The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III CD & DVD (And Ultimate Collection CD / VINYL box set)

The Psycho Pianist

I love how you can see Spielberg recording the whole thing from the back. He has spent so much time attending countless recording sessions with John over the years, but he still doesn't seem to take for granted Williams or the privilege it is to see him perform, and he continues to treat his relationship with him as something special that deserves being recorded. Bromance at it's best. 

spielberg_recording.png

Wow!

I know this arrangement has been discussed a lot but for some reason I'd never heard it. What's its history?

Anyway, it's great, better than what's on the original album IMO!

And really most of all, just great to see JW conducting, Spielberg filming, etc.! Very excited for March 17. Nice to see the marketing starting. 

7 minutes ago, Will said:

I know this arrangement has been discussed a lot but for some reason I'd never heard it. What's its history?

He started performing it in 2008 at live concerts along with other IJKOCS pieces. Simple as that.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

He started performing it in 2008 at live concerts along with other IJKOCS pieces. Simple as that.

So it wasn't arranged for KOTCS? It was just something he concurrently wrote for the concert hall? 

--------------

I like how the documentary cuts right from Spielberg's "head long run" comment to a big orchestral explosion. Love that comment and the way it was cut with the piece! 

I cannot wait to get this three disc compilation of the Maestro's work for Mr. Spielberg, one of the greatest film directors and storytellers of all time. I also cannot wait to see the documentary included in this set.

2 hours ago, Will said:

So it wasn't arranged for KOTCS? It was just something he concurrently wrote for the concert hall? 

--------------

I like how the documentary cuts right from Spielberg's "head long run" comment to a big orchestral explosion. Love that comment and the way it was cut with the piece! 

KOTCS made it possible. WHiout it Williams would not have revisited it.

Shame irina's theme did not make it to the CD. Marion's theme sounds great.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Am I missing something? I'm trying to view the video, but when I click on the link, every time I scroll to the bottom it just keeps loading another unrelated article.

Wow, those videos seem to be totally deleted!! :(

Even a Vevo search produces no results. 

Wow. Glad I caught 'em when I did. 

Here's what the VEVO pages say:

You've caught us during a soundcheck!
We're still putting the finishing touches on this killer video, but don't worry it will be live very soon!

http://www.vevo.com/watch/USSM21700196?isrc=USSM21700196&share_location=ingestion

http://www.vevo.com/watch/USSM21700194?isrc=USSM21700194&share_location=ingestion

Do you think that's just their generic error message, or does it indicate that these videos will be returning?

Amazon Germany has the first sample online and its Marion's Theme only.

https://www.amazon.de/John-Williams-Steven-Spielberg-Collection/dp/B06X3VH2R9/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487308648&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=Steven+Spielberg+%26+John+Williams%3A+The+Collection+cd

P.S. It shows a preliminary Digital Booklet link as well. It will be up soon. I hope.

Plus Stargazers, his new suite from E.T.!

Add in selections from KOEM, RPO and Indy V, that's already a solid 4th collection covering 8 films.

A.I. is so brimming with musical ideas it could even have multiple suites.

17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I hope Ivanka's Theme makes it onto the 4th Spielberg/Williams collection!

Yes here's to hoping someone re-records Irina's Theme in the near future! It's such a lovely homage to the femme fatale music of film noirs.

Oh and I am so grateful Spielberg suggested to Williams that he should revisit Marion's theme. The concert arrangement is gorgeous.

It would be nice if they had recorded something from every single film, but I guess decisions had to be made. Plus, it seems that audiences don't have particularly fond memories of WOTW, The Lost World or Indy 4. It seems JW and Spielberg picked selections from the films that likely are their own favorites.

Nowadays i find these simple sing-along romantic tunes really the most expendable of Williams' oeuvre. It's OK in the middle of the march but 4 straight minutes of it? 'Irina's Theme' at least has a certain ambiguity about it.

