Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

I seem to remember that The BFG OST arrived a few days late for me from Amazon (don't have Prime). 

That might have been because there were other things in the order that took longer to be ready to ship or something, though, can't remember...

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Do you no longer have access to the email account its connected to?

That's correct, disabled this Email long ago because I hadn't used it for years. Anything that can be done about it? If not, that's perfectly understandable ;)

11 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The last time I remember that happening was for The Two Towers. Now that I think about it, that was the only time I remember that happening.

I had that happen for the Matrix Reloaded of all things

rad score tho

I've seen it twice now. I really liked the score but I can't agree with the people who are saying it's better than Williams' Force Awakens score. I do take issue with some of the placements of the cues. Overall good though. 

Just back from seeing it.  I liked parts of the movie, but did not like it overall, and a lot of that is down to the score.  It's not a bad score, but BOY is it not John Williams.  I am a Giacchino fan in general, and I'll give him credit for trying to (mostly) steer his own course; but on the whole, I don't think it worked.  I did enjoy the end-credits music, though, so maybe once I've listened to the soundtrack a few times, I'll appreciate it.

I didn't get much out of the score for The Force Awakens until I'd heard it several times, so maybe something similar will happen here.

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The film feels a bit overspotted.

Karol

Perhaps a case of overcompensating with music because of insecurity?

19 minutes ago, Oskar said:

Was I hearing things or did Giacchino also quote the Imperial motif from ANH during the first Vader scene?

Yes, he does quote it.

Not being familiar with Giachinno's output at all (except, perhaps, Up?), I tried to like the score. I think it has some decently crafted moments that work on the film, and an overall Star Wars bag of resources, but my impression is this was done in a rush, and overusing many devices. The most noticeable being the brass triplets, that in the movie are mixed very loud and bombastic each time, which got me tired very quick.

Emotional scenes, with the exception of one in particular, sounded far too simple to be believable in a Star Wars context, with basic harmonies and little melodic and orchestration value. Chirrut Imwe's theme sounded too much like the begining of Across the Stars not to be bothered by it. I can remember even a similar orchestration for the first time it appears.

Still is not so bad, and works, so I think I'll get accostumed to it in the future.

19 Jyn Erso & Hope Suite 5:52

This is nice but... it's basically just the Yorktown theme from Star Trek Beyond!  Only a little bit different from that.  Disappointing, very disappointing.  Anyway, the Yorktown-esque theme that plays in the beginning ~2 minutes and final ~minute is clearly the theme for Jyn... the whole middle of this track wanders off and does its own thing - I don't know if its a different theme or some kind of B section of Jyn's theme, but it doesn't leave much of an impression.

20 The Imperial Suite 2:30

Is this a joke?  This is basically a pastiche of The Imperial March... like what someone would write if they were working on a project and asked to emulate the Imperial March because they weren't allowed to directly quote it.  This is a seriously weak theme, it sounds like a parody and not a true villain theme in a serious movie.  You have to wonder: Why not simply use the Imperial March in the scenes that use this theme?  Why is a third Imperial theme even necessary?  Extremely disappointed by this.

21 Guardians of the Whills Suite 2:53

This is the theme that some people thought sounded like Across the Stars.  Well, it doesn't!  Yes, the first 2-3 notes do, absolutely no question, but then it goes off and does its own thing.  It isn't a bad theme, I suppose.  Is it a theme for the main heroes of the film or something?

01 He's Here For Us 3:20

Well, immediately you know you're in a Giacchino score and not a Williams score.  The Imperial theme here sounds MUCH better than in the concert suite, that's interesting.  Actually has some menace to it instead of jokey parody.  Jyn's Theme sounds good too.  I think this would be considered a strong theme from him if he hadn't already used it 2 scores ago!  Has Giacchino entered the Horner phase of his career?

