Favorite scary/dark John Williams moment in piece?

RICHARDSTRAUSS68

28 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

I've always really liked 1:14 - 1:49 from Confrontation With Count Dooku And Finale.

You may also find this thread of interest: 

Also, welcome to the forums! :)

Thanks! I'll check it out!

Yes, I'm sure there have been several threads about this in the past. "Scary/dark" is also a rather loose term that can mean different things.

But as far as Williams is concerned, I'd mention...

"Barry's Abduction" from CE3K

"Killing Marcel" from IMAGES

"The Raptor Attack" from JURASSIC PARK

"The Shooting of Wilson" and portions of "Cua Viet River, Vietnam, 1968" from BOT4OJ

"Vision on the Stairs" from THE FURY

"Apparition on the Train" from HARRY POTTER 3

"The Temple of Doom" from INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM

"Spyders" from MINORITY REPORT

Anything from WAR OF THE WORLDS

Anything from NIXON

"The Attack at Olympic Village" from MUNICH

Loads more.

I want to give a special shout-out to SLEEPERS, perhaps the darkest and most adult/contemporary Williams has ever been, especially the music for the sexual and physical abuses of the children. The transition scene between the past and the present is fantastic. I think it's called "Last Night at Wilkinson" on the soundtrack.

3 hours ago, Bofur01 said:

'Anakin's Dark Deeds' is one of my favourites:

I consider that one more "tragic" than scary/dark. But I guess that depends your own personal definition of those words.

Williams' best score has already been mentioned - whether or not I agree that it has moments of genuinely scary nature, I'm not sure of.  It certainly goes to dark places.

Anyway, this is outright disturbing, about as tense and unbearable as music can get.  One of countless moments where Williams adds dimension to what's happening that simply isn't there otherwise (and maybe couldn't be, lest anyone think I'm doing lazy SW bashing).

There's the obvious terror of treading water with Jaws in your headphones. But the real fear comes from listening to Across the Stars whilst looking at sand. Truly terrifying. I'd much rather stand alone in a field of crops and listen to Signs.

I consider AOTC a pretty dark score (although I've only listened to the whole thing once, and even that I hadn't done until this summer). ROTS is more "tragic" IMO. 

AOTC's dark music was mostly boring for me except for the dark, turmoil filled music for Anakin's search and burial of his mom. But the mystery motif that plays throughout Obiwan's scenes is super boring. The creepy Geonosis stuff is actually really fun. Some nice textures and percussion.