Michael Giacchino's JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM (2018)

Max

I zoned out 20 minutes into the soundtrack. 

As usual with Giacchino, starts strong, ends strong, and plods along in streamlined boredom in between.

Desert Chase reference was neat.

Wow, the way the brass was recorded (and played) completely blew my mind. It's very much LOTR-esque ( it feels like the brass was recorded inside a huge spacious hall) and brass in LOTR is the ONLY great example (imo) of how the brass should be handled,

... especially in track "Go With the Pyroclastic Flow", at these marks:

00:00 - 00:14 & 1:01 - 1:15 (the arrangement of the fallen kingdom theme here reminds me of Mount Doom motif in LOTR)

1:39 - 1:55 (reminds me of some of the brass play in Shelob cues)

2:07 - 2:15 ( my favourite bit. it really reminds me of the Orc motif)

2:59 - 3:08

3:12 - 3:25 ( the brass counterplay, it screams Orc!)

Kudos to Giacchino and team here!

EDIT: Well i just realized, this music plays on the volcano eruption scene, so the Mt.Doom connection is not so irrelevant afterall

Yea, the brass really sounds great!

It does not ever sound LOTR-esque to me, though

No Lost World quotes this time then?

Too bad... I had kind-of been hoping for some more of that, since the film seems more inspired by Lost World this time around...

5 hours ago, gkgyver said:

What? Where?

11 hours ago, gkgyver said:

6 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

What? Where?

2:06 of Raptor Your Heart Out from the first score

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

2:06 of Raptor Your Heart Out from the first score

Ah, I forgot to specify which Lost World. I meant the Williams one, but any reference to either of them is always welcome.

I had hoped for at least one more in Fallen Kingdom...

15 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Ah, I forgot to specify which Lost World. I meant the Williams one, but any reference to either of them is always welcome.

I had hoped for at least one more in Fallen Kingdom...

What?   I was answering your question about where the Desert Chase reference was.  It's at 2:06 of Raptor Your Heart Out.

There are no The Lost World references on the  Fallen Kingdom OST album.

Declaration of Indo-Pendence is easily my favorite action track of the year after the best Solo ones

The action music in this is definitely much stronger than usual for Giacchino, though I've felt no reason to compare it to Solo. What I anticipated with a John Powell Star Wars score is a very different expectation than what I ask for in a fun Jurassic score, and both have made me very happy for different reasons!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Declaration of Indo-Pendence is easily my favorite action track of the year after the best Solo ones

This is totally influenced from "the raptors appear" from the lost world soundtrack! Awesome

3 hours ago, Jay said:

What?   I was answering your question about where the Desert Chase reference was.  It's at 2:06 of Raptor Your Heart Out.

Now I'm REALLY confused. Raptor Your Heart Out is from the first Jurassic World, right?

And we're talking about a reference to the Desert Chase from Indiana Jones?

I only hear a reference to Giacchino's own Raptor Theme from his Lost World game score there (heard in The Forest Explodes), which I thought was what you meant.

Not sure how you're so confused. Does this help? 

On 6/12/2015 at 5:06 PM, leeallen01 said:

At 2:06 in Raptor Your Heart Out, it does share similarities to a few moments in the Desert Chase sequence. I hear no direct quotes, but tiny moments at 1:57 and 2:06 do remind me heavily of Williamsisms.

On 6/13/2015 at 11:56 PM, peter.anschutz said:

I just came back from seeing Jurassic World, and I wanted to chime in on a mini discussion that occurred a few pages ago.

I think there is indeed a musical reference to the truck chase scene and "Desert Chase" track of Raiders of the Lost Ark during the truck/raptor chase scene in this film. The scene in Jurassic World is almost certainly a homage to Raiders, just one of several homages to non-Jurassic Park films contained in JW. The musical reference occurs in "Raptor Your Heart Out" at 2:06-2:11, and corresponds to 2:22-2:32 of "Desert Chase." The onscreen action in JW is basically the same as what happens in Raiders, except Claire replaces Indy and the raptors replace the Nazis. Just as Indy forces the Nazis driving beside the truck into the trees, Claire does the same with the raptors running alongside her truck. I think the musical reference occurs specifically during the shot of the raptor in the side-view mirror, which is the same shot in Raiders. I have to assume the musical reference is intended to further invoke that scene from Raiders.

On 6/14/2015 at 12:09 AM, Jay said:

Hmmm so around 2:40 in this video then

On 6/14/2015 at 12:22 AM, peter.anschutz said:

I'd actually say 3:55-4:05 is the closest parallel to Jurassic World/Raiders scene and score.

On 6/14/2015 at 12:26 AM, Jay said:

Yea, I forgot that horn rip played twice

On 6/14/2015 at 6:19 AM, leeallen01 said:

I did mention this exact thing and the exact time stamps of the brass riffs about 2 days ago.

I haven't finished, but it is at least interesting. But I can't be the only person who is tired of Giacchino stretching out high brass notes every 3-4 seconds of every action cue to generate excitement? That is basically his one trick.  

I'm not impressed by my first listen (and I'm a certified Giacchino fanboy, my wife made my a doll of him!). I know lots of good scores are 'growers', but I felt a stark contrast to Powell's Solo, which leaps forth in its energy, musicality and off-screen storytelling, and had immediate impact on me, as well as being 'a grower'.

