Michael Giacchino's JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM (2018)

Max

So J.A. Bayona, the director of Jurassic World 2, posted this on Twitter for Giacchino's birthday yesterday. Could this be a confirmation that Giacchino is returning for Jurassic World 2, which will be the fifth movie in the franchise (hence the hand)? I really, really hope so!!

Hold on! MG quoted ST:V, in JW?! 

2 hours ago, Max said:

So J.A. Bayona, the director of Jurassic World 2, posted this on Twitter for Giacchino's birthday yesterday. Could this be a confirmation that Giacchino is returning for Jurassic World 2, which will be the fifth movie in the franchise (hence the hand)? I really, really hope so!!

Do we have to talk to that?

If that is indeed a veiled confirmation from Bayona, that's pretty disappointing. I had hoped for Velazquez to be at least ONE beacon of light in the sad direction the franchise has taken.

• 2 months later...

Well if the Han Solo spinoff doesn't move from May to Dec, then he probably can't score that AND this, then

EDIT: Oh, the "source" if that article is this:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/rogue-one-composer-filling-john-williams-shoes-pleasing-marvel-franchise-fans-956179

And if you read that, MG himself doesn't confirm it, the text of the article just mentions it as an upcoming project... and they certainly could be wrong about that (IE they just saw it on wikipedia or something)

It's possible they just asked Gia what films he had coming up on his slate, so they could rail them off in the first paragraph. A bit like that paragraph in the Hollywood Reporter (?) article the other week casually mentioning JW was starting sessions for VIII in December.

Certainly no huge shock if he is doing JW2 but I'm getting a bit tired of his scores starting to blend together into obscurity.

Spanish composers that have gone to hollywood in recent times have been forced to leave their styles in order to create more appealing score (some even mediaventurish). So Velazquez output could not be a representation of what a score would sound like...

44 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Spanish composers that have gone to hollywood in recent times have been forced to leave their styles in order to create more appealing score (some even mediaventurish). So Velazquez output could not be a representation of what a score would sound like...

True, but in this case, we're talking about a composer who has previously worked with the director on many projects.

14 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

True, but in this case, we're talking about a composer who has previously worked with the director on many projects.

Yes, but this is not a Bayona film, it is a Universal/Legendary/Amblin/Marshall film.

If sure that if Velazqued did it they would probably want an orchestral score like all 4 films...but you never know with hollywood executives...

4 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Yes, but this is not a Bayona film, it is a Universal/Legendary/Amblin/Marshall film.

If sure that if Velazqued did it they would probably want an orchestral score like all 4 films...but you never know with hollywood executives...

Well, Spielberg, Kennedy and Trevorrow are producing, so... orchestral all the way. I´m sorry for Velazquez, but I´m happy with these news.

I'd much rather a fresh approach from a new composer on the Jurassic series. I'm Giacchino'd out.

I'm finding his scores less and less appealing with every film he does; he brings very little new material to the table. When he isn't trying to imitate Williams he's recycling the same tired string writing and piano solos.

A bit sad because I used to be a huge fan of his work in the Ratatouille days. Unfortunately though, his writing hasn't really advanced over the years and, if anything, it's become more generic over time. Maybe it's just a reflection of what filmmakers expect from composers now? His Pixar scores are consistently more inspired than his other film music though, so there's merit in this theory.

Being a little mean, but yeah, I'd say both Brian Tyler and Michael just can't say 'no' nowadays. With Brian it got to the point where he started officially sharing credits with his assistants.

• 1 year later...
16 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

"We Claire a Lot", "Claire Eats an Eclair", "So Dearing to My Heart"...there you go, Mike. You can use my cue titles!

Wouldn't it be better to have 'Eclair Eats a Claire'? ;)

Karol

16 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Wouldn't it be better to have 'Eclair Eats a Claire'? ;)

Karol

Tell me what kind of plot this movie had again? :blink:

1 hour ago, toothless said:

The video game score of course. ;)

It really wasn't an interesting enough theme the first time and he's bringing it back? And another lazy regurgitation of the french horn solo from the JP theme? Come on Michael, you can do much better than this.

Hoped he might take some inspiration from how Williams approached TLW after JP.

Yeah, yeah, only one minute out of a 100 minute score, I know.