valdezlopez

Hi!

I'm a newcomer to this website / forums, but a life-long John Williams fan.

I'm a writer from Monterrey, México. And just like everyone else in these forums, I grew up listening to Mr. Williams' work.

Last month I received a government grant to produce a short film (I'll direct, I'll leave the producer credit to braver people). It's a big deal for my team and myself, since it's a federal-funded grant which we won through a rigorous process. We already have a talented composer on our team, but:

To make a long story short: I'd like to contact Mr. Williams to see if he'd be interested in scoring (or composing a theme) for my short film.

I know it's a long shot, I know how busy he must be, and all the time-frame and legal hoops that stand in the way.

But just in case, just in case he'd be interested in scoring (or composing just a theme) for a professional, magical-realism short film to be produced in Mexico come January 2017...

...What would be the best way to contact him? To present my query to his manager or representative.

That is, besides the physical address already listed on this site (which I'm already writing to).

I'm open to all suggestions and help.

Thank you, everyone!

You need three things:

1) A lot of money (because you won't be paying Johnny alone - you'll need to pay for the orchestra, etc. as well)

2) A time-turner to supply to Mr. Williams, as I'm sure his schedule is already rather filled

3) A reality check

There are many other wonderful composers in the world other than Mr. Williams; I'm sure you'll find one who can provide a fine score to your film.

Skelly, thanks for your response.

1) Oh, we aren't planning on him conducting and recording. We'd just like to know if he'd like to compose the soundtrack or just a theme / piece.

2) Yup. His schedule must already be filled-out already, like I already assumed on my first post. We'll be shooting the short in January 2017, and we might have a first cut by May, 2017.

3) A reality check? Ow. That's a bit uncalled for, isn't it? We're all friends here. I'm just asking around to see if anyone can help.

Of course there are many other talented, wonderful composers. We all know that. That's stating the obvious. But even our main composer said "John Williams? Go for it!".

Just trying to get my project to Mr. Williams to see if he'd be interested in composing for our short film.

19 minutes ago, Skelly said:

You need three things:

1) A lot of money (because you won't be paying Johnny alone - you'll need to pay for the orchestra, etc. as well)

2) A time-turner to supply to Mr. Williams, as I'm sure his schedule is already rather filled

3) A reality check

There are many other wonderful composers in the world other than Mr. Williams; I'm sure you'll find one who can provide a fine score to your film.

WojinPA: 

Hahaha! True!

I'm excited about Michael Giacchino, though. Can't wait to hear what he'll compose and record in less than 3 months!

15 minutes ago, WojinPA said:

Valdezlopez, I wish you were the Rogue One folks making the request. 

Sorry if I came off as rude - I just don't think it's practical to spend time and resources trying to contact Williams when the chances of even receiving a real reply from his representation are slim to none.

I wish you good luck though!

Just now, Skelly said:

Sorry if I came off as rude - I just don't think it's practical to spend time and resources trying to contact Williams when the chances of even receiving a real reply from his representation are slim to none.

I wish you good luck though!

Thank you!

But I can't stop trying just because chances are slim. I wouldn't even have this great opportunity to direct a short film if I'd desisted from the start.

I already have a tacit "no".

I'd rather have the "real no" than wonder "what would have happened if I just tried to contact him or his people...?".

Let's see what happens!

(don't mean to break any rules; just posted this on another thread but thought more people could read it here too)

Hi!

I'm a writer from Monterrey, México. And just like everyone else in these forums, I grew up listening to Mr. Williams' work.

Last month I received a government grant to produce a short film (I'll direct, I'll leave the producer credit to braver people). It's a big deal for my team and myself, since it's a federal-funded grant which we won through a rigorous process.

To make a long story short: I'd like to contact Mr. Williams to see if he'd be interested in scoring (or composing a theme) for my short film.

I know it's a long shot, I know how busy he must be, and all the time-frame and legal hoops that stand in the way.

But just in case he'd be interested in scoring (or composing just a theme) for a professional, magical-realism short film to be produced in Mexico come January 2017...

...What would be the best way to contact him? To present my query to his manager or representative.

That is, besides the physical address already listed on this site (which I'm already writing to).

Thank you, everyone!

(don't mean to break any rules; just posted this on another thread but thought more people could read it here too)

Hi!

I'm a writer from Monterrey, México. And just like everyone else in these forums, I grew up listening to Mr. Williams' work.

