John Williams is conducting the National Anthem tonight...

Jay

The arrangement is something I'd like to hear in concert form, or at least performed/recorded in a studio; in the open setting those lovely dissonant? parts sound odd.

Sweeeeeeeeeet, this is one of my favorites! Been waiting for it to be performed again, this was debuted at the 2007 World Series in Boston (can't remember the exact game) if I'm hearing it right.

Looks like the MLB flagged it for U.S. people, was anyone able to snag it before it was removed? Selfish request: If so, could you PM it to me please? If not, totally cool, MLB will likely post it to their YouTube Channel at some point.

36 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Also, random seeing Kevin Costner! Has Williams ever composed music for a Costner film? To think how close we came with Indy 3!

How could you forget JFK?

And what does Costner have to do with Indy 3? I don't know this story. 

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Do Aussies have their Anthem performed that often? Do you even have one?

We do indeed, and it features proudly and prominently in most major (and not even) sporting events. Don't know what the others are on about. Perhaps just sarcasm.

52 minutes ago, Jay said:

How could you forget JFK?

And what does Costner have to do with Indy 3? I don't know this story. 

How embarrassing, completely forgot Costner was in JFK! I assume Harrison Ford remains the actor Williams has scored the most films for? 4 Indiana Jones films (soon to be 5), 4 Star Wars films, Presumed Innocent, Sabrina and E.T. (kind of...)

And the long-running rumour was that several purported ideas for Indy 4 involved a brother, who would be played by Kevin Costner. Probably just tabloid rubbish, but we know that film spent nearly two decades in development hell with Lucas' stupid ideas.

JW is somewhat more gaunt than just a few years ago. I suspect his pacemaker surgery would have exacerbated any natural geriatric shrinking.

And he certainly can't seem to let go of those turtle-necks. Maybe he's trying to hide his neck? Looks like the bow-tie is now reserved exclusively for receiving lifetime-achievement awards; certainly didn't see one at Hollywood Bowl.

But bottom line, whatever shape or form (no-less, the particularly well-seeming on seen here) he's in, it's fantastic that he's still engaging actively in such events. I might even get to see him live again one day.

4 minutes ago, crumbs said:

And the long-running rumour was that several purported ideas for Indy 4 involved a brother, who would be played by Kevin Costner.

There was actually an Indy comic where a fat con-man tried to pass himself as Indiana's brother, New Jersey Jones. I'm not making that up, that's actually what he called himself!

3 minutes ago, Skelly said:

There was actually an Indy comic where a fat con-man tried to pass himself as Indiana's brother, New Jersey Jones. I'm not making that up, that's actually what he called himself!

Screenplay by George Lucas

Story by George Lucas

2 hours ago, zoltan_902 said:

JW is somewhat more gaunt than just a few years ago. I suspect his pacemaker surgery would have exacerbated any natural geriatric shrinking.

Yes, you notice it when he's in the white concert suit. When he's in a turtleneck he looks super youthful but when he's in the suit he usually doesn't look quite as good, to be honest. While actually I didn't really notice it last night but at Tanglewood and the Hollywood Bowl I did. 

4 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

JFK, and Amazing Stories ("The Mission") if you count that.

That one's not available here either!

That same video is available at this link!

http://m.mlb.com/lad/video/topic/8911656/v1184074583/collad-williams-conducts-national-anthem-in-la

5 hours ago, Chewie33 said:

Sweeeeeeeeeet, this is one of my favorites! Been waiting for it to be performed again, this was debuted at the 2007 World Series in Boston (can't remember the exact game) if I'm hearing it right.

Looks like the MLB flagged it for U.S. people, was anyone able to snag it before it was removed? Selfish request: If so, could you PM it to me please? If not, totally cool, MLB will likely post it to their YouTube Channel at some point.

Here's a US link: http://m.mlb.com/lad/video/topic/8911656/v1184074583/collad-williams-conducts-national-anthem-in-la

And also, yes, I thought last night that it was a new arrangement (incorporating some elements from the Boston one) but now I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same (but in way better quality!) Here's the Boston one:

I love that little joyous fanfare at the very end! The dissonance is cool too.

14 hours ago, Will said:

Anyone know what the "epic" music was that was playing throughout most of the ceremony (and the red -- blue -- carpet at the end)? Sounded a little too "epic," if you know what I mean, to be JW. 

Bumping this. You can hear it in the last few seconds of this video:

http://m.dodgers.mlb.com/lad/video/topic/6479266/v1184499383/collad-dodgers-honor-vin-scully-in-pregame-ceremony

I'm assuming it's some piece of film music. @Jay?

34 minutes ago, Richard said:

Is this the same arrangement that he conducted on 7/4/2014, at DC?

No. That arrangement was for full orchestra and I much prefer it (not to say that the Boston World Series/LA Scully one is bad; it's just that the DC one is so good!). It has a little more "expansion" versus just re-arranging the original (for example, there's a marvelous JW opening fanfare). And the reprise of the "and the rockets' red glare" section is Williams going all out "epic."

Also...

14 minutes ago, king mark said:

I can't view any of the videos

So you've tried all these links?

http://m.mlb.com/lad/video/topic/8911656/v1184074583/collad-williams-conducts-national-anthem-in-la

What about this fan video I just found:

It's actually in surprisingly good quality.

