Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

30 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

I just came back from my second viewing of the film, and there was a few cues that remain unreleased that are really cool, in my opinion. It seems we're missing a number of cues from the first half of the film, and even near the ending as well.

I hope to see it again at some point, although I'm quite busy now. Perhaps around New Year's. 

The only important unreleased cue I can remember is the one where we first see Yavin 4. It has the Force theme and rebel fanfare IIRC. 

well the first act doesnt miss a lot of music I'd call desirable

aside from the aforementioned Yavin arrival and the almost completely unheard on the OST Jedhah theme

also going by slate numbers there should be a lot more missing music between Jedhah Arrival, Hearts of Kyber and and Jedhah City Ambush

but I only counted like two

the second act is nearly complete aside from small scenes before and after they were at Eadu

the third act misses some nice action material, Chirrut's guerilla warfaring, the rebels destroying the AT-CTs, the hammerhead pushing the stardestroyer

but thats only 3 tracks, the FYCs filled a lot of gaps here

11 hours ago, publicist said:

like a square peg in a round hole 

If the ground is soft in the morning the peg will still go in quite easily, and will even make the round hole fit around it, providing a sturdy enough support for the scene, I mean tent. 

47 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Funny to see a lot of people originally saying the score was a disappointment slowly starting to like it more and more.

Yeah. Standards have slipped to new lows.

I like Your Father Would Be Proud but this is still disappointing to me given the source material.

On 18/12/2016 at 10:52 PM, BloodBoal said:

It was one of those awful moments, listening to the OST for the first time only to realize that this cue had not been included.

Happened to me recently with a statement of Newt's action theme in Fantastic Beasts.

29 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Standards have always been low. We were just lucky to have music that was above our standards.

I tried the roundabout way to spare the old timers.

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

Loving the Force theme and Luke's theme statements at 1:03 - 1:13. Does anyone remember what scene that it appears in? Was it when the rebel fleet arrived?

No is when the Rebel fleet is preparing to fly in Yavin 4. And Luke´s theme is used for 3PO and R2.

So if I was to assemble an end credits edit for my album (since Hope really needs to go into the end titles), what materials would I use?

12 minutes ago, MattyO said:

So if I was to assemble an end credits edit for my album (since Hope really needs to go into the end titles), what materials would I use?

It's just the opening of the ANH end credits, then the FYC track, then the end of the ANH end credits, followed by the final chord in the Guardians of the Whils suite

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

The beginning of this piece occurs many times throughout the score. It is Jyn's theme yes? Just in a more tentative way.

This rather sounds like a quotation of the "Dies Irae" motif, which Williams also used often in his scores (Ep. 2-4,7, Home Alone, etc.)

I'm on my first listen of this score. I have a playlist combining the OST and the FYC running.

I'm rather enjoying it for the most part. It's a decent Giacchino score.

Unfortunately, it lacks the strong themes Williams writes and misses the melodic action set pieces the old Star Wars scores used to have. There's also an uncanny way in which the other Star Wars scores manage to sound different for each planet. Rogue One has none of that and sounds the same throughout. At some points, I might as well be listening to Star Trek into Darkness.

It's a decent score, but unfortunately, it has the shadow of some of the finest blockbuster film scores in history looming over it.

Holy shite people are miserable.

I wish I lived in the 70's, when no one had any public platform to constantly bitch about everything. If only humans would talk to each other these days, so I could discuss things without the poisonous faceless entity that people become on the internet.

7 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I wish I lived in the 70's, when no one had any public platform to constantly bitch about everything. If only humans would talk to each other these days, so I could discuss things without the poisonous faceless entity that people become on the internet.

Good god, man. You need to take a long vacation with a large bag of weed. 

19 minutes ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

Good god, man. You need to take a long vacation with a large bag of weed. 

Just want to discuss things without people saying everything is terrible and we're all going to die.

35 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Aww, some people disagree with your opinion and you're all upset about it again, bless. We're such a tortured, gloomy crowd here, it must be incredibly difficult for you. 

Some are, but when I, or anyone mentions a legitimate opinion, it is met with comments about how awful said thing is, instead of why they believe that. And it kills any conversation that is ongoing and turns it into a bitch-fest for 3 pages, until someone brings up another legitimate opinion.

