JAWS - Live To Projection Concerts (5 minutes unused music restored to picture)

crocodile

44 minutes ago, Omen II said:

You may know this already, Will, but Richard Kaufman was one of the violinists who played on the original soundtrack for Jaws.  It will therefore be extra special to see him conduct the score live to picture.

I did know that, but I'd never thought about the significance regarding him conducting this. Cool!

• 5 weeks later...
Jaws_OceanBG_Title_RED_cropped345.jpg

Jaws in Concert at Tanglewood

Tanglewood

Koussevitzky Music Shed - Lenox, MA - View Map

The original summer movie blockbuster, directed by Steven Spielberg, with an Academy Award®-winning score that made John Williams a household name, Jaws is the ultimate film-with-live-orchestra experience! Join Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops as they perform the entire score in sync with one of the greatest motion pictures of all time.

Tickets go on sale January 29 10am

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/85532/

Maybe they should record this LIVE movie concert the way it was done with E.T with John Williams, many years ago.I mean its Keith Lokhart after all and he is a terrific conductor  .Reissue the movie on Bluray for the 45th Anniversary Celebration someday as an alternate track.

You northern hemisphere dwellers are so lucky! 

We've never had any live-to-projection performances down here (as far as I know).

Very jealous...

Coming to Toronto in March of 2018

MARCH 2018

21MARJAWScity: Toronto, ON 7:30 pm Roy Thomson HallOrchestra: Toronto Symphony Orchestrabuytixbutt.png

22MARJAWScity: Toronto, ON 7:30 pm Roy Thomson HallOrchestra: Toronto Symphony Orchestrabuytixbutt.png

23MARJAWScity: Toronto, ON 7:30 pm Roy Thomson HallOrchestra: Toronto Symphony Orchestrabuytixbutt.png

On 12.10.2016 at 2:05 PM, Stefancos said:

Remember the first part of Blown To Bits was dailed out in the film also. And Quint Meets His End. If that's included you could easily come up to 5 minutes.

The music would fuck up the Quint scene, to discard it was the only right way to go.

Most everyone attending these concerts have already seen the ffilm, many already know when the music starts and stops in it; Adding music for the concerts is kind of a win-win.  No one's editing music back into the film on your blu ray

2 hours ago, Jay said:

No one's editing music back into the film on your blu ray

True, but it would be awesome if a live recording was made for inclusion as a 5.1 or 7.1 isolated music track.

Didn't the 20th Anniversary DVD of E.T. have something along those lines?

Wait, the 20th anniversary DVD had an isolated score track featuring the live-to-projection performance?  How did I not know about this?  Was this feature carried over to the 30th anniversary blu ray?

According to the specs and the review from thedigitalbits, it is 5.1:

Disc One: 2002 20th Anniversary Edition
120 mins, PG, letterboxed widescreen (1.85:1), 16x9 enhanced, custom 2-disc gatefold packaging, single-sided, RSDL dual-layered (layer switch at 1:03:19 in chapter 12), introduction by Steven Spielberg, featurette, full-length audio of John Williams performing the score live at the 2002 premiere (DD 5.1), planetary facts with commentary provided by E.T., animated film-themed menu screens with sound, scene access (20 chapters), languages: English (DD 5.1 EX & DTS 6.1 ES) and French (DD 5.1 EX), subtitles: English and Spanish, Closed Captioned

I haven't watched that DVD in years, but as far as I recall, it's not an isolated score track, it's the film audio (dialogue and sfx) with the live performance of the score, just as the audience at that concert would have heard it. Plus occasional applause, especially during the end credits (don't remembers if also during the film).

Just now, ChrisAfonso said:

I haven't watched that DVD in years, but as far as I recall, it's not an isolated score track, it's the film audio (dialogue and sfx) with the live performance of the score, just as the audience at that concert would have heard it. Plus occasional applause, especially during the end credits (don't remembers if also during the film).

