The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III CD & DVD (And Ultimate Collection CD / VINYL box set)

The Psycho Pianist

BloodBoal is right.

For the moment, let's focus on the "Single": Marion's theme and Dry your tears Afrika.

I say patience.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « i say patience »

I've integrated the single in my "85th" playlist:

6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Why don't you wait for the set to arrives to listen to the music, instead of listening to it on Youtube or Spotify before getting it?

That way, the "initial glow of the release" would still be here, plus your first listen would be in CD quality, with the booklet and all. Much more exciting than listening to the music on Youtube in front your computer, while playing Call Of Duty or some other dumb game...

Sometimes, I just don't understand you, you youngsters... No patience, always the need to listen to stuff as soon as possible (even if it sometimes means in crappy quality)... Learn to wait for your first listen and make it a special experience, and you'll see you'll appreciate way more.

I'm 37 and I'll listen to it on Spotify the day it comes out.  Of course, in a few clicks on my phone the album is playing through my nice living room home theater setup, its not like I'll be listening on computer speakers!

On 3/8/2017 at 2:40 AM, BloodBoal said:

Why don't you wait for the set to arrives to listen to the music, instead of listening to it on Youtube or Spotify before getting it?

That way, the "initial glow of the release" would still be here, plus your first listen would be in CD quality, with the booklet and all. Much more exciting than listening to the music on Youtube in front your computer, while playing Call Of Duty or some other dumb game...

Sometimes, I just don't understand you, you youngsters... No patience, always the need to listen to stuff as soon as possible (even if it sometimes means in crappy quality)... Learn to wait for your first listen and make it a special experience, and you'll see you'll appreciate way more.

On 3/8/2017 at 9:19 AM, BloodBoal said:

I was referring to Will's comment, complaining about the fact that by the time he'll get the CD, the initial glow of the release will be gone since he'll have already listened to the album via other means, suggesting Youtube as one of those means, and I betcha he'd be listening to it via crappy computer speakers!

Yes, you're absolutely right, I could just wait until the CD arrives. However, since I've joined JWFan one of the major joys of a new release for me has been discussing it with you guys. The discussion will be in full swing in the first couple days after March 17, and if I want to join in I'll need to listen at that time. 

My first listen will absolutely not be on computer speakers (that's a thing of the past for me haha). It will be on my Koss headphones or my portable speaker. 

That was actually my dad's reaction when I said I wanted to see Rogue One the weekend after it came out. He had suggested waiting two or three weeks, which was horrifying to me. :lol:

But discussing new film scores is 1000000x more fun than discussing old ones, mostly because many old discussions aren't very lively (with a few exceptions). 

Unless we were able to all together say, "We're going to wait five months to listen to the TLJ score or watch the film, and then we will discuss together," then I see little incentive at this time to wait. It's fun to discover a score together. 

49 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

The newest episode of CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO presents music from the new Sony Classical album THE SPIELBERG/WILLIAMS COLLABORATION PART III for your enjoyment!

http://www.cinematicsound.net/ep-42-re-recording-john-williams/

Thanks for listening!

-Erik-

Thanks Erik. Looking forward to hearing the actual album. Sound Quality and performances appear to be quite good.

I'll have to wait the whole day before I can get back home and listen to this show. Looking forward to it! :) 

3 hours ago, azahid said:

Thanks Erik. Looking forward to hearing the actual album. Sound Quality and performances appear to be quite good.

Really, azahid? "Quite good"?

If it's JW, I want nothing less than excellent. If it's all "A Shawn Murphy Production", however, then I know what to expect.

6 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

The newest episode of CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO presents music from the new Sony Classical album THE SPIELBERG/WILLIAMS COLLABORATION PART III for your enjoyment!

Thanks for listening!

-Erik-

Wait, Sony sent it to you already? They haven't sent it to us yet! 

Did you get it from Canada branch or US? 

Many of us film music critics already received a digital promo of this last week. I have it on my hard drive, ready to go, but I haven't had the time to play it untill now. Now all I need is to track down a digital version of the DVD.....

I understand, and my rep at Sony said she'd send it to me too when they went out. She did send me some 2Cellos promo last week that's also coming out on the 17th...

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

The entire album has been played in the most recent Cinematic Sound episode...

Not true. I played Crystal Skull, Tintin, Raiders, Catch Me If You Can, Private Ryan, Munich, Amistad, War Horse, Terminal and Unfinished Journey. I left the rest for you to discover on the 17th. ;)

-Erik-

But is it written out by Williams or improvised by Mike Valerio?

