JAWS - Live To Projection Concerts (5 minutes unused music restored to picture)

crocodile

They just realized that players will fall asleep in the scenes where there is not enough music.

These 5 additional minutes will keep the orchestra busy all the time.

F*** Spielberg and his boring dialogs!

7 minutes ago, Bespin said:

They just realized that players will fall asleep in the scenes where there is not enough music.

These 5 additional minutes will keep the orchestra busy all the time.

F*** Spielberg and his boring dialogs!

I'm sorry, but do you have anything positive, or of interest to contribute here?

Seriously, I'll be curious to know when they do a project like this, if they really found 100% of the old partitions, and if they need to repass on each bits of music to assure themselves that it's conform to the final recorded score. I'm sure that these projects represent a lot of work!

This is beyond cool. Yes, the film isn't scored wall to wall (there's 55 mins of music out of 124 total duration of the movie, including the unused cues), but when the music comes in, it's a blast. And several pieces are for full symphony orchestra, hence the players will have to work out a lot. The live-to-projection is the new fad and in all honesty some titles aren't truly worthy of this treatment. But Jaws is surely one of most worthy for this format. I hope it'll come here in Italy too!

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Seriously, I'll be curious to know when they do a project like this, if they really found 100% of the old partitions, or if they need to repass on each bits of music to assure themself that it's conform to the existing recorded score. I'm sure that these projects represent a lot of work.

Well the music will have to conform to the picture. Which usually means some changes have to be made from the original written score.

Jaws is a score that remained largely intact though in the finished film.

Yes, there isn't much editing at all of the final recorded music to picture, it's mostly dialed out bits here and there. The original full score is safely stored at the Universal library and, for this kind of projects, it's usually JoAnn Kane Music Service that  deals with the production of a new engraved full conductor's score and the realization of all the single parts.

Woah! Hope this comes to Chicago.

"Though Williams is not composing any new music for the live concert presentation, there is approximately five minutes from the original music composed for the film that was not used. That music will be restored specifically for the new live presentation, says Richardson."

They could be mistaken that JW won't write anything new, and I hope they are. The first half closings and entr'actes at the other concerts have been great (I'm assuming those were by JW himself).

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

Yes, there isn't much editing at all of the final recorded music to picture, it's mostly dialed out bits here and there. The original full score is safely stored at the Universal library and, for this kind of projects, it's usually JoAnn Kane Music Service that  deals with the production of a new engraved full conductor's score and the realization of all the single parts.

You know like me that sometimes, cues are edited in the montage process.  Of course, those edits don't appears on the partitions, so they have to be adapted.

I wonder if they always go for the recorded movie version... or sometimes go for the way it was originally written on the partition (if it fits on the movie). Imagine they do "ESB In Concert"... would they use the beginning of the finale from the movie or the one from the soundtrack?  And for the Witches of Eastwick, would they reintroduce the "Balloon Sequence" written by Williams? :D

Keep these Live-to-Picture events rolling in!

In less than a year I would have seen Harry Potter, E.T. and Raiders.  Not to mention the option of seeing Home Alone this holiday season (which I will be skipping)

42 minutes ago, Bespin said:

You know like me that sometimes, cues are edited in the montage process.  Of course, those edits don't appears on the partitions, so they have to be adapted.

I wonder if they always go for the recorded movie version... or sometimes go for the way it was originally written on the partition (if it fits on the movie). Imagine they do "ESB In Concert"... would they use the beginning of the finale from the movie or the one from the soundtrack?  And for the Witches of Eastwick, would they reintroduce the "Balloon Sequence" written by Williams? :D

As I saw, the "Film in Concert" philosopshy is to recreate the score exactly as heard in the film, but sometimes they restore unused cues or tracked pieces with their original counterpart. As I wrote before, in the case of Jaws the music as heard in the movie isn't much edited--most of the cues remained intact as written and recorded by JW (a few cues were dialed out, like "The Alimentary Canal" and "Quint Meets His End"), so this is gonna be an easier work for the people who will have to prepare the new concert score and its synchronization with the picture. However, the written score has a few differences from the final recorded film version--it's nothing super-substantial, they're mostly small orchestration changes made on the podium during the sessions (some of the original "as written" versions are heard on McNeely's 1999 re-recording for Varèse), so it'll be interesting to see if they will go with the as-written versions or if they will try to conform with the original film recording (I guess the former is more likely).