By the way, I found a bunch more JW photos here:

http://dodgersphotog.mlblogs.com/2016/09/24/92316-something-vin-vin-scully-thanksgiving-by-jon-soohoo-jill-weisleder-armando-arorizo-and-patrick-gee/ (you can find higher resolution versions there if you want)

John Williams, Sandy and Vin Scully pose prior to Vin Scully Ceremony Friday, September 23, 2016 at Dodger Stadium. Photo by Jon SooHoo/©Los Angeles Dodgers,LLC 2016Vin Scully Ceremony prior to Los Angeles Dodgers game against the Colorado Rockies Friday, September 23, 2016 at Dodger Stadium. Photo by Jon SooHoo/©Los Angeles Dodgers,LLC 2016Vin Scully Ceremony prior to Los Angeles Dodgers game against the Colorado Rockies Friday, September 23, 2016 at Dodger Stadium. Photo by Jon SooHoo/©Los Angeles Dodgers,LLC 2016Vin Scully Ceremony prior to Los Angeles Dodgers game against the Colorado Rockies Friday, September 23, 2016 at Dodger Stadium. Photo by Jon SooHoo/©Los Angeles Dodgers,LLC 2016John Williams and the LA Philharmonic lead the national anthem during the Vin Scully Ceremony Friday, September 23, 2016 at Dodger Stadium. Photo by Jon SooHoo/©Los Angeles Dodgers,LLC 2016Composer John Williams and Mayor Garcetti take the walk through the team during the Vin Scully Ceremony Friday, September 23, 2016 at Dodger Stadium. Photo by Jon SooHoo/©Los Angeles Dodgers,LLC 2016Vin Scully Ceremony prior to Los Angeles Dodgers game against the Colorado Rockies Friday, September 23, 2016 at Dodger Stadium. Photo by Jon SooHoo/©Los Angeles Dodgers,LLC 2016092316pg0521609_09-vin0231092316pg055

The one where you can see the whole orchestra (well, whole "part of the orchestra that this was scored for") and the one with the thumps up are my favorite. 

I liked seeing JW, Scully, and everyone else walking down the blue carpet last night to stirring music. The thumps up was great; I was hoping someone had taken a picture. :)

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

How embarrassing, completely forgot Costner was in JFK! I assume Harrison Ford remains the actor Williams has scored the most films for? 4 Indiana Jones films (soon to be 5), 4 Star Wars films, Presumed Innocent, Sabrina and E.T. (kind of...)

Yes.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

And the long-running rumour was that several purported ideas for Indy 4 involved a brother, who would be played by Kevin Costner. Probably just tabloid rubbish, but we know that film spent nearly two decades in development hell with Lucas' stupid ideas.

Ah,  so it was Indy 4, not Indy 3. That makes a lot more sense. 

I'm starting a short unit about the various instruments at school right now and for some reason I had an urge to write down what instruments are in last night's arrangement. I'll be doing this based on sight since my ear is not well trained. :) I am not assuming that I'm providing any particularly useful information; I'm sure many others here could do it (many based largely on the sound alone!). 

19 players total:

Brass

7 trumpets

4 French horns

3 trombones

1 tuba

Percussion

2 snare drums

1 gran cassa (bass drum)

1 (pair of) cymbals 

Sound right?

Interestingly, the Boston World Series performance that I thought was the same arrangement must not have been, since it was scored for 32 players, much larger than the group that played in LA.

So I guess the Scully one was a brand new arrangement, if heavily based on the World Series one and superficially exactly the same. 

3 hours ago, king mark said:

the last one works,thanks

I don't like it as much as some of his previous arrangements

Which are the "better arrangements" you're referring to? The 4th of July one I posted above? The following 2004 Rose Bowl one? Something else?

My favorite I've heard is the 2014 DC 4th of July one. 

Parts of that sounded flat to my ears but overall the arrangement was a bit flourished without being gawdy as MANY US Anthem performers do ot try and make their performance some special event rather than just paying respect to the nation they are performing (or rushing through the one they have to perform because they just don't care).

56 minutes ago, king mark said:

this arrangement I like the best:

That one was written for and conducted by Williams at the 2004 Rose Bowl.

On 9/25/2016 at 1:04 AM, Will said:

And also, yes, I thought last night that it was a new arrangement (incorporating some elements from the Boston one) but now I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same (but in way better quality!) Here's the Boston one:

Seems to me those dissonances in the new Dodgers version are less pronounced than in the Fenway version. They also actually resolve clearly (that B natural to C), while the Fenway version lets them hang. It's a little tweak, but I remember there were a few articles in the mainstream press back in 2007 that said those chords "sounded weird" or whatever, and IIRC even questioned whether Williams was being politically subversive. I doubt JW would ever temper his views to avoid being seen as unpatriotic, but I do wonder if he tweaked it to just be a little more…pleasing…to the ears of the…masses.

Tempo's also slower at Dodgers Stadium, but that's par for the course for JW these days.

1 minute ago, aviazn said:

Seems to me those dissonances in the new Dodgers version are less pronounced than in the Fenway version. They also actually resolve clearly (that B natural to C), while the Fenway version lets them hang. It's a little tweak, but I remember there were a few articles in the mainstream press back in 2007 that said those chords "sounded weird" or whatever, and IIRC even questioned whether Williams being politically subversive. I doubt JW would ever temper his views to avoid being seen as unpatriotic, but I do wonder if he tweaked it to just be a little more…pleasing…to the ears of the…masses.

Huh. Interesting.