He is lurking among is, that foul fiend! He is trying to destroy JWFan from the inside. And from its ashes, he shall build MGFan for his reign of terror to come!

I'll say it before and I'll say it again, I'm pretty sure Jyn's theme is Dies Irae with some minor adjustments, so that tentative part at the beginning of 'Rebellions are Built On Hope' is almost certainly Jyn's theme especially considering the scene it accompanies.

Does anyone think we will get a deluxe/expanded release of this score at some point? I'm hoping so; there seems to be quite a lot of music that was left off the album. In fact, some of my favorite music I noticed in the theater, is not there.

4 hours ago, curlytoot said:

Not sure if you guys saw this; Giacchino's alt-list of punny track titles.

okvYFcC.jpg

I did

On 12/15/2016 at 6:02 PM, Jay said:

Wow, that FSM poster wasn't joking, there actually is a list of pun titles in the booklet! Wow! 

And

On 12/16/2016 at 4:18 PM, Jay said:

And here's the spreadsheet!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P1YtETbm10jj2PUJ_4l9bBdVuVVtm8u3QP4ea3Y8CG8/pubhtml

I welcome all corrections!

28 minutes ago, curlytoot said:

Does anyone think we will get a deluxe/expanded release of this score at some point? I'm hoping so; there seems to be quite a lot of music that was left off the album.

For some reason, I think it is more possible than not. But there's been no 2 disc version of TFA yet, so that's not a good sign. 

28 minutes ago, curlytoot said:

In fact, some of my favorite music I noticed in the theater, is not there.

Are the bits you're thinking of on the FYC? 

Here's a take on what the "Hope and Finale" piece might sound like. I used the ANH end title as well as the "Hope" cue and the three complete suites from the OST (yes, I know in the film the suites are cut down). I'm a very, very amateur editor so I apologize for any issues. Some of the transitions are quite jarring. This actually took me hours to do, since I am just starting out with editing!  Lots of...:kaboom:

But here it is!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uwwz2wiak3v6qoi/Hope and Finale.flac?dl=0

-----------------

Yes!!

New SW Oxygen:

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/a/3/a/a3a1eb489e46ce97/RFR_SWOxygen038.mp3?c_id=13668680&expiration=1482378568&hwt=31a1be0af2f0981d81b731fb002d2611

Looking forward to their take. I'm thinking it will take a more positive view than most here. We'll see...

http://collider.com/rogue-one-original-ending/#gareth-edwards

It's definitely arguable that Giacchino inadvertently undermined some sense of dramatic resonance in the characters with his overbearing score in some key places during the film. I wonder why he wasn't reigned in a lot in post? Probably the rush.  

Krennic's Theme is infectious (in a good way). I'm beginning to like the new Imperial March more than I did initially.

There's lot's of Star Trek Beyond and Jurassic World throwbacks in this score which is probably a sign of how tight the schedule was.

After listening to the deluxe set of Star Trek Beyond I get the feeling Giacchino had more fun, with more time to make something that was his own, rather than use Williams' mouthwash over it. Obviously given more time and less pressure to make it conform to Williams' sound, I think it would be something that can stand on it's own two feet.

Even as I wrap up my time listening to the Rogue One OST, I don't find the music enjoyable enough for me to listen to as I do other scores, I keep reminding myself not to expect from this score the complete mastery of the orchestra that JW routinely displays in his own scores. I think to start with that expectation does a disservice to the music of Rogue One, much of which is effective and appropriate for the film. 

I remember a short podcast segment somewhere that broke down all the different voicings in Harry's Wondrous World. The orchestration was incredibly complex. There is just so many parts playing behind the main melody, all contributing to a musical tapestry and enhanced the emotion and communication of the piece. JW's music has a complexity and nuance that is pretty much unmatched by other composers who write for orchestra. 

I love how you can hum the Imperial March along with the choir. Great nod of using the Imperial March's shape and sound, but without obviously using it. The 3 big repeating notes that the choir sings, are the first 3 repeating notes of the March.

6 hours ago, Manikin Skywalker said:

Do we know yet if the end title for Rogue One was a new recording, or just reused from TFA?

New recording.