The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III CD & DVD (And Ultimate Collection CD / VINYL box set)

The Psycho Pianist

Williams obviously read my thread and got right on the phone to book some recording dates!

I'm taking credit for this. Too bad Spielberg had to horn in and make it all about him. ;)

29 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

"The Jungle Chase" (expanded concert version :P

This would be so great, a Jungle Chase that actually includes the Mutt material.

I don't know why my expectations are so low that I don't think there will be any new concert arrangements for this.  At least I'll be pleasantly surprised when it's anything above the bare minimum!

I guess the photo from the sessions showing a children's choir means Dry Your Tears, Afrika is on the CD.

I've always hoped for a version of Monica's Theme from AI scored for cello and orchestra. We get a few bars of the theme on cello on the soundtrack, and it's sublime^. 

Amazing Williams is doing this with so many surrounding projects. Busy man!

52 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Now that I think about it, Williams said in an interview with Jon Burlingame a few months ago that he was writing a piece for one of his "favourite European artists". It might be very well he was referring to Grubinger.

Guess you missed that I said almost exactly the same thing a few posts up :lol: Simpatico, you and I.

He really does seem the likeliest candidate now for what they were talking about (and it would be awesome!)

6 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

February around Williams' Birthday? 

Oh. Yeah, I just looked at when recent JW compilation albums released and it does seem late February is most likely based on those dates. Another possibility is next fall to coincide with Mortara's release (presumably the next Spielberg/Williams collaboration). And who knows, maybe they will get it out by Christmas. I can hope. It would be a nice present! 

5 hours ago, pete said:

I guess the photo from the sessions showing a children's choir means Dry Your Tears, Afrika is on the CD.

Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw it. 

Really cool that JW himself seems to be conducting. 

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Also remember that in this Variety article, Jon Burlingame revealed that Williams was thinking about composing a concert work in the summer for "one of his favorite European artists" so it's very possible that he was talking about Grubinger there.

Since that article that I've thought about a Grubinger/Williams partnership as a likely thing to happen.

OK, new grail for this project: a standalone concert arrangement of the love theme from The Terminal.  That's such a beautiful melody, and at the end of its most sumptuous reading on the OST (in "Destiny...Canelloni..." etc.) the "Viktor Navorski" melody squirts in like a wet fart.  Don't get me wrong—I love the main theme to that movie—but it would be sublime to hear that love theme soar on its own.

My main hope would be that there will be no or at least very few straight recordings of OST tracks.

And also none of "the usual suspects". Great as they are, they've been done to death and can be found on enough CDs as it is.

At the very least, this should include some concert suites that were never officially released on CDs but have already been heard in concerts.

Better yet would be if there is new content that we haven't heard yet at all!

Is there official confirmation that it is Spielberg collaborations only?

If not, some Harry Potter goodness would be welcome.

I would not count on new arrangements.  But, think of this positively: we will be getting (most likely) definitive Williams-conducted versions of key pieces, such as the CMIYC Suite, War Horse, People's House, etc.  

39 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

My main hope would be that there will be no or at least very few straight recordings of OST tracks.

And also none of "the usual suspects". Great as they are, they've been done to death and can be found on enough CDs as it is.

At the very least, this should include some concert suites that were never officially released on CDs but have already been heard in concerts.

Better yet would be if there is new content that we haven't heard yet at all!

Is there official confirmation that it is Spielberg collaborations only?

If not, some Harry Potter goodness would be welcome.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this could be the case. Han and Leia's theme Williams-conducted concert version please!

15 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

@Will Have no idea how expensive it would be for you to attend the CSO concert featuring Escapades. But if I did live nearby, I'm sure I wouldn't miss. This one ranks among my favorite Williams works, and to have Marsalis performing it just in front of me, along with one of the finest orchestras, would be awesome. I would certainly prefer it to a live to film projection, a concept I really don't care about.

Huh. Apparently I could get in the gallery for $40. Less than I thought. Main floor three rows back in center is $66. Most other places are definitely too pricey to just see one JW selection when he's not even the one conducting. I don't know. I tend to be very stingy and very carefully consider the value of something. 

I adore Joy Ride but I'm not sure if I like the other movements enough... I'm listening again now. 

11 hours ago, Will said:

Huh. Apparently I could get in the gallery for $40. Less than I thought. Main floor three rows back in center is $66. Most other places are definitely too pricey to just see one JW selection when he's not even the one conducting. I don't know. I tend to be very stingy and very carefully consider the value of something. 

I adore Joy Ride but I'm not sure if I like the other movements enough... I'm listening again now. 

I do understand your point. don't get me wrong. I too tend to be careful with my money spending :)

But when it comes to hear any Williams performed live, I'll try to do anything to be there -- but then again, around here, having his music played live is not as a regular thing as over there.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Really hope this contains the Marion's Theme concert arrangement from 2008! And the Irina's Theme one too! And Stargazers! 