50 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

It would be nice if they had recorded something from every single film, but I guess decisions had to be made. Plus, it seems that audiences don't have particularly fond memories of WOTW, The Lost World or Indy 4. It seems JW and Spielberg picked selections from the films that likely are their own favorites.

You are probably right. But If we are lucky to get more substantial collaborations in the near future we may get a 4th outing. Only if that would allow them to dig further into the well for more fruitful selections. But for now, we have to be content with this set. I'm looking quite forward to it.

Well Spielberg didn't seem to have much interest in Lost World and there's all those rumours about his fallout with Cruise over his behaviour promoting WOTW (plus the on-set contractual obligations he had to acquiesce), but I can't imagine either SS or JW having an issue with A.I.

I think SS remembers that film very fondly, even if it wasn't the critical darling he hoped for (though it's finally being recognised as a near masterpiece these days).

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Well Spielberg didn't seem to have much interest in Lost World and there's all those rumours about his fallout with Cruise over his behaviour promoting WOTW (plus the on-set contractual obligations he had to acquiesce), but I can't imagine either SS or JW having an issue with A.I.

I think SS remembers that film very fondly, even if it wasn't the critical darling he hoped for (though it's finally being recognised as a near masterpiece these days).

I think they both don't have peculiar issues with any film they did together. I guess they are proud of what they did on A.I. It's simply a matter of recording what they like best, imho, or what JW thinks is better for this type of purely musical presentation. For example, he never published anything from A.I. on Hal Leonard (except for a piano reduction of "For Always"), so that might imply he feels the material isn't suit for concert presentation, who knows (however, he provided printed music to David Newman when he conducted "Where Dreams Are Made" at Hollywood in Vienna a couple years ago):

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

however, he provided printed music to David Newman when he conducted "Where Dreams Are Made" at Hollywood in Vienna a couple years ago

He did? How do you know?

I remember it was told by the Hollywood in Vienna organisers back then that Williams gave permission to perform the piece. It's the only time it was performed in concert so far (I seem to remember Williams conducted "The Reunion" at the Bowl once in 2001 and "For Always" at the Pops in 2003).

19 hours ago, Will said:

19 hours ago, Jay said:

19 hours ago, Will said:

So you know how he wrote The Jedi Steps Concert Version towards the end of his work on TFA, or Getting Out The Vote concert version towards the end of his work on Lincoln, or The BFG Concert Version towards the end of his work on The BFG, but never recorded those pieces during the recording sessions, only debuting them in concert later?  Same case here.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

I remember it was told by the Hollywood in Vienna organisers back then that Williams gave permission to perform the piece. It's the only time it was performed in concert so far (I seem to remember Williams conducted "The Reunion" at the Bowl once in 2001 and "For Always" at the Pops in 2003).

Interesting. Because quite often they hire people to reconstruct the scores from the films/CDs.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Williams hasn't actually conducted a public performance of the full "Jedi Steps" concert arrangement yet, has he?  If he has, is there video of this?

Don't think Williams himself has, no, but there are videos of other conductors doing it

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26506-jedi-steps-the-concert-arrangement-version

Holy crap, almost 2 hours later and no one is talking about this?

I was pleasantly surprised by how long the The BFG and War Horse selections are!

Seems to determine what music is in the Minority Report track, too.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I was pleasantly surprised by how long the The BFG and War Horse selections are!

I mean...they're about the same length as the concert arrangements we've already heard so it didn't seem worth commenting upon.  I have the WAV file that @Will ripped from the debut of The BFG piece last Summer and it's just about exactly 7:28-7:30 without the clapping at the end.

And yeah, "A New Beginning" is probably just that section taken out for the same titled track on the OST.

Yeah, if anything I'm disappointed at those BFG and War Horse lengths, because they seem to indicate little or no re-arranging from what's been performed in concerts.

It will be interesting to hear if the interpretation is a little different, though. 

It's going to be a real treat to get film-quality recordings of concert pieces, anyway!