The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III CD & DVD (And Ultimate Collection CD / VINYL box set)

The Psycho Pianist

I have been flicking through the 3rd CD. Bes, are you sure that you hear static, at 50 secs? To me, it sounds like clipping. I'll admit that it is a little off-putting, but it doesn't prevent my enjoyment of the CD. In fact, I think that it's, generally, well-played, and well-engineered. It's mastered "loud", but not too loud (no loudness wars, here).

All 'n' all: not bad.

I finally compared the first track (Raider's Theme) from the first CD, with the old 1991 CD.

They are identical.

The average album volume of this CD is 87,1 dB.

In comparison, the average album volume of the new album is 92,3 dB.

Nevertheless, we can't really push up the volume of the two first albums more than 1,5 dB, to avoid clipping.

I imagine that if Mike Matessino had worked on the two first albums, he would have added a little bit compression, to be able to push the volume to a more modern standard.

Sony, you dropped it.

I'd appreciate a little compression myself.  To get the volume where I sometimes like it I have to turn my speakers up to the point where I hear hum.  Of course that could just be my speakers being crappy.  I'm not an audiophile or anything.

18 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

If a release has even the slightest trace of dynamic compression, people scream loudness war. If it doesn't, people scream it's old-fashioned.

Yep!!

And assuming that MM would have just been given access to the stereo masters of the two previous CDs, a person could probably do just as well (not a dig at MM) with ripping the CDs his/herself and applying whatever level of amplitude compression they're comfortable with using any number of audio editing programs, some free.

On 2017-03-31 at 0:37 PM, Bespin said:

There are several static noises in the mix of this album, particularly on the left channel (Marion's Theme at 00:50 by example).

And that sound recording for the solo clarinet in Viktor's Tale... my god...

Recorded in two days... and mixed in two hours?

After 3-4 listening... I discover that it's not a so-well produced album...

yeah..

I never really explored the compression tools of my Nero suite nor Audacity... anyone here knows how to do that?

Thanks to a friend who helped me understanding the settings of the Compression tool in Audacity... The two first CD sounds now more "modern" and on the same level as the third one...

And in the meanwhile, I did the same with "The Planets" and "Pops Britannia" albums, because they are mastered at very low volume too (like some others Philips CD released at the time)!!!

Wow, I discover a lot more details and all the richness of these recordings, like if I was listening to them for the first time!

On 31.1.2017 at 6:30 AM, Incanus said:

A Tribute to John Williams compilation released for the Maestro's 80th birthday by Sony also had the Happy Birthday Variations, again performed by this ensemble.

When was this recorded? I dont have the CD, could anyone please have a look inside the booklet? Thanks!

2 minutes ago, lemoncurd said:

When was this recorded? I dont have the CD, could anyone please have a look inside the booklet? Thanks!

It was recorded on December 9th 1999 at Sony Pictures Studios, Culver City, CA.

5 minutes ago, lemoncurd said:

p_88691942532.jpg

A Tribute to John Williams: An 80th Birthday Celebration (2012, Sony Classical, 88691942532, Compilation)

Sound the Bells!; Out to Sea / The Shark Cage Fugue from Jaws; Theme from Sabrina; March from 1941; Adventures on Earth from E.T.; Dartmoor, 1912 from War Horse; The Adventures of Mutt from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull; Harry's Wondrous World from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone; Elegy for Cello and Orchestra; Going To School from Memoirs of a Geisha; The Mission Theme (Theme for NBC Nightly News); Theme from Schindler's List; The Adventure Continues from The Adventures of Tintin; Throne Room and Finale from Star Wars; Happy Birthday Variations [previously unreleased].

Recording Arts Orchestra of Los Angeles.

Recorded December 9, 1999 at Sony Pictures Studios, Culver City, CA.

Williams mentioned in the particular recent interview about Spielberg that he has made video recordings of nearly every Williams sessions. I suspect Spielberg may make a major tribute to Williams by making a documentary on his legacy someday. Just saying...

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Bespin, how does your post answer his question, which was asking when it was recorded?