OK, after having listened to the set (and skipping the tracks from the previous albums that I already own), I must say that while all the new tracks are excellently performed, I had hoped for arrangements that were a BIT more different than the original soundtrack versions. No biggie, though. I think the documentary is what I'm most excited about here (even though I'm sure it contains stories we've all heard before).

6 minutes ago, Incanus said:

But is it written out by Williams or improvised by Mike Valerio?

Good question. Would there be a reason behind it?

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

OK, after having listened to the set (and skipping the tracks from the previous albums that I already own), I must say that while all the new tracks are excellently performed, I had hoped for arrangements that were a BIT more different than the original soundtrack versions. No biggie, though. I think the documentary is what I'm most excited about here (even though I'm sure it contains stories we've all heard before).

Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me If You Can, Marion's Theme and War Horse ARE different.  Did you just skim through the album or actually listen?

-Erik-

10 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

-Erik-

Perhaps in the Charlie Parker jazz spirit of the piece Williams allowed the players a bit of room for improvisation. The John Williams Celebration from Walt Disney Hall DVD has the same group of players and to my ears Valerio's last lengthy solo sounded improvised. The original Escapades concert suite doesn't have such a double bass solo to finish off the piece. But of course it could be a revision.

And hearing the Escapades performance I must reiterate for the umpteenth time that Irina's theme would have sounded gorgeous had they recorded it. :P 

15 minutes ago, Incanus said:

And hearing the Escapades performance I must reiterate for the umpteenth time that Irina's theme would have sounded gorgeous had they recorded it. :P 

Yes, indeed!

-Erik-

29 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

Amistad, Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me If You Can, Marion's Theme and War Horse ARE different.  Did you just skim through the album or actually listen?

-Erik-

Of course I listened properly to the new tracks. There ARE differences, but I guess I had expected something a little more radical. Something more in the style of "Escapades" for the other tracks as well, or the way the HOOK tracks were conceived on the Vol. 2. But I know that to some, adherence to the original performance is a plus, not a negative.

26 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's a pretty key part of the piece, on the original and this recording.

Vibraphone you mean?

The Escapades suite conducted by Maestro is such a treat plus Reflections happens to be one of my favourite JW cues of all time and is played here to such perfection. Even the double bass coda is fantastic!

The Hymn to the Fallen is a curiously truncated version, played quite fast and omitting sections of the piece, running about 2 minutes shorter than the original one. Certainly not my favourite revision.

25 minutes ago, Incanus said:

The Hymn to the Fallen is a curiously truncated version, played quite fast and omitting sections of the piece, running about 2 minutes shorter than the original one. Certainly not my favourite revision.

Yeah, not a fan of it personally.

-Erik-

2 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

At the very least, it'll be different. I always consider that a good thing; if I want to hear the original, I might as well listen to the original. :P

I'm with you but the new arrangement of the Hymn seems.... bizarre. It doesn't flow naturally.

-Erik-

Just finished my first listen.  Its a nice album!

There's obviously not a lot of "new" here for a JW aficionado, but for a casual fan its a GREAT intro to his Spielberg scores of the past 20 years.

Woah, this Immigration and Building is awesome!! 

Very interesting choices made by Williams here - he uses the film version rather than the concert version from the COTC CD, and then replaces the film/COTC album ending with the much more bombastic Flight and Technology COTC CD version (not the film version now!), using a bit of the CSO live concert version as a bridge. Wow!

@king mark I think you're going to love this! It's a great recording and incorporates some of the CSO version.

46 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

You have heard The Land Race from Far and Away, right?

I haven't, actually. Listening now...

EDIT: Oh, wow. Well. Awesome too!! Must not be an intentional similarity, right? 

2 hours ago, Will said:

I haven't, actually. Listening now...

EDIT: Oh, wow. Well. Awesome too!! Must not be an intentional similarity, right? 

I somehow like to think the Building aspect brought the Irish immigrants populating the West (and thus Far and Away) to JWs mind when he was composing this. Again I do not know what imagery the piece underscored at the premiere.

12 hours ago, Incanus said:

This version is terrible. My worst fears, after seeing track running time, have been realized. That's a real shame, because I love original "Hymn to the Fallen".

So is the War Horse track the OST version or the entire suite performed by that young flute player and conducted by Williams on YouTube? Also, I don't really like the sound of the truncated Hymn...

25 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

So is the War Horse track the OST version or the entire suite performed by that young flute player and conducted by Williams on YouTube? Also, I don't really like the sound of the truncated Hymn...

I really hope it's the latter. That suite is one of my favourite JW works of the last decade.