Ah I see.  But still, I somehow didn't know about it.  Research has brought up that sadly that audio track was not carried over to the 30th anniversary blu-ray:

Missing from the previous releases (other than the 2002 special edition version of the film) is the introduction by Spielberg himself, the isolated score track, the interactive tour of space with E.T., the re-release trailer and the swag from the DVD Gift Set

https://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/et-anniversary-ed

Just now, Stefancos said:

No, thats the original version of the film, not the CGI enhanced walkie talkie version 

Yeah, a logical explanation for why it wasn't.  Still kind of a shame.  I only saw that 20th anniversary butchered version once.  It was painful to watch.  That would also explain why I didn't know about the live performance audio track.

24 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Shitty CGI ET is painful.  Every change in that version was for the worse.

It's the coexistence of the two models that is painfull to watch. In one hand you have a puppet that can barely move, and in another, a super cheesy and flexible CGI model.

It was the same problem with Yoda and with C3PO. You start from characters which have very limited movements and flexibilty, but when the "kids" create the CGI, clap, everything moves like there is no more limitations.

Sorry, it don't work. Yoda's ears don't move, they are in rubber and C3PO don't walk like he's on a cloud.

FINALLY its official! Jaws Live To Projection concert will actually premiere in Boston at Symphony Hall, ahead of theTanglewood performance, on Thursday May 25 and Friday May 26! 

http://groupevents.bostonpops.org/uploads/files/Spring Pops/2017 Spring Pops/POPS17_GS_Brochure.pdf

We're going to the Thursday one! 

Really?  The Jaws Concerts are May 25-26 and the Film Night concerts are May 31-June 1.  You would only have to spend 1 week in the area to attend both!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Really?  The Jaws Concerts are May 25-26 and the Film Night concerts are May 31-June 1.  You would only have to spend 1 week in the area to attend both!

I know! But very tricky both work wise and financially.

Is the audience allowed to record bits from these concerts via mobile phones? Or the few bits and excerpts posted online usually illegal??

4 hours ago, azahid said:

Is the audience allowed to record bits from these concerts via mobile phones?

No. 

4 hours ago, azahid said:

Or the few bits and excerpts posted online usually illegal??

Yes. 

The staff at Symphony Hall will take your camera (phone) if they observe you using it to record video.

If they notice videos of their performances on youtube, they will tell youtube to have them removed.

Of course police won't be involved at all, no.

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Can they legally confiscate your camera without giving it back?

Probably, because it's probably in the terms of service for the ticket. 

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

You can get it back at the end of the performance I'm sure.

Yeah.

You almost had a run in yourself with the concert staff at Richmond recently, isn't that right? ;)

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Can they legally confiscate your camera without giving it back?

They give it back after the show, of course.

51 minutes ago, Will said:

Yeah.

You almost had a run in yourself with the concert staff at Richmond recently, isn't that right? ;)

Yup. Usher walking up and down the aisles just gave me a stern look and pointed at me.  Felt exactly like when I was a kid getting caught doing something against the rules in class, haha.

Luckily I was all the way at the end of the row against a wall so confiscation would've been very disruptive.

• 3 weeks later...

Jaws is coming to the Royal Albert Hall in October!  Dirk Brosse conducts the BBC Concert Orchestra.

Jaws In Concert

Those proportions are correct.  This quote from the blurb is also of interest:

Jaws in Concert will reinstate three superb pieces of music written by John Williams for the 1975 film, but ultimately excised from the finished product. These have been restored to the movie with the permission of Spielberg and the composer.

Who, the orchestra?  Why in the world would they play that?

It will come through the speakers with the rest of the film's audio.

• 2 months later...

So!

Marcy and I are going to the world premiere of JAWS Live to Projection, tomorrow night in Boston!

Can't wait!

Is anybody else from JWFan going tomorrow night?

59 minutes ago, Jay said:

So!

Marcy and I are going to the world premiere of JAWS Live to Projection, tomorrow night in Boston!

Can't wait!

Is anybody else from JWFan going tomorrow night?

I'll be there Friday night!