Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

18 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I still don't hear it, to be honest. I would hardly call it "obvious".

Well, he starts with with quoting Imperial March but completes it with the Death Star motif.

Karol

8 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I really thought it was obvious to people, especially folks on here. The choir are singing the imperial march. Listen to the 3 big identical notes they scream. 

It's pretty much the ending of Empire's end titles.

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

Well, he starts with with quoting Imperial March but completes it with the Death Star motif.

Karol

Ok, THAT I didn't notice.  The notes are spaced a little differently.

Hey guys, long time lurker here. Anybody have an idea what's up with the end of Today of All Days on the FYC score? Did it get cut off at the end so as to remove a Williams reference? Has anyone found a good way to edit it to create a better listening experience? I trimmed off the final 15-20ish seconds and did a fade out on the held high strings. Simple, but not ideal in my opinion...

Seems to just be an error when uploading to the website that they never fixed; We don't know yet if the pressed CD version is the same or not.

It's discussed in the thread for the FYC:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26916-michael-giacchinos-rogue-one-disney-fyc-site-contains-26-12-minutes-of-additional-music/

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

Seems to just be an error when uploading to the website that they never fixed; We don't know yet if the pressed CD version is the same or not.

It's discussed in the thread for the FYC:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26916-michael-giacchinos-rogue-one-disney-fyc-site-contains-26-12-minutes-of-additional-music/

Thanks for the info. I followed that thread and tried to do a search for it before posting and came up empty. 

I've been listening to the soundtrack a lot in the past month, but I'm still having trouble distinguishing Krennic's theme from the new Imperial theme.  Using time stamps from the soundtrack can anyone point out where exactly the Imperial theme appears?

I'm not good at distinguishing stuff like this.

15 minutes ago, Demodex said:

I've been listening to the soundtrack a lot in the past month, but I'm still having trouble distinguishing Krennic's theme from the new Imperial theme.  Using time stamps from the soundtrack can anyone point out where exactly the Imperial theme appears?

I'm not good at distinguishing stuff like this.

If we're looking at "Imperial Suite", the new Imperial Theme is at 0:05.5-0:17, and Krennic's Theme is at 1:07-1:17.

8 hours ago, Demodex said:

My god they sound so damn similar.  No wonder I couldn't figure it out.

that's interesting that some people are finding these two themes blend together. in my case I was able to really clearly identify that it was two separate themes. maybe it's because of the similar orchestration?

7 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

that's interesting that some people are finding these two themes blend together. in my case I was able to really clearly identify that it was two separate themes. maybe it's because of the similar orchestration?

It sounds like the same piece, with one theme being the melody, the other the bridge (like a traditional JW concert theme).

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I've found a new theme. It represents Jyn and Galen. Like a father/daughter theme.

Well done!

I had noticed that. I thought it was already mentioned here...

The more i hear Jyn & Hope suite the more i'm accepting it as a "minor John Williams theme". I think it is the 'concert version' from giacchino that mostly captures the Williams structure.

The other two suites are too short and do not develop the themes as much. Would have benefited from 2-3 minutes more.

7 hours ago, Will said:

@leeallen01

I'm not quite hearing the connection between the romantic Jyn's theme lead in and the hologram music. 

It sounds like the big romantic section is led in by the simple piano notes. I have tried to hum that lead-in over the piano notes and the piano works as counterpoint, so maybe the piano notes are the basic structure of the melody, or I'm just hearing things.

Is there already somewhere a list of all thematic statements in this score? I'd be quite curious to see that.

Unless I am very much mistaken, there is also a "action theme/motif" that repeats several times.

Can't remember which tracks and timestamps though.

On 30-1-2017 at 2:53 PM, leeallen01 said:

I've found a new theme. It represents Jyn and Galen. Like a father/daughter theme.

Very cool! The bit at 02:21 in the "Jyn Erso and Hope Suite" definitely returns in at least three of those examples.

But for some reason, I am having a hard time recognising that first example (the hologram) as being the same theme as the other ones.

Am I missing something?

The new episode of my monthly podcast series, Musical Procrastination, is up now, where I analyse Rogue One. Next month will be the 2nd part.

http://www.bombadradio.com/e/musical-procrastination-25-rogue-one-part-1/

9 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

There's a repeating idea following the group throughout the film.

[snip]

You're right!  Well done!

12 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

There's a repeating idea following the group throughout the film.

0:55 - 1:10 on subtle Percussion.

1:04 - 1:34

3:05 - end.

I thought this motif was one of the more obvious ones...

It is repeated more throughout the film than on the album (more unreleased cues include it and develop it). It is heard the most during the sequence on Jedha, which is why I thought it was a motif for Jedha/Saw Gerrera, but since it's included on Cargo Shuttle SW-0608...

I'm very fond of that suspense motif. suitably Star Wars and gets a fun building variation in 'Cargo Shuttle SW-038' which really adds to the suspense of the scene in a classic Star Wars way.

On 2/4/2017 at 5:41 AM, leeallen01 said:

The new episode of my monthly podcast series, Musical Procrastination, is up now, where I analyse Rogue One. Next month will be the 2nd part.

http://www.bombadradio.com/e/musical-procrastination-25-rogue-one-part-1/

oh my goodness finally a podcast about the music of Rogue One! I thought I was going to explode from the anticipation of the next episode of SW Oxygen which may include Giacchino on the podcast himself! if you know of any other podcasts that have covered the music of Rogue One let me know, but for now I'm going to very much enjoy listening to yours.

EDIT: and there's plenty of other episodes on pieces of music I love too! I honestly tried searching for stuff more like SW Oxygen but couldn't find anything, this is a wonderful discovery.

On 4-2-2017 at 9:32 AM, BloodBoal said:

It is repeated more throughout the film than on the album (more unreleased cues include it and develop it). It is heard the most during the sequence on Jedha, which is why I thought it was a motif for Jedha/Saw Gerrera, but since it's included on Cargo Shuttle SW-0608...

I was pretty annoyed that the first appearance of that track wasnt on the CD or FYC

The question's come up as to why Giacchino changed the ending of the ANH end credits, and I've just realised he didn't: after the ANH End Credits finish, they tracked in the end of Jyn Erso & Hope Suite (from 5:08 of track 19).

I'm fairly sure it was the Jyn Erso theme on harp with a sustained violin chord in a high G note (which at first struck me as odd because the original ending to that cue had a low G note on cellos)

(I've seen the film three times, by the way - that's why I'm fairly sure it was the end of Jyn Erso & Hope that was used)

• 3 weeks later...

That was one of the things I was looking for when I first listened to the soundtrack (and couldn't find it, to my disappointment). It's actually probably the only unreleased cue that I personally am aware of specifically (though I know in general that there are others). This film needed more Rebel fanfare.

Just now, Demodex said:

What?  It's music that's never been on an official release, hence it's an UNRELEASED CUE. 

It's still a recording from a cinema viewing. Not exactly the best source for an unreleased cue.

At its very literal meaning, sure. But I can't be the only one who thinks a little less literally in that term. To me, unreleased music is the audio without sound effects and not recorded through a camera at the cinema.

7 hours ago, Gistech said:

I wouldn't exactly say that's an 'unreleased cue' given it's just a recording from the cinema.

I agree (in fact I actually debated how to word it). I just used that as shorthand, with the understanding that, given the embed, it would be clear that what I meant was "theater recording of a film scene that includes an unreleased cue."