02 A Long Ride Ahead 3:56

A little brass flourish in here reminded me of Kylo Ren's theme from TFA.  Some typical Giacchino action begins halfway through... I feel like I'm in a spy movie not a Star Wars movie, though!  Yorktown Jyn's Theme sounds nice after that.... then OH MY GOD.  The ending of this track is ridiculous, like the scene was temp-tracked with the Main Star Wars theme, and he had to do a pastiche of it here.  It sounds just as silly as the Imperial Suite, my god....

03 Wobani Imperial Labor Camp 0:55

Nice little cue with a nice Jyn's Theme variation :up:

Really liking the score! Thought it worked great in the film and I like that we get a new Imperial theme seeing as the Imperial March is actually Vader's theme and so it is saved for him. Krennick is our way in to the Empire this time so it makes sense that we get new material for him.

I also had no problem with the title cue. Sounded just fine as a Star Wars spin-off fanfare to me.

04 Trust Goes Both Ways 2:45

More Yorktown Jyn's theme, is this going to be in every track?  Wow, about 45 seconds in, we get our first Williams theme: The Force Theme, and its... remarkably well done! :up:  One of the problems with the Jurassic World score was that when a big statement of Williams' theme was uses, his cues never gracefully led into them, his cues always just kinda ended and then we would get this big statement of a Williams theme orchestrated exactly the same way it was in the original film.  Here, the Force Theme is reorchestrated and actually integrated into the cue nice and gracefully!  This isn't a mystical version, or sweeping emotional version of the Force Theme, more of a driving, action moving presentation, and it sounds pretty good!

Anyways right after that passage we get a return to his LOST sounds, and the rest of the track kind of peters out with percussiony underscore.

06 Jedha Arrival 2:48

Another nice big runthrough of Yorktown Jyn's Theme, sounds good.  Rest of the track meanders of into un-memorability.

07 Jedha City Ambush 2:19

Nice little action cue :up:   The main string ostinato is a crutch he relies on more and more lately, but everything else here works pretty well.  

At this point, this score is VERY much a Giacchino score, with really no Williams-y moments at all.

Just seen the film. Really enjoyed it. Way more than Force Awakens. Giacchino did well with the job he had. Some lovely string ostinatos and brass flourishes. Big fan of the new Imperial theme for Krennick. It made perfect sense to focus on him musically for the bad guys, simply because pointlessly plastering the film with the Imperial March would have been overkill. The final act of battles was well scored and so too was most of the reuse of Williams stuff. I liked hearing Vaders motif used and not just imperial march for him. Nice touch. 

Definitely seeing it again. And I can't wait for the score to arrive!

08 Star-Dust 3:47

Huh, a little bit at the beginning reminds me of Leia material from ANH.  Hmmm.... the first minute of this track is clearly one cue, then there's a huge pause before another cue begins.  Why not put each in its own track?  The second cue here relies on his solo piano material he uses alot, but generally always works, and sounds fine here.  Ending of the track gets back into his LOST-y low rumbling underscore again.

09 Confrontation on Eadu 8:06

Well, this track is really good!  Doesnt' sound like a series of short cues, but a coherent 8 minutes including Jyn's Theme, that Chirrut or whatever's theme, some nice brass moments... good stuff.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

09 Confrontation on Eadu 8:06

Well, this track is really good!  Doesnt' sound like a series of short cues, but a coherent 8 minutes including Jyn's Theme, that Chirrut or whatever's theme, some nice brass moments... good stuff.

That one has a big, sweeping statement of Jyn's theme at the end, right? Quite liked that moment in the score.

10 Krennic's Aspirations 4:16

Not much happens in this track to start, until a kind of grandiose traveling (?) passage from 0:40-1:10 or so kicks in.  Then the Imperial Motif from ANH shows up!  Doesn't sound that different from ANH's variations.  Next there's an interpretation of The Imperial March, and it sounds good.  Like the Force Theme statement in the earlier track, its not a direct re-tread of a way it was orchestrated in the old films, but is actually re-orchestrated to fit into the cue.  It works!  After that, we get some quiet underscore for a bit, and then around 3:25, the Imperial Motif from ANH shows up again, and sounds awesome, it's not a grandiose version at all, its a very subtle rendition, and it sounded neat.  Oh my, then the final 10 seconds of the track is a kind of generic version of The Imperial March that could have come right out of ESB.  Oh well.