Last month I received a government grant to produce a short film (I'll direct, I'll leave the producer credit to braver people). It's a big deal for my team and myself, since it's a federal-funded grant which we won through a rigorous process. We already have a talented composer on our team, but:

To make a long story short: I'd like to contact Mr. Williams to see if he'd be interested in scoring (or composing a theme) for my short film.

But just in case he'd be interested in scoring (or composing just a theme) for a professional, magical-realism short film to be produced in Mexico come January 2017...

Thank you, everyone!

Perhaps you should consider instead asking if anyone on these forums might be interested in scoring your film? We have quite a few talented composers on here who may (or may not) be willing to help satisfy your musical dilemma. That seems like a much more realistic approach, though I certainly admire your ambition. 

3 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Perhaps you should consider instead asking if anyone on these forums might be interested in scoring your film? We have quite a few talented composers on here who may (or may not) be willing to help satisfy your musical dilemma. That seems like a potentially more realistic approach, though I admire your ambition. 

Cerebral Cortex,

Hi!

Thank you for your suggestion. It makes me happy to hear anyone on these forums might be interested or open to the idea of collaborating on a short film.

But, to be honest, we already have a main composer whom we've worked with before on several occasions. When we told him about this crazy idea, he said "John Williams? Go for it!".

So I'm already blessed with having a talented, available composer on our team. But, here's to having the stars align!

Thanks!

Hi!

Last month I received a government grant to produce a short film (I'll direct, I'll leave the producer credit to braver people). It's a big deal for my team and myself, since it's a federal-funded grant which we won through a rigorous process. We already have a talented composer on our team, but:

Thank you, everyone!

Contacting Williams would be a multi-layered process that probably filters out 99% of the propositions before he even hears them. Contacting his agent Michael Gorfaine would be pretty much your only recourse, unless you know someone who knows someone etc.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

There are three possibilities:

1/ you write to him, through his agent (what have you got to lose?).

or

2/ you temp-track with JW music, and see if you can use that.

or

3/ you hire someone else (your film might not need a JW score).

Thanks, Richard.

Option 3 is already on stand-by. I really want to see if option 1 is successful!

Thanks!

Cerebral Cortex,

Hahahaha!

Yeah. Saw the video. Lucky kids! Although if I plant myself outside Mr. Williams house, the creepy factor might not work in my favor.

1 hour ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

From what I can gather, the best way of getting in touch with Williams currently is by going and playing the Star Wars theme outside his house. Might be worth a shot. 

Psycho Pianist,

Thanks! Yup. I imagine so (the filtering out of propositions).

Thanks for the info. Didn't know his agents' full name. Right now, that's my one option to contact him.

Let's see how that goes.

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, The Psycho Pianist said:

Contacting Williams would be a multi-layered process that probably filters out 99% of the propositions before he even hears them. Contacting his agent Michael Gorfaine would be pretty much your only recourse, unless you know someone who knows someone etc.

@valdezlopez 

Look at it this way: It can't hurt to try to contact JW. If you do there's a very, very, very slight chance he'll agree to score your film; if you don't there's a 0% chance.

I'm rooting for you. :) 

Just don't get your hopes up too high. 

Let's not forget JW has gotten several dozen requests like this every day for the past few decades.  Valdez Lopez, learn how to work with your talented composer to get what you want.  You MIGHT get a response from his agent when they know about you from the quality of the work they've already seen.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

John Williams is scoring a short film based on Kobe Bryant's athletic career. Anything is possible. I wish you the best in your endeavor!

Still wondering when we're gonna get to hear that thing.

I've tried to Call him a few times for you, and every time I get a Whatsapp with his middle finger.

That's a wierd finger to say OK, don't you think?

But I think you're all set.

That first announcement from ESPN only said the film was scheduled to be posted online in the fall and now it's fall. So I dunno, it could be anytime now, or it could be moved. I haven't seen anything one way or the other, other than he apparently hadn't written it yet when he was interviewed for the AFI in June, if that's what Jay's referring to. But that was three months ago.

24 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

That first announcement from ESPN only said the film was scheduled to be posted online in the fall and now it's fall. So I dunno, it could be anytime now, or it could be moved. I haven't seen anything one way or the other, other than he apparently hadn't written it yet when he was interviewed for the AFI in June, if that's what Jay's referring to. But that was three months ago.

The short is about basketball. It stands to reason that it will premiere near or at the beginning of the nba season, which is late October (and fall). 

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

That first announcement from ESPN

Sports Illustrated. ;)

The lack of publicity about this short film has been startling. I am almost wondering whether it's been cancelled or delayed. :(

4 hours ago, Will said:

Sports Illustrated. ;)

Okay, well, ESPN probably announced it too! :P

5 hours ago, Tom said:

The short is about basketball. It stands to reason that it will premiere near or at the beginning of the nba season, which is late October (and fall). 

