The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III CD & DVD (And Ultimate Collection CD / VINYL box set)

The Psycho Pianist

I do think there is a difference between a CD containing re-recordings of Williams' work compared to one that has a bunch of OST tracks on it.

Especially if that former one has music that isn't identical to their OST counterpart, such as the two previous Spielberg/Williams CDs.

If they're both "compilations", then what term should be used to distinguish between them?

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

Oh no, we want new material, I'm sick of those Jaws, ET and CE3K re-recordings. This already was done. We are in 2016.

Seconded. Only exception if they're actually modified from their previous versions.

But straight re-recordings? Nay, better spend the time and effort on something else!

5 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

I do think there is a difference between a CD containing re-recordings of Williams' work compared to one that has a bunch of OST tracks on it.

Especially if that former one has music that isn't identical to their OST counterpart, such as the two previous Spielberg/Williams CDs.

If they're both "compilations", then what term should be used to distinguish between them?

Why would you need a term? One contains rerecorded versions of the themes, the other contains the original recordings. There is a multitude of different compilations out there, in all shapes and forms. Doesn't mean that we need different words for all of them.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Why would you need a term? One contains rerecorded versions of the themes, the other contains the original recordings. There is a multitude of different compilations out there, in all shapes and forms. Doesn't mean that we need different words for all of them.

A description would do as well. As long as there are certain words I can use to clarify what I mean. ;)

There seem to be different "levels" film music compilations:

1. Compilation of OST tracks

2. Compilation of re-recorded OST tracks

3. Compilation of new recordings of music inspired by the OSTs, but notably different

I personally find #3 there BY FAR the most interesting. #2 can be fun, but isn't particularly exciting. And #1 seems rather pointless to me.

21 hours ago, Jay said:

The track called "Irina's Theme" on the OST isn't a concert arrangement at all, it's simply portions of three different film cues (End Credits, Irina Spalko, and Russians Reappear) edited together. 

He later wrote an actual concert arrangement of her theme that is really great!

Thanks! I never knew the 'Irina's Theme' track was an edit. Definitely hope the concert arrangement is on this new album now. Surely, we'll finally have a Williams conducted Marion's Theme on album too.

On 10/3/2016 at 2:11 PM, mrbellamy said:

It's crazy to think that at some point last year we were even speculating if BFG might be his last one, and now he's got at least 3 and as many as 5 major scores pencilled into his schedule along with an animated short, a new retrospective CD, and potentially a concert work to tide us over in the meantime. And he's still conducting like a beast.

It's almost funny to me that I'm a guy in my 20s and of all the active and working musicians, filmmakers, writers that I follow, my favorite remains this 84 year old man. There are people 1/3 his age that I wish would put out stuff this often!

Speaking of that animated short, it should be almost time, shouldn't it? NBA season starts later this month.

On 30.9.2016 at 8:23 PM, Bespin said:

If a third Spielberg-Williams collaboration album is in preparation, I'm very excited, because I never imagined that JW would record another non-soundtrack album!!! The last one goes back to 2002, the one recorded with Yo-Yo Ma!

No, the last non-soundtrack-record was the Suite from "Memoirs Of A Geisha" in 2008.

1 hour ago, Stempel said:

No, the last non-soundtrack-record was the Suite from "Memoirs Of A Geisha" in 2008.

That was not an album. In fact, does the 'concert suite' from MEMOIRS have any commercial release at all? 

But regardless, only Bespin would be able to call this new SOUNDTRACK COMPILATION a non-soundtrack album. So not only is it NOT a compilation, according to him (pr. previous discussion), it's also not film music! The mind boggles. :blink:

35 minutes ago, Stempel said:

OK. So it was part of a compilation before; not its own album. And also not 'non-soundtrack', of course.

Seems to me that the last non-film music album that Williams himself was involved in, was indeed the Yo Yo Ma album in 2002 that Bespin mentions. We disagree on most everything else in terms of definitions, but we agree on that.

The last film music album he was involved in himself (that was not a regular soundtrack album) seems to be WILLIAMS ON WILLIAMS Spielberg compilation in '95. So 21 or 22 years between that and this upcoming one, depending on release date!

