How often do you go to the cinema?

Nick1Ø66

How often do you go to the cinema?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you go to the cinema?

• Never! Too many crying babies.
    • 1-2 times/month. I'm a casual cinema goer.
    • 3-4 times/month. I'm true cinephile. You can't replace the cinema experience at home.
    • 5+ times/month. I have no life outside the cinema. Cinema is my life.
    • Like Nick1066, I only go when it's something special. Otherwise I can't be bothered.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

If you, as a 30-something adult man, goes to see a kiddie movie all alone, it might raise an eyebrow or two.

Hehehe, and you speak from experience, right? Hehehehe!

Not necessarily, and, frankly, I just don't care.

I saw both INSIDE OUT, and THE GOOD DINOSAUR, on my own, last year, surrounded by parents and children, and I loved it!

As someone who has a professional interest in children, I took pleasure in watching these films, with families, and by watching (or rather, listening to) their reactions.

If I want to watch a film, I'll watch it, and I won't give a flying fuck about who's there.

37 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Oh man I completely forgot about Independence Day Resurgence, I saw that too.  Holy fuck what a disaster, no wonder I wiped it from my memory.  Adding it to my list above.

It aches to think that the sequel to one of the biggest Hollywood triumphs of the 1990s, guided by almost the same team, could be one of the biggest stinkers of the 2010s.

This has been the year for me (put a * by the ones I saw alone :P)

January

Joy, Brooklyn, The Revenant, Carol*

February

Room, Hail Caesar!, Where to Invade Next, 45 Years*, Son of Saul*

March

Creed, Anomalisa*, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 (Mom's birthday, shut up!)

May

Purple Rain* (only one in the theater :(), Captain America: Civil War

July

The BFG, Finding Dory, Cafe Society, The Legend of Tarzan*, Star Trek Beyond

August

Sausage Party, Kubo and the Two Strings

September

Ghostbusters, Pete's Dragon

Think I'm gonna try and see Hell or High Water today or tomorrow. Might also see Sully, Bourne, and/or Magnificent Seven before they leave theaters.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Hehehe, and you speak from experience, right? Hehehehe!

He, he.....no, not really. Although once I was supposed to write about a new kiddie film, but missed the press screening. I got a 'free ticket' to the regular screening, but told my editor I refused to go alone. So I brought both him and another colleague with me for the screening. The usher had to smile when three adult guys suddenly appeared in front of him, between the plethora of screaming kids, candy and stressed-out moms. :D 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The only time I've been literally the only person in a movie theater was for a 10pm showing of Under the Skin.  Believe me it made that movie even more creepy as fuck.

I think the film where it was most effective that I was the only one there was All is Lost haha. 

12 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Yeah, not gonna happen.

Rogue One may generate a bit more discussion than your usual film score (since we have a few Giacchino fanboys here, and it's SW), but it won't be near the level of discussion we got for TFA. And Fantastic Beasts? Yeah, not gonna happen.

:(

Oh well. I guess I can try to prepare myself. 

12 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Well, now that people have voted under the cloak of anonymity, I would not want to out them! In particular I don't want to embarrass whoever admitted to having no life outside cinema. ☺

You're right, that is probably best, just to be safe. 

On 11/10/2016 at 8:00 PM, Richard Penna said:

Since when was it normal to see a film by yourself?

Sure isn't in the UK.

Plus I can pause and rewind at home, when I've chosen an incomprehensible film.

Eh? I'm single, but none of my friends are so pretty much every time I go it's by myself ... doesn't bother me in the slightest and I see others doing it too. If there's still a stigma attached, it's news to me.

I really don't go to movies by myself, the last one was the second time I saw An Unexpected Journey, just because I wanted to see what the 3D HFR looked like (for the first and last time).  That said, I never felt uncomfortable about it, and if there's a social stigma attached to it, it's a ridiculous one.

I nearly went to see A Walk in the Woods, but sort of forgot, and ended up renting it as usual.

Aside from the social aspect, I actually rather enjoy watching films in the privacy of home. There are endless advantages - eating my own food, pausing, shazamming if I like the music. Plus no one notices if you 'lose it' during emotional bits.

Essentially, if I can live with being 6 months or so behind everyone else, everything is available, and with a less hyped consensus on how good the film is (although most of the time I ignore critics anyway). It's also a hell of a lot cheaper - £8 a month (unlimited discs) rather than £8 per film.

Undecided on an option as such. For the past couple of years I think I've averaged maybe two films a year. A question of money, time and the prospect of getting pissed by someone being on their phone or talking. I guess it's something special lately to get me out -Beyond and Seven Days in May this year, Rogue One soon...

Well, we'll go for the latter option then.

Conclusion: If you want JWfanners to go to the movies, release Star Wars movies on a monthly basis.

PS: Something with dragons will also do.

On 10/11/2016 at 3:09 PM, mrbellamy said:

Only time I would feel lame going alone is if it's something that I know other people in my life would want to see. Like I would never go see Star Wars opening weekend by myself if everyone happened to be busy, I could wait. But I wasn't exactly going to wait around to drag somebody to Saul fia, Carol, and 45 Years..

This is my philosophy as well. I've seen a handful of films alone, and while I used to fear that judgement of seeing a movie alone when I was younger, I couldn't care less anymore. I love the theater experience and hope it never dies, but frankly I think I've only been to 2 or 3 films this year. Each passing one I've been going less and less, due to a combination of a lack of interesting films and a preference to spend my free time doing other things. I did want to check out a few films over the summer but again, time never permit. Right now I want to try and make it to an IMAX screening of Voyage Of Time, if I can.

There have been no films out lately that I've wanted to see anyway. Whereas right now I have Me, Earl and the Dying GirlThe Nightmare, and The Big Short on my desk ready to watch, with another 10 or so on my rental list.

Perusing Amazon's rentals list is rather fun too - I like choosing by subject/actors, etc, and not what critics think. Several times now I've watched a good indie film without having any ides what audiences or critics thought.

In the first half of the year, I went to the theater quite often for me, much more than I normally do. It was a little more than monthly, nearly ten times in total. Since then I've only been a couple times, and there are only a few movies coming out in the rest of the year that I anticipate I'll see in the theater. I do really enjoy going, but it does tend to be expensive and can be difficult to coordinate. 

-There is absolutely nothing wrong with going to the cinema by yourself, and I have no idea why RichUK thinks there is.  If you want to see a movie, just go, man!

-When you create a poll, you can either make the votes public or private then.  As soon as one person votes, you can't change it to the other way.

-I used to go ALL THE time - I worked in a movie theater for a while, and literally saw EVERY movie that came out from ~May -> December 2001, that was a trip.  Before and after then I went frequently, basically seeing any movie I was interested in.  But lately its all changed, and now I probably go.... I dunno, 6-10 times a year.  I'd like to go more, I just never have the time.  Plus, all my friends are all married with children, so also never have the time, so there's less group trips than ever before

Only about once or twice a year, and some years only once or none.

I was a big big cinema goer in my late teens to early 20s. Petrol was cheap, ticket prices were reasonable.

Now it has to be something I really really really want to specifically see in the cinema, to cinema go these days.