Alexandre Desplat's Valerian and The City of a Thousand Planets

antovolk

7 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

That room has great acoustics.  Finally, a Desplat score recorded with a classical aesthetic?  And what looks to be a richly orchestrated one at that.  Not bad!

This will be the score Rogue One should have been!

11 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

People complained about the LSO not being involved with TFA because this orchestra was a big part of the musical saga.

Yep, but given Desplat's habit of using the LSO whenever possible… ;) 

Plus we're talking about a sci-fi space opera really close to star wars.. And in a number of minds, a certain style of sound is attached to this genre.

Anyway, I'm pleasantly surprised :)

49 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Plus Desplat can make any orchestra sound awesome anyway, something Williams struggles to do.

Agreed. Frankly Williams needs the LSO to actually make his music seem like it's any good. Desplat could get another Oscar just by recording a fart in a bath tub!

Is it?  I certainly don't think so.  Star Wars seems far more prone to sci-fi aesthetic cliches.

Anyway, the chick in this movie (Enchantress, right?) - damn! - I think we know who the sexiest young pouty celebrity is these days.

13 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I prefer Star Trek. Far more intellectually interesting!

11 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

But far less aesthetically pleasing!

Of course it is! Why? Star Trek isn't composed by John Williams! Is Williams' score less intellectually interesting than all the efforts made by the composers of Star Trek? Well, I think it isn't trying to appeal to our intellect but rather to our emotions. 

Star Wars leads to the world of classical music.

Star Trek only leads to:

nedry2.jpg

Alex

Once maybe. But Star Wars is being scored by Giacchino now, and who's next? Will Brian Tyler get his turn? Tyler Bates? John Debney?

The musical excellence of Star Wars will not last long. 2019 will be the last time!

11 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Of course it is! Why? Star Trek isn't composed by John Williams! Is Williams' score less intellectually interesting than all the efforts made by the composers of Star Trek? Well, I think it isn't trying to appeal to our intellect but rather to our emotions. 

Star Wars leads to the world of classical music.

Star Trek only leads to:

nedry2.jpg

Alex

You don't strike me as the type to resort to dilettante, pseudo-cultured arguments like "Star Wars = classical music, therefore it is the best" and yet here it is!  Wow!

Do you also reckon that The Godfather, Schindler's List, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and Alexander Nevsky are the only respectable choices for greatest score rankings?

Imagine what Alex once wanted us to think he is, and what we now know him to be!

• 2 weeks later...

Probably inescapable that a movie like this would have a pop song at the end.

As far as the score is concerned, I can certainly dig on Ravel influences, especially something like Daphnis et Chloe.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's sci-fi, so isn't it supposed to be my kinda movie?

Was Battlefield Earth your kinda movie? Or Plan 9 From Outer Space?

Yes, I picked bad examples. I'm a stinker. :mrgreen:

Looks fun enough. Still can't get past the twin casting, but if it's more like Fifth Element than Jupiter Ascending, then great. It needs heavy sarcasm and wit to succeed though (quality speaking) because we all know it will bomb at the box office even with a 100% RT score, because all the teens will think it's a ripoff of Guardians of the Galaxy.

Wow, this film looks pretty amazing visually - while still looking like sci-fi! Almost like modern Star Trek and the SW prequels on crazy drugs. I'm not familiar with the story at all but with those visuals plus the score I might well want to see it this summer. 

It is disappointing to see that article above (yes, I know it's old) where Desplat says it's not as Wagnerian as, and is much lighter than, Star Wars

I'm really excited for this score because I want to hear what language Desplat would have used/was using on Rogue One. I'm sure we'll still get some of it, of course, but the more different the films are, presumably, the more different the music will be. I mean, I doubt he was using a Debussy/Ravel language on RO, let's put it that way. 

2 hours ago, Will said:

I want to hear what language Desplat would have used/was using on Rogue One. I'm sure we'll still get some of it, of course, but the more different the films are, presumably, the more different the music will be. I mean, I doubt he was using a Debussy/Ravel language on RO, let's put it that way. 

I'm ashamed to admit that I am not as familiar with Desplat's work as I would like to be. What works of his emulate the orchestration and instrumentation of Debussy and Ravel?