Michael Giacchino's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) - 2022 Expanded Edition now available

mrbellamy

12 minutes ago, publicist said:

Would he really use the wording 'Giacchino happened and we have to deal with that' or words to that effect if that would be the case? 

I believe that was a BloodyBowl forgery.  However, the language of some "official" people may or may not be equally telling.

1 minute ago, TheWhiteRider said:

I believe that was a BloodyBowl forgery.  However, the language of some "official" people may or may not be equally telling.

They didn't move the release date. In light of JW's heavy workload on TFA it seems highly unlikely that Desplat didn't schedule for some overtime.

4 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

So it would seem the French continue to show their penchant for surrender. 

And an American has to come in and clean up this mess!

Or the Americans don't plan their movies properly 

33 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

I hope Giacchino writes a fantastic score that is universally acclaimed, and that even Williams compliments, so that some people on here cry at night hugging an artists' impression of their broken dreams.

I reckon if the score is magnificent, everyone here will embrace it, because we care about the quality of music (in this case, what we expect that quality to be), not playing the favorites game.  You're one of the few posters who seems to cling to such childish things.

56 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Indeed! I for one would cherish a brilliant Giacchino score.

Lord knows I've given the guy plenty of chances. I've pretty much given up now though, because you know...  experience... wisdom..

I recognise a false prophet by proxy. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I think the point was that Desplat thought he'd be writing the score this summer and recording it in September, and he had some other obligation for Oct/Nov Dec.

He's scheduled to be in Vienna in October to receive the Max Steiner award at this year's Hollywood in Vienna. Perhaps he just didn't want to miss out on personally receiving the award at an overblown gala. :-p

25 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

He's scheduled to be in Vienna in October to receive the Max Steiner award at this year's Hollywood in Vienna. Perhaps he just didn't want to miss out on personally receiving the award at an overblown gala. :-p

And a Concert in Spain in december...

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Indeed! I for one would cherish a brilliant Giacchino score.

You're insane. The guy can't write a theme to save his life, and his score to most big budget movies are just not musical in any way. He can't modulate right, he can't do chase scenes musically, he can't use woodwinds well.... UGH... throw up session!!!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Even Giacchino doesn't think Giacchino is as good as Williams.

Everyone who knows anything about music would say that Gia isn't as good as Williams, except for of course Williams, who would have too much class to say such a thing.

1 hour ago, ocelot said:

You're insane. The guy can't write a theme to save his life, and his score to most big budget movies are just not musical in any way. He can't modulate right, he can't do chase scenes musically, he can't use woodwinds well.... UGH... throw up session!!!

igul8h.jpg

7 hours ago, toothless said:

Well, given that gia will try to emulate williams style and heavily re use his themes, be prepared for a load of comments such as:
- "Wow john williams really knocked it out of the park this time"
- "Well better than TFA"

ROTFLMAO

5 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Don't you people know what's going on here?!!! Can't you see what Giacchino is doing?!!!!

This was the final step in a master plan. Giacchino performed an Inception on Desplat, to plant the idea that he isn't good enough to do a Star Wars film. Giacchino has been strategically setting the chess board of fate in his favour his entire life!

1) Position himself as Composer for the Lost World video game, so he is directly compared to Williams.

2) Talk about Williams being his inspiration in interviews so he is directly compared to Williams.

3) Score Star Tours to show his willingness to score Star Wars related things.

4) Score Space adventure films, John Carter, Jupiter Ascending, and even Star Trek, which is directly compared to Star Wars.

5) Deny all desire to score a Star Wars film when asked. Say Star Wars is only for Williams, so even massive Williams and Star Wars fans respect him.

6) Wait for a new composer to be chosen to score a Star Wars film, and if not him, then perform inception on said composer.

7) Prepare for world domination. 

Giacchino is Snoke!

6 hours ago, ocelot said:

Tell us how you really feel.

