

But then I realized it must not be one of the officially released ones.

I'm definitely planning to keep that a surprise for the OST and/or film. 

Amazon apparently not shipping my copy of the soundtrack until release day, putting its delivery date as mid-late next week.  Anyone know what retailers in the US will have it in stores Friday?  I'm tempted to just cancel the Amazon preorder and pick it up in stores if I can find it.

Hoping that school will be canceled tomorrow due to the expected extreme cold... (no, it's not really that cold (0 degrees F with -25 wind chill) unless you're walking a long distance, but the public school system here has canceled for similar conditions in the past)

It's getting late for that, though...

Ordinarily, I'd hate a cancellation. It means everything gets crammed into a shorter time the next class, or, worse, we get tons of homework. Plus an extra school day tacked on at the end of the year.

However, tomorrow the Rogue One OST will drop... And I don't want to wait until after school to listen. :lol:

58 minutes ago, peter.anschutz said:

Amazon apparently not shipping my copy of the soundtrack until release day, putting its delivery date as mid-late next week.  Anyone know what retailers in the US will have it in stores Friday?  I'm tempted to just cancel the Amazon preorder and pick it up in stores if I can find it.

Amazon always has it on your door on release date if you live in the US

Just saw the movie and decided it's time to reactivate my JWfan contributions after a few years, though i couldn't get into my old TIEfighter account ;-)

Now, concerning the movie: I'd give it a 5/10. It's not terrible, but definitely not great either. Weird CG characters, poor pacing (especially at the beginning and the end), less than convincing characters and nonsensical story developments are the main flaws.

As for the music: It's not bad, but it is NOWHERE close to even the worst Star Wars score our Johnny has done.

And don't get me wrong, I'm primarily a Star Wars fanboy and I'd love to rest easy knowing that our galaxy far, far away will rest in a competent composer's hand once John Williams won't be able to score those movies anymore, but Giacchino isn't the man for the job. I'm 100% sure about that now.

His score mostly works and never sticks out inappropriately, except for the emotional moments which sound slightly cheesy and forced (the moments themselves are cheesy to, so there's that). But it just isn't a John Williams score and lacks certain qualities (esp. Memorable themes), and when you know the Star Wars formula by heart, you realize when something's not quite the same.

Looking forward to more reviews :-) good to be back here

This wait is so excruciating!!!

And it looks like school won't be canceled tomorrow so I'll have to sit through a whole day before listening! :kaboom:

1 hour ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Not if you don't pay for Prime.

Oh, really?  That's too bad.  I didn't know that.

1 hour ago, tUfnTIEfighter said:

i couldn't get into my old TIEfighter account ;-)

Do you no longer have access to the email account its connected to?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Amazon always has it on your door on release date if you live in the US

1 hour ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Not if you don't pay for Prime.

I have Prime but alas, I haven't received notification of its shipment; in fact, the estimated delivery date is the 22nd or 23rd!  I'm crossing my fingers hoping it'll go out tomorrow and just ship really fast...

EDIT: Just noticed in the fine print of their release date delivery policy that they don't offer that for PO Box addresses.  Can't remember what happened with the TFA release, but UPS by default drops our Amazon packages at the PO despite the shipping address being our street address. I've never been able to figure it out (they've only been doing it for a few years now).  Anyway, that may have something to do with it.  Ah well, I'll be content with the Jurassic Park release for the time being.