Need some help guys? ;)

After the 2002 album done in collaboration with Yo-Yo Ma, they released some live sessions from Memoirs of a Geisha in 2006, but it's an EP, not an album.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « Memoirs of a Geisha - Live Sessions »

The Memoirs of a Geisha Suite (recorded live in 2008 by The Chicago Symphony Orchestra and conducted by John Williams) was released on the boxset Yo-Yo Ma - 30 Years Outside the Box in 2009, then in 2010 on the compilation  The Music of America: John Williams.

Of course, since the early 2000, several new JW recordings were released separately, but no one as a "conventional" album.

p_tanglewood75.jpg

Music from Angela's Ashes / Williams, Boston Pops O (2000) (2012, BSO Classics, Digital Release)

Music composed and conducted by John Williams; Narrated by Frank McCourt.

p_tanglewood75.jpg

Lerner and Loewe: "My Fair Lady", arranged for singers and jazz orchestra by John Williams /
The Tanglewood Big Band Ensemble (2004) (2012, BSO Classics, Digital Release)

Music arranged and conducted by John Williams; Performed by Dianne Reeves and Brian Stokes Mitchell.

p_tanglewood75.jpg

James Taylor And Friends / Boston Pops Esplanade O (2009) (2012, BSO Classics, Digital Release)

Music conducted by John Williams.

p_2013_oboe.jpg

Oboe Concerto /  Williams, Boston Pops Orchestra (2013, iTunes Release [EP])

Music composed and conducted by John Williams.

p_887158373572.jpg

We'll Paint You a Rainbow / Nowak, Angeli Ensemble (2013, Nightengale Records, 887158373572)

Music composed by John Williams: Elegy (performed by Lynn Harrell); Conducted by John Williams: Somewhere Over the Rainbow (performed by Christine Brewer).

p_140201.jpg

The Glenn Dicterow Collection (2014, New York Philharmonic, 140201)

Music composed and conducted by John Williams: Schindler's List: Main Theme.

19 minutes ago, Tom said:

I did not realize the concert suite from Angela's Ashes had an official release--I must have been asleep at the wheel for that one.  I will get it post haste. 

Well "official"... you can buy it, but it's not really a release we can call "great public". ;)

You now what, I've done my website especially for that reason... because we often miss a release... they are so many...  THEY ALL ARE on my disco. :)

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

1 hour ago, Miguel Andrade said:

The suite to Memoirs of a Geisha was first released on Yo-Yo Ma's "30 Years Outside the Box"

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

The Memoirs of a Geisha Suite (recorded live in 2008 by The Chicago Symphony Orchestra and conducted by John Williams) was released on the boxset Yo-Yo Ma - 30 Years Outside the Box in 2009, then in 2010 on the compilation  The Music of America: John Williams.

On Saturday, October 08, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Bespin said:

You now what, I've done my website especially for that reason... because we often miss a release... they are so many...  THEY ALL ARE on my disco. :)

You have a website?  You never mentioned it.

• 4 weeks later...

Any update on this unofficially-confirmed project? I haven't seen any updates or any more news on the sessions other the initial news?

I'd imagine they won't officially announce it until the product is mixed and mastered, and has an imminent release date.  It might come out in 2017; It might come out in 2018.  Who knows!

Except I'm excited to see what the collaboration brings?  Never seen a Rian Johnson movie I didn't like.  Definitely couldn't have said the same for Abrams last year, what with TFA being his follow-up to the terrible Into Darkness.

All I know of Johnson tells me he's a thoughtful, intelligent person.  Certainly giving him the benefit of the doubt at the very least.

Last year was a Star Wars year, remember that specialized labels offered us a great year full of wonderful expanded sets: A.I., Jaws, Jaws 2, Home Alone 25th, Tom Sawyer, Lost in Space 50th Anniversary Soundtrack Collection.

2016 was very ordinary.

So be prepared for 2017!

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Last year that was a Star Wars year, remember that specialized labels offered us a great year full of wonderful expanded sets: A.I., Jaws, Jaws 2, Home Alone 25th, Tom Sawyer, Lost in Space 50th Anniversary Soundtrack Collection.

2016 was very ordinary.

So be prepared for 2017!

To Bespin you should listen!

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Disney doesn't care about what you want, Mr. Champagne, they care about what the mass audience wants.

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « No No no star wars »

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Is that possible? Assuming that they are on the Tantive IV, how much is the ship involved in the events of R1?

We're talking about Episode VIII.  Not Rogue One.