On 9/16/2016 at 11:20 AM, Gnome in Plaid said:

Giacchino hasn't shown a lot of inventiveness, but if there's anyone who can do "John Williams pastiche," it's him (or John Debney, or Joel McNeely, both of whom I would've preferred to Desplat or Giacchino). 

I don't know about that—Gordy Haab and Kyle Newmaster get much closer to Williams' vocabulary than Giacchino does—but I also would have picked Debney or McNeely over Giacchino. The thought of a climactic escape scene being scored with another of Gia's schmaltzy four-chord string cues, with a single piano note echoing as rebel X-wings go down in flames, etc. makes me shudder. Please, not in Star Wars!

I haven't heard much of Williams in anything Giacchino's written since the original Medal of Honor scores. Jurassic World was serviceable but not magical. If this is supposed to be a gritty war movie, I'd rather hear Giacchino return to his sound for the original Call of Duty and Medal of Honor: Airborne than try to match Williams' tone.

12 minutes ago, aviazn said:

I don't know about that—Gordy Haab and Kyle Newmaster get much closer to Williams' vocabulary than Giacchino does—but I also would have picked Debney or McNeely over Giacchino.

Why? They produce mechanical facsimiles and last time i checked people wanted to hear more 'Rey's Theme's and polished programmatic cues and not just piles of loud orchestral music without all that. 

I kind of like 'Lair' but it's not something i consider more than a fun exercise in jolly pillaging that seriously lacks an emotional arc that a good dramatic composer should provide.

17 minutes ago, publicist said:

Why? They produce mechanical facsimiles and last time i checked people wanted to hear more 'Rey's Theme's and polished programmatic cues and not just piles of loud orchestral music without all that. 

Why do I think Haab and Newmaster do more accurate JW pastiche, or why would I have picked Debney/McNeeley over Giacchino?

I'm sure not holding my breath for Giacchino to produce the next Rey's Theme.

Either way. Neither of these gentlemen really has the dramatic chops to come up with a genre-defining cue - it all sounds like crafty impersonations without much personality. Even McNeely's more self-confident works like 'Iron Will' or 'Squanto' suffer from this problem - they never rise above that unlike Horner or JNH.

So my question is why do people always settle for that? Do we need more near-approximations of 'Battle over Coruscant' etc.?

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

How much music had Desplat written, and will we ever get to hear it?

How could you hear something that was never recorded?

21 minutes ago, publicist said:

So my question is why do people always settle for that? Do we need more near-approximations of 'Battle over Coruscant' etc.?

I consider myself resigned, not settled, haha. They're the only choices Disney is giving us! I mean, if I could hire anyone for Rogue One, I'd take Elliot Goldenthal. Barring that, I'm hoping Giacchino will bust out something loud and dissonant like his experiments in Call of Duty—a modern, gutty war movie score, and something tonally entirely different from JW's world. But given the reshoots and the reports that Disney are pushing the movie back towards a safe, classical Star Wars pallette, I'd be surprised if that were the case. And if we're stuck with JW pastiche, I'd rather take a Debney or McNeeley over Giacchino doing Williams a la Jurassic World again.

But I will be very happy to be surprised.

If I had to choose someone to replace desplat, I'd say :

- JNH because he's one of the few who still makes great themes even in blockbuster movies
- Joe Kramer because of his score for Rogue Nation

- I would be curious to here Mychael Danna as I love Life of Pi and The good dinosaur
- John powell because he's one of my favorite composer

Annnd if the film had this really sad tone, It would be interesting to here Dario Marianelli in V for vendetta mode. Even if I'm not sure about the actions pieces.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Actually, after playing some of Battlefront I've grown quite fond of Haab's original action/melodic material he incorporated into the wider Williams soundtrack. It's more seamless than it really ought to be. A pastiche, certainly, but there's thoughtfulness of its own in there. 

I'm not necessarily saying Gordy is ready for a Star Wars movie of his own, mind. But his contributions to the universe deserve to be defended.