11 Rebellions Are Built on Hope 2:56

45 seconds of forgetful underscore until Jyn's Theme returns for a bit.... then I thought the main Star Wars theme was starting in a nice solo horn passage... but nope, it was a tease, just the first 2 notes or so, then it went off in a diferrent direction.  Is this another theme from the score I hadn't picked up on until now?  Then we're back to more Jyn's theme (is this theme ALL OVER the movie too, or did he just pick every cue that contained it for the album program?)  Ends with a nice subdued version of Yorktown Jyn's Theme.

12 Rogue One 2:05

Feels like I'm listening to a Medal of Honor score and not a Star Wars score.  Force theme appears 25 seconds in and sounds good!  Wow, I ended up liking this track a lot, good stuff! :up:  Force Theme returns again towards the end and still sounds good.   This track is easily the most fun music in the score so far

13 Cargo Shuttle SW-0608 4:00

Neat variation of Jyn's Theme a little bit before a minute in here.  More Jyn's Theme later.  Overall a decently arranged 4 minutes of action and suspense.

14 Scrambling the Rebel Fleet 1:33

Not too shabby!  Jyn's theme interpolated with The Force Theme, and a quick Star Wars Main theme cameo!

15 AT-ACT Assault 2:55

Finally the Rebel Fanfare, I was wondering when that would show up.  It doesn't sound that good however, has no "heart".  Maybe its not a triumphant moment in the film and that's why, but it does't sound very pleasant.  Other than that, a decent, but typical Giacchino action cue (Medal of Honor ish again)

16 The Master Switch 4:03

Nice grandiose action cue with some choir and epic passages.  Must be the climax of the movie...

17 Your Father Would Be Proud 4:52

Very classic Giacchino emotional strings here, but it still works.  Nice wrap-up track of the score/album, with a big choral rendition of Jyn's Theme and some other nice passages to finish everything up.

18 Hope 1:38

Is this the last cue in the film, something from the end credits, or another suite?  It's got a huge choral passage in the first half.  The scond half has a pretty silly sounding martial version of the Imperial March, a brief runthrough of the Imperial Motif, then another new Force Theme passage to end things.

The new Imperial Theme doesn't really work for me. It's clear Gia is trying to summon all the strength of the Imperial March without actually quoting it. The motif itself sounds half-finished and the suite track seems to just rush through introducing the melody without giving it space to establish in one's mind or much development throughout. Still excited to get familiar with the score though.

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

18 Hope 1:38

Is this the last cue in the film, something from the end credits, or another suite?

Based on your description of it, it's the music for the very last scene of the film (though it's weird there's one theme you didn't mention. Maybe the statement was cut out of the album?).

Ok, I am a huge Star Wars fan, they are my favorite films (and scores). And I´m also a big Giacchino "student" (in Mike Matessino words hehe). I remember when JJ Abrams was announced as Episode VII director, the first thing that I thought was, wooo an Star Wars soundtrack by Giacchino!! That´s because I never hoped for another John Williams score, but thank god, I was wrong. In the very first listenings, it didn´t touch me, but after watching the film, now I love TFA, I think it is one of the finest Williams efforts in the last 20 years, and I prefer it over the prequels.

When Giacchino was announced as Rogue One composer, it make my day, because he is my favorite composer (Williams is not my favorite, he is "God" hehe). And after having listened the score for the first time, I need to say that it is almost exactly what I was expecting. It is a Giacchino soundtrack, no doubt. His fans are going to love it, and his haters are going to hate...

I think Michael had a lot of fun with it. The action and the new Imperial "nazi" theme are very, very Medal of Honor to me. And Jynn´s theme is great. I don´t think like Jason that it sounds much similar to the the Yorktwon theme. But I do love Doctor Strange and he doesnt´t like it very much :P.

