Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

1. Yeah that line always seemed weird after Revenge of the Sith but who knows, anything can be explained

2. Weird!

Well i just can say that tarkin and krennic have only one row of rank insigina in r1 but tarkin has two rows in anh. IIRC

2 hours ago, loert said:

:(

I think the last three cues are the worst part, but I admit that style of music isn't to my taste anyway.

I agree would agree that they are far from the best part of the score, at least after one listen to the OST (I assume you're referring to "The Master Switch," "Your Father Would Be Proud," and "Hope"). It's possible I'm forgetting important things in those cues though. 

8 minutes ago, dfenton85 said:

Certainly don't agree with Rogue One's placement on the STAND ALONE list. It's fairly unjustifiable having R1 above TFA and especially TPM as far as I'm concerned:

Honestly TFA is a wee bit hard to listen to in the movie. It is buried under too many FX. Some moments do pop. Specially the finale has a huge impact.

And the prequel scores were just shredded in the edit right? I am afraid even Williams magerterial Flag Parade does not pop in the movie, too many sound effects, you can barely hear it.

Of course the original trilogy has so many moments where the score takes it through the stratosphere. The music popped because you could actually hear it.

2 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Honestly TFA is a wee bit hard to listen to in the movie. It is buried under too many FX. Some moments do pop. Specially the finale has a huge impact.

And the prequel scores were just shredded in the edit right? I am afraid even Williams magerterial Flag Parade does not pop in the movie, too many sound effects, you can barely hear it.

Of course the original trilogy has so many moments where the score takes it through the stratosphere. The music popped because you could actually hear it.

It's the stand alone list that I especially don't agree with.

4 minutes ago, dfenton85 said:

It's the stand alone list that I especially don't agree with.

Yes, that list is a joke.  Rogue One is a score that was slapped together very quickly and, unfortunately, it sounds like it.  Yes, the score has some good moments but it's a mess overall.  It's a shame MG was assigned to the project so late in the game, but he accepted the task and this is what we got.

Seems like this awesome action figure from "Approach to Eadu" (which is on the FYC!) ...

... might be a variation of Jyn's theme. 

The contour is the same as the opening of the theme (here's Jyn's theme):

Cool! (I suppose it could be coincidental, though)

Now that I think about it, I wonder if Jyn is even in this scene, though (I haven't seen the film yet). @Jay?

I think the music works better on its own than in the film. There were times during the film where the music stood out in a bad way and was actually distracting/detrimental to the film. On the OST, there are very few musically offensive moments and the action music is pretty ok.

I dunno, I'd rank this one of Giacchino's worst albums, even Jurassic World is better

I'm struggling to find a track I'd even put in  "best of Michael Giacchino" compilation

Does the FYC music improve anything?

11 minutes ago, king mark said:

I dunno, I'd rank this one of Giacchino's worst albums, even Jurassic World is better

I'm struggling to find a track I'd even put in  "best of Michael Giacchino" compilation

Does the FYC music improve anything?

"Guardians of the Whills Suite" would be my choice for that. Love that theme and its suite. So much better than the rest of the album

1 hour ago, Will said:

Now that I think about it, I wonder if Jyn is even in this scene, though (I haven't seen the film yet). @Jay?

She's in every scene more or less (unless we're watching the bad guys do their thing ) 

I found this moment absolutely stunning on the first couple listens (and I see that even some of of the Giacchino-haters complimented the end of this track):

Particularly the very short bit at around 7:30 (and how it builds up to it). 

Is this segment that I've posted a theme, or derived from one?

In any case, this musical bit has this incredible inevitability to it, and the weight of ROTS (and manages to do it without using choir, which might ruin the moment). 

Great score and listening experience for me so far, a few moments have escaped me, but I'm sure it will all make much more sense after I see the film tomorrow, as did TFA after I saw that.

Reading through this thread though has been a trial, so much negativity, so many expectations many of you all had. There are dour reactions, outright bizarre reactions of people feeling physically ill (if this music makes you ill, I can only assume you're now a zombie) Some fun reactions, and very thoughtful ones, so I'm not bashing the thread! 

I had very little interest in Rogue One from the start, I'm more optimistic now, but I knew what it was going to be (both film and score) and have set my expectations accordingly. 

Listening to Rogue One and The Force Awakens back-to-back you can hear that Giacchino has put effort into trying to infuse Williams' style into his own, even if that means that it might sound like a contradiction at moments where his ideas of sombreness and softness he employs aren't what Williams would've done at all.

Maybe I've gone too easy on Giacchino, but maybe that's because I support his work more than most around here seem to do...

My spell-checker keeps trying to suggest "Pinocchio" instead of "Giacchino" :D

pinocchio 2.JPG

It is a solid 3-3½ stars score for me. Perhaps at times going to 4 stars in some moments.

The Guardians of the Whills theme was bothering me since it had something terribly familiar to it that I couldn't pinpoint but today it hit me. The opening phrase sounds exactly like the Corpus Christi Carol. And no I am not putting down the theme but rather noting a similarity.

I like how Giacchino's hope theme sounds like a cheap knock-off of Luke's theme at first but then you realise at the end that this is exactly the point as you hear the film's last line and where it ends. It was always meant to anticipate Williams' iconic melody but can't be fully stated until the end credits. Nice.

Karol - who also likes how Giacchino ends the final Vader's theme statement with Death Star motif

31 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I like how Giacchino's hope theme sounds like a cheap knock-off of Luke's theme at first but then you realise at the end that this is exactly the point as you hear the film's last line and where it ends. It was always meant to anticipate Williams' iconic melody but can't be fully stated until the end credits. Nice.