You should be thankful he didn't use this opportunity to promote his website: "Hey, you can find all the info you need on my website, which presents the best and most complete John Williams discography out there! Ignore all the others. They don't know what they're doing: my classification is the only one that makes sense and that is valid. Cheers!"

Obviously my post above Bespin's wasn't enough. I feel so inadequate now.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

He stole your thunder

Curses! Now I have to think of a way to one-up him in some way! I know, I'll start a John Williams discography website! The BEST MOST COMPREHENSIVE WEBSITE on the subject! 

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Bespin, it's well into the afternoon for them....

Well I talked about my morning!!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 17-3-2017 at 10:14 AM, Thor said:

More diverse, perhaps, but certainly not as fulfilling.

WILLIAMS ON WILLIAMS is not only my favourite JW compilation; it's one of my favourite film music compilations of all time and easily on my Top 50 list of favourite soundtrack albums (where both individual scores and compilations are put together). I'm extremely passionate about that album.

As one might see, I feel exactly the same. 

Pretty sure "By Request..." is my favorite Williams compilation, and it's not really close.  As nice as the Spielberg/Williams CDs are, I'm not particularly enamored with the performances/pacing on many of the cues.

I'm surprised to see the unbridled adoration for "Williams on Williams".  To each their own, of course, but I don't think it really got better than that first entry.

Just now, nightscape94 said:

Pretty sure "By Request..." is my favorite Williams compilation, and it's not really close.  As nice as the Spielberg/Williams CDs are, I'm not particularly enamored with the performances/pacing on many of the cues.

I'm surprised to see the unbridled adoration for "Williams on Williams".  To each their own, of course, but I don't think it really got better than that first entry.

In my case it's mostly about two tracks: the Flight to Neverland arrangement which is an exceptional showcase of JW trademark orchestration, as well as the Basket Chase, one of JW's most witty and Prokofievesque arrangements.

• 3 weeks later...

Well..I finally got my set. No Thanks to Amazon US for fucking up my package as it got lost and had to wait for a while more for it to turn up before I could request a refund. So got my order this week from UK instead (much faster) and I have been playing this non stop. Boy ! what a fine recording this is and Royce Hall acoustics really shine along with a terrific conducting and performances by the orchestra. The DVD is lovingly made! The whole album has some sort of reverential feel to it as it celebrates Williams -Spielberg legacy. Perhaps, THE LOST WORLD and WAR OF THE WORLDS would have been overkill but it still needed A.I. I dont mind the abbreviated SPR Hymn and the Trumpet elegy for LINCOLN is worth the price of admission.

Anyways, Williams should record more albums at this venue. 

Now onto Keith Lockhart....

A question for anyone who purchased this set via iTunes or other digital service that includes the video, is the video file in HD (720 or 1080)?  The preview video samples that appeared on Vimeo, etc were in HD but obviously, the DVD is SD.

• 2 weeks later...

My set arrived today. Really glad with the compact packaging. Listened to the first three tracks, and my God, do they sound detailed! Did they remaster volumes one and two or something? I don't know why, but this sounds so much better than all the digital files I've listened to. Before any of you berate me for listening to 128 kbps, be aware that I've listened to 320 and FLAC through my surround system, and I heard no difference whatsoever. I'm playing these CDs on a recently bought portable radio, but am hearing more details than ever before. Weird.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't like this set when it was released and said it out loud when I was drunk(the fact that I have to rebuy the previous recordings) My lovely

wife heard that and she ordered this set and gave it to me as a birthday present. Of course I love it, especially the DVD. I do not like

Amistad, never liked it, a piece for the kindergarten not for me.

• 3 months later...

Sony is the master repackaging old stuff to sell it again. I fell for it with this 3 disc set and now they are bamboozling the LP crowd to buy it again. I wonder how long will it take for those limited 1500 units to sell out.

Does anyone else hear static in a few of the tracks? Escapades (III) comes to mind. Perhaps it's clipping, I've heard the same static on a version I found online too.

My dad has promised to give me a turntable this year (he's a HiFi freak). So all I need now is to find room for it in my tiny apartment, as well as start buying LPs again. I think I have about 10 stored in my dad's collection, acquired in the early 90s. A set like this would be cool, but I'm pleased with my existing, individual CDs (well, III I only have digitally at this point).