Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

Just now, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Bullshit. 

Perhaps it is a Christmas miracle!

People calling bullshit about any praise heaped on the score, yet they haven't heard it themselves yet...

It could be a shit tip, but hear it first before shooting down any positive feedback.

Force Awakens score isn't perfect at all. Personally, I think what Williams did for the Falcon chase on Jakku, and the Rathtar stuff was not musically interesting at all. I skip all those tracks regularly when I listen to the score.

I am interested in hearing what Giacchino has done and am very very very cautiously optimistic.

Who knows, perhaps he has found some untapped musical vein of inspiration, that will unleash musical magic in him.

29 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

People calling bullshit about any praise heaped on the score, yet they haven't heard it themselves yet...

It could be a shit tip, but hear it first before shooting down any positive feedback.

Force Awakens score isn't perfect at all. Personally, I think what Williams did for the Falcon chase on Jakku, and the Rathtar stuff was not musically interesting at all. I skip all those tracks regularly when I listen to the score.

Oh Lee Allen, you broke my heart!

godfather-kiss.jpg

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

I agree with this. 

11 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I agree with this. 

Lee, you broke my heart!

godfather-kiss.jpg

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

Amen.

I enjoy about thirty five percent of the Force Awakens music a great deal, but the rest of the ost album leaves me unmoved. As I've said before, I've convinced myself there's a really great score full of unused cues and alternates in existence. The pickups and late changes to the film harmed the score presentation as we know it. 

8 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Djiatchino can only dream of composing something half as expertly written as the music in that sequence, and even if he did, the other half would still be less than half as good

That's the problem. 

10 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I said at the time it should have been The Basket Game 2, in space. 

And i'm still not convinced that it can't be done due to rapid today's editing.

Don't get me wrong, I still listen to a lot of TFA daily, but I find myself skipping the tracks with mostly underscore.

There's always been some cues with thin underscore in recent Star Wars films but I think JJ's direction forced JW to be more restrained (not a criticism) than under Lucas. Different philosophies entirely.

I'd rather listen to TFA than any of the prequel OSTs, which have some brilliant music to be sure (especially Phantom Menace), but I think TFA is much more listenable and much more subtle and interesting.  The prequels definitely have more technically challenging action music to be sure, but I find TFA much better done in terms of consistency and use of themes.

There's some great highlights on TFA but there's definitely a chunk of the middle that all blends into one for me. 

Is Finn's theme really Finn's theme? Does it actually appear after the Rathtar chace or a season that doesn't involve running tovthe Falcon or the Falcon itself?

2 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Is Finn's theme really Finn's theme? Does it actually appear after the Rathtar chace or a season that doesn't involve running tovthe Falcon or the Falcon itself?

I have never called it Finn's Theme and JW certainly never did.  I liked David Collins' (of Star Wars Oxygen) take on it; he thinks of it as an action theme specifically for the Falcon.  The last time its used is when they're running up to the Falcon from the Rathtars.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I have never called it Finn's Theme and JW certainly never did.  I liked David Collins' (of Star Wars Oxygen) take on it; he thinks of it as an action theme specifically for the Falcon.  The last time its used is when they're running up to the Falcon from the Rathtars.

Yeah, David's theory is what I was getting at alright. 

I dunno, Boyega mentioned a Finn's theme and it seems people were rushing to find something that fit that description even though there's nothing to really suggest a Finn's theme. 

I wonder would it have scored the speeser chance? If we knew it'd answer a few questions. 

A little but from column A a little but from column B. 

I dunno, autocorrect on this forum is funny in my iPhone. It makes my actual typos far worse. 

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Paddy and Mick are walking down the road and Paddy's got a bag of doughnuts in his hand. 
Paddy says to Mick, "If you can guess how many doughnuts are in my bag, you can have them both"

I think so too.  In an alternate reality where Giacchino was hired in 2014 instead of Desplat, and Doctor Strange went to someone else so he could begin working on this in earnest right after Star Trek Beyond, and we'd have ended up with quite a different score than the 4week rush job we're getting, methinks.

I agree and disagree. Time may not increase the quality at all. JNH said himself during production of Kong, that given more time, he doesn't think it would have been any better.

I think Giacchino thrived under time constraints on LOST. I've been rewatching it all again recently, and noticing so many great thematic connections. Almost every scene from character to character involves an appropriate use and alteration of their theme with interesting outcomes. And some characters have many themes that he switches back and forth with depending on the scenes' emotional state and location. Quite impressive thematic awareness, considering he had perhaps 30 regularly used themes going at one point.