Yeah, that definitely makes sense to start looking for it around then, if a date hasn't been formally announced.

I doubt it's been cancelled, I can't imagine why a little ~3 minute cartoon would be and it's not the kind of thing that would need heavy promotion if they're just throwing it on SI's website.

Valdez, I'm as big a fan of JW as you are. I genuinely hate to trample your ambition (because I truly admire it), but it sounds to me that your motives need some scrutiny.

I also would LOVE to have JW score one of my films, but I would only ever pursue him if I knew that I could enjoy his artistry and services with FULL collaboration, say compared to what Steven Spielberg enjoys.

You claim that you're willing to accept so much as just a simple theme; which is fair enough under the circumstances, but, there's no guarantee that you personally would like what he originally offers, or that it would be ultimately the best thing for your film.

It seems to me that you're simply trying to use the opportunity of your government funded film to somehow get involved with John Williams, just to use his name on the film, even if it comes to the artistic or financial detriment to your film.

I wish you ever success, and will be equally delighted for you if you do happen to succeed with your pursuit. But be very cautious. Do what is best for your film.

I have to echo what others have said, valdez. There's ambitious and then there's naïve, and I think you're maybe fluctuating towards the latter here. 

It's great that youv'e been able to make your own short film (I don't know how financing is in Mexico), but instead of looking for the greatest film composer of all time to do your score, you should continue nurturing the relationship you have to the composer you know personally. Or other composers hungry for the experience, who wouldn't eat up your entire budget. Just a friendly advice. It would also eat up too much of your time and energy pursuing this goal, which is -- to be frank -- absolutely impossible.

On 17 de septiembre de 2016 at 8:22 PM, Koray Savas said:

John Williams is scoring a short film based on Kobe Bryant's athletic career. Anything is possible. I wish you the best in your endeavor!

Thanks for your best wishes!

On 19 de septiembre de 2016 at 2:09 AM, Thor said:

I have to echo what others have said, valdez. There's ambitious and then there's naïve, and I think you're maybe fluctuating towards the latter here. 

It's great that youv'e been able to make your own short film (I don't know how financing is in Mexico), but instead of looking for the greatest film composer of all time to do your score, you should continue nurturing the relationship you have to the composer you know personally. Or other composers hungry for the experience, who wouldn't eat up your entire budget. Just a friendly advice. It would also eat up too much of your time and energy pursuing this goal, which is -- to be frank -- absolutely impossible.

Thanks for your encouraging words!

On 19 de septiembre de 2016 at 1:10 AM, zoltan_902 said:

Valdez, I'm as big a fan of JW as you are. I genuinely hate to trample your ambition (because I truly admire it), but it sounds to me that your motives need some scrutiny.

I also would LOVE to have JW score one of my films, but I would only ever pursue him if I knew that I could enjoy his artistry and services with FULL collaboration, say compared to what Steven Spielberg enjoys.

You claim that you're willing to accept so much as just a simple theme; which is fair enough under the circumstances, but, there's no guarantee that you personally would like what he originally offers, or that it would be ultimately the best thing for your film.

It seems to me that you're simply trying to use the opportunity of your government funded film to somehow get involved with John Williams, just to use his name on the film, even if it comes to the artistic or financial detriment to your film.

I wish you ever success, and will be equally delighted for you if you do happen to succeed with your pursuit. But be very cautious. Do what is best for your film.

Thanks! You know, your words are spot on. You're right.

Except!

For the part that you say I'm "simply trying to use the opportunity of my government funded film to somehow get involved with John Williams":

a) Dude: one thing has nothing to do with the other. The budget for our short film is probably just a fraction of what JW usually receives per film score.

b) If I had less money, or more money, I'd still be reaching out to him.

c) The process would be sending him a final cut of the film, so he could consider writing something for it.

d) And, I'm not planning on "using his name on the film". I know what you mean. Using his name as bait. No. But if I were lucky enough, I'm planning on using his musical composition on my short film. My film needs a score. I've heard JW scores all my life. He seems like THE right fit for my production. Now it's a matter of seeing if he'd deem it worthy to work on.

e) As for me not liking what he'd compose. Sure. That's a possibility. That his composition might not fit the film aesthetic. You're right. It could happen. But, come on...

To be honest, I'm a little disheartened to the answers and replies I've gotten through these forums.

