BloodBoal

Either Giacchino or Zimmer. 

My criteria may be different than others' so I'll explain them. Technically, Williams generates by far the most controversy here, but I don't think there's anyone here who really just doesn't like Williams in general. They may not like everything he does but they'd probably still identify themselves as Williams fans. Whereas with Zimmer and Giacchino, there are actually people who say they don't like them overall. A lot more "complete shunning."

24 minutes ago, Jilal said:

Right. They're all credited and brought into public attention through the "Music by Hans Zimmer" credit.

On his commercial, collaborative scores he always credits his accomplices, even if it's in the small print on the back. 

From experience, the most controversial seem to be the following.

- Giacchino

- Zimmer

- Arnold

- Newman

1 hour ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Actually, no one does.

People have been ghostwriting for Zimmer for decades.

Even as far back as 1990 Shirley Walker wrote a score credited to Zimmer. That was due to a legal dilemma, but even today figuring out who wrote what in almost any given RCP score, Zimmer or not, is a Herculean task.

Just now, Sharkus Malarkus said:

On his commercial, collaborative scores he always credits his accomplices, even if it's in the small print on the back. 

(Which is exactly what I wrote, but I think "Right." has a bit of a sarcastic connotation in English?)

3 minutes ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

That and the "scare quotes."

Quotes are now scary? I must live in the Middle Ages?

Second attempt, then. 

1 hour ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Actually, no one does.

Indeed. All of his collaborators are credited and even brought into public attention (often leading to breakthroughs and the like) through the Music by Hans Zimmer credit.

1 hour ago, Skelly said:

People have been ghostwriting for Zimmer for decades.

Even as far back as 1990 Shirley Walker wrote a score credited to Zimmer. That was due to a legal dilemma, but even today figuring out who wrote what in almost any given RCP score, Zimmer or not, is a Herculean task.

No, it isn't.

11 minutes ago, Jilal said:

No, it isn't.

It can be sometimes. I remember a couple years ago Tom Holkenberg was reportedly brought on to Batman v. Superman to primarily help out with the Batman theme, since Zimmer was worried about repeating himself. Yet recently I've heard (rumors) that it was Zimmer himself who worked on the Batman theme for that film. So it can be hard to pin down just who did what without going to the composer himself and asking.

Zimmer's buddies at RCP may not be ghost-writers in the traditional sense but the group isn't always 100% transparent about who did what.

In the end it doesn't really matter though - it's a very detailed thing to care about.

Are bands or jazz groups usually that transparent?  Have you ever made music with a group of people?  It can be difficult to even account for what comes from where. 

I don't care what Paul wrote vs. what John or Ringo or George wrote, I don't care what David wrote vs. what Roger or Rick or Nick wrote, and I don't care what Hans wrote vs. what Lorne or Klaus or Harry or whoever wrote.

That said, a good set of ears will usually lead your judgement of such things well.

Anyway, there's an obvious answer to this poll, and it isn't included as an option.

Not many people can tread water on the dreaded "emotional" chords like that without being shit, but he can!

1 hour ago, Skelly said:

It can be sometimes. I remember a couple years ago Tom Holkenberg was reportedly brought on to Batman v. Superman to primarily help out with the Batman theme, since Zimmer was worried about repeating himself. Yet recently I've heard (rumors) that it was Zimmer himself who worked on the Batman theme for that film. So it can be hard to pin down just who did what without going to the composer himself and asking.

Zimmer's buddies at RCP may not be ghost-writers in the traditional sense but the group isn't always 100% transparent about who did what.

In the end it doesn't really matter though - it's a very detailed thing to care about.

Since when are rumors facts? I could say John Williams wrote some material for Superman in that score and that wouldn't make the credits confusing, because they're credits. They don't change based on what people say. 

I used the term "rumor" because it hasn't been officially confirmed. But someone close to RCP has said that Zimmer wrote the entirety of Batman's theme.

But I suppose it's a moot point.

3 hours ago, Skelly said:

I used the term "rumor" because it hasn't been officially confirmed. But someone close to RCP has said that Zimmer wrote the entirety of Batman's theme.

But I suppose it's a moot point.

Of course it is. Because it sucks either way.