This is awesome, I definitely want to go to this next summer!

5 minutes of unused music seems high.  Isn't it just "Typewriter Chord" and "Quint Meets His End"?  What other bits of music got dialed out?

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

5 minutes of unused music seems high.  Isn't it just "Typewriter Chord" and "Quint Meets His End"?  What other bits of music got dialed out?

OMG finally people get to hear the Typewriter Chord which has before this been the treasure of only us true JW aficionados! :o

But seriously this is great news! Keep these live to picture performances coming for John Williams' greatest works which surely deserve to be heard in such a setting.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Williams' quote from this very release.

“It’s thrilling for both Steven and me to realize that this unique film still captures the imagination of viewers after so many years, and that audiences now can enjoy the movie live in concert, accompanied by a great orchestra,” said the composer. “This is the greatest possible reward for the joyous and fun-filled task of making it.”

Karol

I think the only one in the crew who thought it was a fun filled task was probably Williams who didn't have to slowly go crazy in Martha's Vineyard where Bruce the mechanical shark would sink every other day, currents made scene setups absolute hell and the production went over budget because of all the delays. :P

But I am certain a composer gets a huge kick from witnessing such longevity and popularity of his work, especially something he himself loved creating.

5 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I think the only one in the crew who thought it was a fun filled task was probably Williams who didn't have to slowly go crazy in Martha's Vineyard where Bruce the mechanical shark would sink every other day, currents made scene setups absolute hell and the production went over budget because of all the delays. :P

Surely a composer can bring a fresh and unbiased perspective when called to see the rough cut and that's exactly what happened with Williams and Jaws. It's known that Spielberg temped several scenes with Williams' Images, as he wanted to give the shark a somewhat "supernatural" musical accompaniment, but it was Williams who dissuaded him from going such a route. "No no no, Steven baby boy, that's wrong! You made a pirate movie!". I think it's very telling about how a director like Spielberg trusts his collaborator and let him express his own aesthetic view, especially if we consider it was only their own second collaboration.

17 hours ago, Jay said:

I forgot that Alimentary Canal was also unused, along with parts of Tug on the Line and Three Barrels Under, so five minutes is making a little more sense now (still seems high)

Maybe the five minutes includes the intermission break and entr'acte music

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

I forgot that Alimentary Canal was also unused, along with parts of Tug on the Line and Three Barrels Under, so five minutes is making a little more sense now (still seems high)

Remember the first part of Blown To Bits was dailed out in the film also. And Quint Meets His End. If that's included you could easily come up to 5 minutes.

On 11-10-2016 at 5:47 PM, Bespin said:

I would LOVE to watch ESB with the music as originally written! Yes, the way it is in the final movie does work. And pretty well too.

But what would the alternative have been like? Especially when put in the context of the entire movie?

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Was there an official intermission/entr'acte written for the film? Were those ever recorded? :blink:

No.
 The days of the intermission were over in the 70's, for the most part.

But these live to screen performances must have one, to allow the orchestra a break. Usually there's a short music piece arranged from the score to play the film out-and-in again.

8 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Surely a composer can bring a fresh and unbiased perspective when called to see the rough cut and that's exactly what happened with Williams and Jaws. It's known that Spielberg temped several scenes with Williams' Images, as he wanted to give the shark a somewhat "supernatural" musical accompaniment, but it was Williams who dissuaded him from going such a route. "No no no, Steven baby boy, that's wrong! You made a pirate movie!". I think it's very telling about how a director like Spielberg trusts his collaborator and let him express his own aesthetic view, especially if we consider it was only their own second collaboration.