There's been a few words of encouragement.

But I've also been told to "get a reality check", I've been told that "i'm naive", "that JW gets similar propositions on a daily basis".

Of course I already know that.

Making movies gives you a daily reality check.

And yes, I may be naive for dreaming about getting JW interested in scoring my short film.

But I'd like to think I'm hopeful too.

I've been told "to get a time turner because he's really busy" (seriously), and now, "that my motives need some scrutiny" and "that I'm simply trying to use my film as a means to get in touch with him".

Yikes.

I've sweated my fair share to get that thing (the short film) on track.

I just want to make a little movie.

And if that is occasion enough to dream a little bigger, then why so many people talking me down?

I thought these forums would be more supportive.

We're all here for the same reason. We like JW's music.

@valdezlopez Oh, pay them no mind. Sure, they make some valid points.

But this idea is so absolutely, incredibly bonkers, so ridiculous ... that I can't help but feel excited. :) It's an adventure. It may fail but what the hell. Go for it. 

In The Force Awakens, a movie you may have seen, an incredulous Rey asks Han whether it's even possible fly out of the freighter hanger at lightspeed. And he replies, "I never say that until after I've done it."

Often the craziest ideas end with bad results. But every once in a while that kid who sneaks onto the studio lot becomes the world's greatest director (I'm talking about Steven Spielberg). 

By the way, may I ask what your short film is about? Or is that still confidential? 

I thought these forums would be more supportive.

We're all here for the same reason. We like JW's music.

Yes. There are disagreements of course but it's quite incredible how people from all over the world from all walks of life can bond over something like this.

There does tend to be a good deal of cynicism around here though (as I'm sure you've noticed ;))...

It takes a while to get used to. At first it can really sting. 

On 9/18/2016 at 6:44 PM, mrbellamy said:

Okay, well, ESPN probably announced it too! :P

Yeah, that definitely makes sense to start looking for it around then, if a date hasn't been formally announced.

I doubt it's been cancelled, I can't imagine why a little ~3 minute cartoon would be and it's not the kind of thing that would need heavy promotion if they're just throwing it on SI's website.

Well, yeah. But I would think he'd mention working on it on his Twitter or something... 

Speaking of Kobe and music...

11 hours ago, Marcus said:

-it could be scored for small forces (solo or chamber); ideally, try to get a prominent younger Mexican musician (or ensemble) involved

Ah, yes, that would be unique and interesting "flavor" that JW might find intriguing to play with. Has he written much in that style? I mean I guess there's cantina band which is sort of that style and probably some other stuff I'm totally forgetting...

1 hour ago, Will said:

Ah, yes, that would be unique and interesting "flavor" that JW might find intriguing to play with. Has he written much in that style? I mean I guess there's cantina band which is sort of that style and probably some other stuff I'm totally forgetting...

I mean, he arranged a lot back before he was really known as a film composer. I guess you don't forget those days, even at his age!

Do you realize that even reputed oscar winning directors can't get John Williams to score their films. 

You think for your debut short film, you will get an original John Williams score? 

While at it, perhaps ask Emmanuel Lubezki to shoot it? 

On September 22, 2016 at 9:31 AM, Marcus said:

Speaking as a professional composer with a fairly busy career, I'd like to offer the following words of encouragement:

I've taken on projects with little or no funding simply out of sympathy or interest. Even when it has clashed with my main schedule.

The truth is, if someone truly feels my music is the ideal voice for a project, and if the project arouses my curiosity and enthusiasm, and the work required seems fun and not too time consuming, well,  it's tempting to say yes. Writing music is a way of life, and not just a way to make a living. Its purpose is to share and be shared. 

If you're able to get through to John Williams, I think there's a very real chance he'd actually consider it. 

A few ways to make the project more attractive to him might be to make sure 

-the musical requirements are kept minimal in terms of durata (max 3 minutes) 

-there's  no deadline

-it could be scored for small forces (solo or chamber); ideally, try to get a prominent younger Mexican musician (or ensemble) involved

-if there's any profit, give it to some kind of charity, preferably musical

At this stage in his career, Williams seems to mostly focus on concert pieces, often for friends, and other work based on long-standing loyal relations (Spielberg, Star Wars, Tanglewood, various orchestras). 

He has stated numerous times that he writes every day, even when he's "off schedule", and your best bet would be to reach him, and have him think "well, I suppose this could be my challenge for an afternoon or two". 

Best of luck! 

Marcus

Cheers for this practical and encouraging contribution.  Many others seem only to have empty snark to offer.