BTW, there are some older suggestions here

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19035-the-spielbergwilliams-collaboration-part-3/

Gosh Jay, I noticed in that thread you link to you say, "

And of course - something from Tintin, the possible final Spielberg/Wiliams collaboration smile.gif"

Were times once really that dark?

3 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I do understand your point. don't get me wrong. I too tend to be careful with my money spending :)

But when it comes to hear any Williams performed live, I'll try to do anything to be there -- but then again, around here, having his music played live is not as a regular thing as over there.

There's actually a pretty good chance that the concert will be included in the reduced-price-for-students series. I believe high school students like myself would be included so I'll wait and see. If so I can get in for just $15, in which case there's no way I'm NOT going. 

I dunno about "dark" but at the time we had no idea if JW was going to keep scoring or retire, or even if Spielberg would retire, etc.  Obviously it wasn't too long after that that War Horse was announced, then Lincoln, then Book Thief, then Star Wars, then Bridge of Spies, etc etc

Now he's working on more projects / has more in his immediate future than he has in a long time.  It's great!

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I dunno about "dark" but at the time we had no idea if JW was going to keep scoring or retire, or even if Spielberg would retire, etc.  Obviously it wasn't too long after that that War Horse was announced, then Lincoln, then Book Thief, then Star Wars, then Bridge of Spies, etc etc

Now he's working on more projects / has more in his immediate future than he has in a long time.  It's great!

Yeah, it's a great time to be a new JW fan. If I'd become a fan back in the late 2000s I'm not sure my fandom would have survived the general lack of new projects.

19 minutes ago, dfenton85 said:

What's the difference between Irina's Theme concert version mentioned here and the OST track called 'Irina's Theme'?

Is there a recording or video of it somewhere?

2 hours ago, dfenton85 said:

What's the difference between Irina's Theme concert version mentioned here and the OST track called 'Irina's Theme'?

Is there a recording or video of it somewhere?

The track called "Irina's Theme" on the OST isn't a concert arrangement at all, it's simply portions of three different film cues (End Credits, Irina Spalko, and Russians Reappear) edited together. 

He later wrote an actual concert arrangement of her theme that is really great!

Yes it is a gorgeous love letter to the film noir genre and especially the music of femme fatales which is why the concert version has often been performed  by Williams accompanying a video montage of the "sirens of the silve screen" as they like to call it. It can be seen in KingPin's post above.

This is obviously a superb album (with spectacular cover art):

61Qz6tkteyL.jpg

...but I have an even closer connection to this:

500x500.jpg

I remember picking it up from a cut-out bin/sale in a Norwegian store in the mid 90s, and only for, like, $2. It's many things -- probably my greatest soundtrack bargain, the greatest Williams compilation of all time and one of my favourite soundtrack albums/compilations of all time!

I particularly love the many selections from HOOK -- in some cases surpassing the original soundtrack recordings. Maybe this new compilation will also be heavier on certain titles of more recent memory like that was.

But are these really the only two Williams/Spielberg compilations? I'm not quite up-to-date on that, so it seems weird to me that no other label has tried something similar. There are so many Williams compilations out there, after all.

@Thor Please stop talking about "compilations", these two albums are not.

I think, my website contains pretty much all the JW compilations that came out over the years, one contains the world Spielberg (Boston Pops: From Sousa to Spielberg), but no one seems only dedicated to Spielberg movies.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

@ThorPlease stop talking about "compilations", these two albums are not.

So what would those "technically" be then?

Original album, as they features all new recordings.

This forum is visited by new fans or people that are not always used to JW' discography. Can we please name the things correctly?

Ha, ha....your weirdo categorizations and definitions continue to crack me up, Bespin.

These are most definitely compilations. Whether they are rerecorded or not, is irrelevant. But if you want to make such a strict delineation between compilations that include original soundtrack recordings and re-recordings, be my guest. I don't, and never will.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ha, ha....your weirdo categorizations and definitions continue to crack me up, Bespin.

These are most definitely compilations. Whether they are rerecorded or not, is irrelevant. But if you want to make such a strict delineation between compilations that include original soundtrack recordings and re-recordings, be my guest. I don't, and never will.

I don't know if it's the norwegian language, your knowledge of english, but you have a known problem of naming the things correctly. Anyway, that's the way we love you. :)

I'm sure this all makes sense in your head, but for most people a 'compilation' is mix of compositions from various albums and sources.

I guess the only exception I would make is for remix/tribute albums where the whole project deals with reconceptualizing -- quite radically -- the original compositions, like these:

jean_michel_jarre-odyssey_through_o2-fro

409702854_67177b5c2a.jpg

In this case, I would call it 'tribute' or 'remix' instead of 'compilation'.

The Spielberg albums are not this.

21 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So how would you label a new recording of some of the works of Mozart or Bach? By your definition is must always be a compilation, right?

Yes and no. Depends on a few things. If it's a recording of the complete works (or multiple complete works on the same album), it's obviously different. Or if it's, like, tribute jazz versions of the compositions.