My problem with it is that it sounds like you said a cheap knock-off. Nothing classy about it. I guess I am allergic Giacchino's recent theme constructions.

7 minutes ago, Incanus said:

My problem with it is that it sounds like you said a cheap knock-off. Nothing classy about it.

But Mikko, if these observations were about The Hobbit you'd be singing praises of how clever and sophisticated it is. It is essentially a similar type of development. Think you might be bit prejudiced, my friend. Gia is really trying here! :)

Karol

26 minutes ago, crocodile said:

But Mikko, if these observations were about The Hobbit you'd be singing praises of how clever and sophisticated it is. It is essentially a similar type of development. Think you might be bit prejudiced, my friend. Gia is really trying here! :)

Karol

The development isn't a problem. It is to be commended but I can't help if Giacchino's themes sound cheap to me. No amount of cleverness will turn my head if I don't initially feel some rapport with the music. Which I feel very little in this case. Hence I don't feel Giacchino is trying too hard here although I am sure he busted his ass to compose this. I guess I am hearing that weariness in much of the music.

But bear in mind that Giacchino hasn't impressed much at any point in the past few years. I didn't exactly jump for joy with the Jurassic World either.

And since I don't have much positive to say at this point, I'll stop commenting on the subject.

On a sidenote I think Conrad Pope did marvellously on the Hobbit scores.

I think that I probably fall into that category, in that I don't think it's such a great SW movie score.
Regardless of the alleged sophistication in hinting at Luke's theme, the harmonic progression that continues it has no place in the SW universe ...imo at least.
Had this score been for a SW video game or just another movie, a kind of melodramatic action/war romp it would be great.

22 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I'm sure these persons will like the score more as time goes by. The FYC material might help in that regard.

Almost certainly true. That just comes from familiarity and how things become "normal" after a while. I love Star Wars and I'm going to watch this movie a bunch more times regardless of my issues with it!

24 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It's annoying, isn't it?

You hater, who just loves to have for the sake of hating!

Indeed!

To be fair, I think some people (basically, those who think Giacchino is a fine composer, not the Giacchino haters) may be a bit harsh towards this score because it's a Star Wars score and so you have the expectations that go with the name (and in a way, I understand them: it's definitely the least interesting of the 8 SW film scores we have). But give it another name, and they would be fine with it, methinks.

An example of that is Giacchino's Imperial theme: since it was written for the Empire in a SW film, they are bound to compare it to the Imperial March, and of course, this comparison is not in the new theme's favour. But place this theme in another score, and I doubt these persons would have really bashed that theme this much... They would have probably said it's a fine theme.

I'm sure these persons will like the score more as time goes by. The FYC material might help in that regard.

Well, it is a better theme than his Nazi theme from MOH scores. And, to be quite frank, it is bit more memorable than Kylo Ren themes (if somewhat not as refined musically).

Karol

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

People=me and I'd appreciate it if "people" would stop singling me out for my honest gut reaction. You say "so much negativity" like everyone has it out for Giacchino, like there's some kind of disingenuousness involved. What I see is a lot of honest, emotional, and/or thoughtful reactions to music that is consciously imitating the scores that are a major reason why many of us are here every day and so passionate about film music in the first place.

I consider myself a supporter of Giacchino's music as well, I have often loved his scores. But I wouldn't be much of a supporter if I couldn't acknowledge when I thought he had failed.

I didn't mean to bash you man! I just thought it was silly :D

I'm a huge Giacchino supporter and I admit that Zootopia and Doctor Strange were hit and miss. 

3 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

Maybe I'll learn to live with it but first viewing I was jarred by it.

Yes! I had the same reaction. It was so off-putting seeing all the Star Wars imagery with music that is "just OK."

Want to read my honest opinion? No? I will state it anyway. I'm bit tired of The Imperial March. Great theme, yeah. But it's just getting on my nerves sometimes very much in the same way as My Heart Will Go On and Everything I Do I Do It For You. You can't have a single JW concert without it. And it is hardly one of his best compositions, technically.

Karol

If The Imperial March didn't exist, and just Vader's motif was used for the Empire up until now, and then Giacchino composed the Imperial March for this film, some on here would call it cheesy, because it is. It works perfectly in 1980, but now it really wouldn't work if invented in todays more serious filmmaking tone.

I can imagine it now - 

"Seriously though, that stupidly over the top nazi 'I'M EVILLLL' imperial march that Giacchino wrote for the empire, was just laughable. Completely took me out of the film."

I specified that they didn't have to blare the imperial march at us every time we see the empire. Something similar sounding to what John did in a new hope would have been appropriate. But what they did was very jarring on first viewing. The empire has an established theme I don't know it required a new theme that belongs in a lesser franchise.

Yeah, it is true. But even Williams stopped using it in his later scores. And the final Vader scene in ROTS didn't have the theme over the Star Destroyer shots. And masked the theme with Force and Funeral themes. That was clever. The idea of Anakin's theme was clever too. But that didn't go anywhere. But whenever I just hear a straightforward arrangement of Vader's march I just think to myself that it's lazy.

And the composition isn't that great either. Whenever it comes up in concert I just think that I'd rather hear something else. 3-minutes of wasted time on the programme.

Karol

And just wanted to add one thing. As much as I'm tired of the Imperial March, I don't think the same way at all about the Force theme. Which never ever disappoints. Yes, I do think he reused binary sunset variation a few too many times. But, on the whole, this is the theme that never disappoints. It gives Star Wars this mythical aura that the two most popular themes never quite reach in my opinion.

Karol