In a few hours I am going to watch the movie. And with Giacchino, his scores always grown on me a lot after seeing the film. 

I'm a big Gia fan and love his ST scores. I haven't heard the OST but I've just seen the movie. I'm massively disappointed by the score.

My opinion might change when I hear the album but it sounded just functional as a sci fi adventure score and utterly underwhelming as a SW score. I felt no emotion whatsoever from the music and the themes sounded very bland especially the one that was used over the movie's title. :(

The action music burried under the sfx might be better on album though.

I listened to the OST and I really liked it! Of course, it's no John Williams, but it sounds like Star Wars definitely and new themes, including the imperial theme, are great!

20 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Halfway through the OST, and so far, I agree with people who say there isn't a lot of exciting material. But damn, I'll repeat what I said in my first post regarding the score (even though I was my comment was vague regarding that moment): the last minute of Confrontation on Eadu is really excellent and probably the closest Giacchino ever got to Williams.

The very end actually reminds me of some "The Clone Wars" sounds by Kiner, but yeah, that part is quite amazing.

Two listens into the OST now and it is better the second time around.

The first half of the album has a lot of meandering but the second half is a lot stronger.

I realized that the theme that starts out like Luke's Theme in "Rebellions Are Built on Hope" is the same theme that is in the middle of the "Jyn Erso & Hope Suite", so I suppose its a theme that represents hope (EDIT: and/or the rebellion as a whole).  So, I hear 4 themes so far:

Jyn's theme (beginning and end of "Jyn Erso & Hope Suite"

Rebellion / Hope theme (middle of "Jyn Erso & Hope Suite")

Imperial theme / Krennic's Theme ("Imperial Suite")

Chirrut's theme ("Guardian of the Whils Suite")

I've read there's a fifth theme, a theme for Saw Gerrera.  Where is that on the album?

Oh, I thought that was the hope theme :lol:

EDIT: OK, so the hope / rebellion theme is the same thing.

I guess the fifth theme is for Saw Gerrera - where is THAT one on the OST?

1 hour ago, Marcus said:

I almost never do this, but after having heard a few tracks off "Rogue One" 's soundtrack, I really need to vent:

This isn't just bad.

It's ugly. 

And I think the reason is sadly obvious: Giacchino's attempt at pastiche in such an iconic musical universe can only showcase his own shortcomings.

It would have been an ungrateful task even for much better equipped writers, but as it stands, it simply sounds like a fan score. 

There's no point in dwelling on the awkwardly constructed themes, the inelegant emulation, the artlessness of it all... 

If I ever listened to the ost I'd probably agree with the gist of this. Alongside the movie though (where it matters), the score Giacchino provided works pretty well, most of the time. Overall, it enhances the film more than it detracts (and it certainly does detract at times). 

While I was watching the film, there were a couple of occasions were I appreciated the sound of the orchestra, and the basic realisation that very few movies sound as aesthetically agreeable as this in 2016. I have to at least acknowledge Giacchino for keeping the tradition alive, and for being as honest with it as he can be. 

4 minutes ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Mark this post well, because seldom do you see such prophecy.

ROTFLMAO

You are so full of yourself!

I don't think this film or its score will have much of an impact on anything in Hollywood.  Hollywood is as Hollywood does.  Scores all all different styles will continue to be requested, just like they always have an always will.

Jyn's Theme is alright, but he already basically did it two films ago so that kind of lessens the impact for me.

The Imperial Theme should never have been approved the way it is

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Jyn's Theme is alright, but he already basically did it two films ago so that kind of lessens the impact for me.

The Imperial Theme should never have been approved the way it is

Yeah it would have had a bigger impact if we hadn't heard Yorktown.

The imperial theme is huge misstep. You know the How It Should Have Ended videos whose music captures the general tone/structure of a movie's music but goes off in a much weaker watered down direction than the original. This imperial theme sounds like their version of the imperial march.

The main theme hasn't much value either.

It's strange complaining about Gia's themes when only a few hours ago I was loving the Yorktown and Jaylah' theme suites on the STB deluxe.