Refusing to name the Spielberg albums 'compilations' seems absurd to me. At best.

31 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So how would you label a new recording of some of the works of Mozart or Bach? By your definition is must always be a compilation, right?

Bespin is correct actually.

Exactly - an album called "The Best of Bach" is certainly a compilation album.  If it's a complete performance of Mozart's Requiem, it's not.

Similarly, a re-recording of a single Williams score on one album is not.  A re-recording of multiple excerpts from different scores is a compilation.  Like Thor said, whether or not it's the first time a composition has been recorded is utterly irrelevant.

Spielberg/Williams albums are "Theme" albums, if we absolutely want to categorize them.

JW recorded plenty of Theme albums, just think about those: Pops By George – The Music of George Gershwin, Gershwin Fantasy, Cinema Serenade vol I & II, Bernstein by Boston, Night and Day – Celebrate Sinatra, Pops a la Russe, Pops Britannia, I Love A Parade, etc.

None of them are "compilations".

23 hours ago, Jay said:

Really hope this contains the Marion's Theme concert arrangement from 2008! And the Irina's Theme one too! And Stargazers! 

BTW, there are some older suggestions here

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19035-the-spielbergwilliams-collaboration-part-3/

I shot off an email to Jamie Richardson on this great news and also sent some suggestions worthy of the cause to include Amazing Stories, concert versions of Stargazers (ET), Irina's Theme (Crystal Skull), Marion's Theme (Raiders) and my favourite concert version of Young Indy's First Adventure (Last crusade).

No guarantee whether he will even read or forward my Message to Williams. But its a shot in the dark and worth in if its still ongoing.

Let see...!

I think Marion's Theme will very likely be included, if only because Williams performed it many times in concerts during the last few years. I hope he will record also Stargazers (aka E.T. and Me), the new orchestration of Scherzo for Motorcycle and the full Lincoln suite.

1 minute ago, TownerFan said:

I think Marion's Theme will very likely be included, if only because Williams performed it many times in concerts during the last few years. I hope he will record also Stargazers (aka E.T. and Me), the new orchestration of Scherzo for Motorcycle and the full Lincoln suite.

Lincoln is a sure bet. I agree Stargazers is basically a variation of 'ET & Me' cue and (I mentioned the same in my note to Jamie Richardson. I'am not aware of Scherzo for Motorcycle's new arrangement but I don't think they would include it again since it was already recorded on the First collaboration cd.

36 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I think only material composed after 1993 will be included.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if selections from Jaws, ET, CE3K or the Indiana Jones films will be newly recorded as well.

Oh no, we want new material, I'm sick of those Jaws, ET and CE3K re-recordings. This already was done. We are in 2016.

Few years ago I regretted that JW does not re-record his music anymore like he did in the past. We definitely want the new things he wrote since 1994, that's the goal, to wrap-up the recent years. And this is an opportunity for JW to wrote new concert arrangements and to record the ones he wrote for his latest concerts.

I'm confident it's gonna be almost exclusively new stuff, but again I wouldn't be that surprised if something like the Flying Theme, the Raiders March or the CE3K Excerpts will be included. Let's hope it'll be a 2-disc set :)

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Spielberg/Williams albums are sort of "concept" albums, if we absolutely want to categorize them.

JW recorded plenty of concept albums, just think about those: Pops By George – The Music of George Gershwin, Gershwin Fantasy, Cinema Serenade vol I & II, Bernstein by Boston, Night and Day – Celebrate Sinatra, Pops a la Russe, Pops Britannia, I Love A Parade, etc.

None of them are "compilations".

Yes, they are. All of them. But you call them your thing, and I -- with most other normal people -- call them my thing.

Just edited my previous post. "Theme album" is more exact, concept album is usually used in pop/rock world.

I'm a person who always doubt and who always try to be better. After making several discographies, I must say that I began to have an expertise on that domain.

Experience told me one thing: beware of the ones who have a cast in stone logic.

Corrected! Sorry, I translated my french idea too quickly! In french I would talk about "une logique bétonnée".

This debate makes me think of that weird album Mr. Blue Sky: The Very Best of Electric Light Orchestra that Jeff Lynne put out in 2012.  It was sold as a best of compilation but all the songs were brand new re-recordings by Lynne and random session musicians.  Still not sure how to think of that one (although I lean toward calling it a Jeff Lynne solo covers album where he's just..covering himself). 

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I'm a person who always doubt and who always try to be better. After making several discographies, I must say that I began to have an expertise on that domain.

You could have made a million discographies for all I care. That doesn't make your definition of things more intelligible. It's like you're holding an apple in front of me, saying it's called a banana, and that you can say this because you've eaten thousands of fruit over the years.

But I'm not going to waste anymore time making sense of your strange semantics, Bespin. I've tried that before. Feel free to call these COMPILATIONS whatever you wish.