Quite. It seems that the two hit it off immediately and after the nerve-racking experience of shooting the film, the music production must have been like a well deserved holiday for Spielberg.:)

On 10/12/2016 at 0:56 PM, Pieter_Boelen said:

Was there an official intermission/entr'acte written for the film? Were those ever recorded? :blink:

No no no, of course not. I just meant that surely ones will be created, like most all of these LTP concerts.

On 10/11/2016 at 6:51 PM, Will said:

Hoping they'll play some of the Jaws 2 End Title/End Cast as the first half closing or entr'acte. 

Here's the official press release btw:

http://filmconcertslive.com/2587-2/

That would be fantastic!

When I saw Raiders live to orchestra at the BSO this past summer they played 'The Adventures of Mutt.'

I would've loved Short Round's Theme for that, maybe other showings got something else?

Overall, I can't wait!

50 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

That would be fantastic!

When I saw Raiders live to orchestra at the BSO this past summer they played 'The Adventures of Mutt.'

I would've loved Short Round's Theme for that, maybe other showings got something else?

Overall, I can't wait!

All of them did Mutt. The CSO did that when I went and I believe there was a poster here who saw the Boston Pops play it, as well.

On 10/12/2016 at 2:17 AM, crocodile said:

Williams' quote from this very release.

“It’s thrilling for both Steven and me to realize that this unique film still captures the imagination of viewers after so many years, and that audiences now can enjoy the movie live in concert, accompanied by a great orchestra,” said the composer. “This is the greatest possible reward for the joyous and fun-filled task of making it.”

Karol

Very insightful. Press releases always have the best quotes. ;)

On 10/12/2016 at 5:58 AM, crocodile said:

No, they never play source music. But yeah, it would have been funny. :lol:

Karol

Aw, darn. 

• 1 month later...

The Chicago Symphony Orchestra will perform this in June!!!!!!! :woop:

It was crazy how I found out -- I was at the CSO's E.T. concert last night and Richard Kauffman was making some pre-remarks. He said, "I just want to tell you about some other concerts we have planned here," and I'm thinking like, O.K., it's going to be Amadeus and North by Northwest, neither of which I have seen or plan to go to the live to projection concerts for. I'd of course read all the schedules and I knew what was coming -- or so I thought. He indeed said those, but then he said, "And, finally, the classic feel good summer movie, Jaws." 

I sat bold upright and said, "They're doing Jaws?!" and then I kept repeating to my dad, "They must have just announced this, they must have just announced this" -- I'm not used to being surprised about anything JW. :lol:

What a way to find out. I was in a great mood as the E.T. show finally started.

There's no way I'm missing this. Not going to get tickets quite yet, though. 

Here's the link if anyone's interested:

(this is the first of three performances)

http://cso.org/ticketsandevents/production-details-2016-17/scp-specials/jaws-in-concert-jun-28-30/

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/11/2016 at 3:49 PM, Will said:

It was crazy how I found out -- I was at the CSO's E.T. concert last night and Richard Kauffman was making some pre-remarks. He said, "I just want to tell you about some other concerts we have planned here," and I'm thinking like, O.K., it's going to be Amadeus and North by Northwest, neither of which I have seen or plan to go to the live to projection concerts for. I'd of course read all the schedules and I knew what was coming -- or so I thought. He indeed said those, but then he said, "And, finally, the classic feel good summer movie, Jaws." 

You may know this already, Will, but Richard Kaufman was one of the violinists who played on the original soundtrack for Jaws.  It will therefore be extra special to see him conduct the score live to picture.

Incidentally, the title of this trailer tantalisingly references the Royal Albert Hall in London.  No doubt this will make an appearance in London eventually, but I wonder when exactly?  The BBC Proms run from 14th July to 9th September, so it is very unlikely to fall in that period.