I am hearing lots of Roar-style monsterisms, lots of Lost-isms, noisy and forceful action music, and not much musical prowess. So far I rate Rogue One higher than this, and he had more to time to score Fallen Kingdom (I assume).

However, I can see there's some enjoyment of this score in this thread so I won't give up on this score yet (as I did Ready Player One:blink:) and am giving it more listens through.

Does anyone have a highlights tracklist to recommend?

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Not sure how you're so confused. Does this help? 

Thanks.

I listened to all those timestamps though, and the reference remains elusive to me.

I suppose I'll just have to live with only hearing the Lost World game theme in that track...

I watched the movie yesterday and it was a lot of fun. Really entertaining. And the score had some really great moments where you could hear it on top of the SFX (unlike what happened with Solo). And the choir was pretty noticeable in a lot of scenes. In the movie there was at least one more queote of the Indominus material at the very beginning, and also a really similar version of the Island Fanfare to the one of the first JW at the end of Cosat Rica Stand-Off.

And about the new themes, I think more or less I have figured out what they represent.

-Well, there is the Fallen Kingdom that appears a lot in many different scenes, so it's like a new main theme that ties all together.

-The twinkly theme I think it's an identity of its own because from what I remeber, in the movie played several times on its own, without the Fallen Kingdom theme. I think it could represent Maisie or maybe it could be a Family Lockwood theme. But from what I remember it also played in some Indo Raptor scenes. But anyway, don't take my word on it because I don't remeber exactly. And the theme has more appearances on the movie than it does on the album, but most of them are really similar to the appearance of the theme in the suite.

-The march theme is definetly a theme for Wheatly and his team, like the match from the previous movie was a theme for Hoskins and InGen.

-And the quiet theme is a theme for Owen and Blue, that also plays in other scene with more dinosaurs.

And I think the suite is more or less the same as the credits from the movie.

19 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

Wow, the way the brass was recorded (and played) completely blew my mind. It's very much LOTR-esque ( it feels like the brass was recorded inside a huge spacious hall) and brass in LOTR is the ONLY great example (imo) of how the brass should be handled,

... especially in track "Go With the Pyroclastic Flow", at these marks:

00:00 - 00:14 & 1:01 - 1:15 (the arrangement of the fallen kingdom theme here reminds me of Mount Doom motif in LOTR)

1:39 - 1:55 (reminds me of some of the brass play in Shelob cues)

2:07 - 2:15 ( my favourite bit. it really reminds me of the Orc motif)

2:59 - 3:08

3:12 - 3:25 ( the brass counterplay, it screams Orc!)

Kudos to Giacchino and team here!

EDIT: Well i just realized, this music plays on the volcano eruption scene, so the Mt.Doom connection is not so irrelevant afterall

I also had some LOTR vibes throughout this score. Some definite similar flavours in brass writing especially

Also I noticed that Giacchino's new Fallen Kingdom theme reminds me of Shore's theme for 'Gandalf the White' during some of the variations he takes.

Listen to 1:18 below. That crescendo is SOOO Shore's LOTR. I almost expect it to go into 'Gandalf the White' as he charges with the Rohirrim down the slope towards Helms Deep.

And listen to the choir at 1:00 - 1:15. It screams Shore's Dwarvish Choir.

I really wouldnt mind if any composers imitated LOTR, foremost and especially for the brass. If you got to steal, at least stole it from the very best.

What a prime week for film music!

I received it today, forgot I had it on pre-order and forgot to cancel. But hey, I'll keep it for completeness sake. As before, it is a digipack. But then, that's not a surprise given that all the Back Lot Music releases are. Front of the booklet has a more traditional JP design.

IMG_20180616_174705107_HDR.jpg

Karol

Nice! I prefer that cover slot more. So the bonus tracks are not included inside other tracks right? 

Oh wait...the Digipack has the cover with the gyrospere attack..and the booklet has the traditional cover...damn.

16 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Nice! I prefer that cover slot more. So the bonus tracks are not included inside other tracks right? 

Oh wait...the Digipack has the cover with the gyrospere attack..and the booklet has the traditional cover...damn.

No, they are not included. In all honesty, the CD clocks at around 76 minutes without them anyway.

And yes, it is the booklet front cover that I posted.

Karol

Tower Records in Dublin didn’t have it in stock today. They never got Jurassic World in either. Weird. They generally get Gia scores but not the Jurassics apparently. 

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

They have a decent selection of soundtrack vinyls.

They do but they’re a bit pricey. 

3 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

I really wouldnt mind if any composers imitated LOTR, foremost and especially for the brass. If you got to steal, at least stole it from the very best.

A skin of Shore does not make up for a Giacchino pulp.

33 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Tower Records in Dublin didn’t have it in stock today. They never got Jurassic World in either. Weird. They generally get Gia scores but not the Jurassics apparently. 

I don't think the regular stores will keep those. I don't think Back Lot Music stuff gets here. HMV don't list those at all.

Karol

Just now, crocodile said:

I don't think the regular stores will keep those. I don't think Back Lot Music stuff gets here. HMV don't list those at all.

Karol

I’ll just pick it up online!

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Wait, Tower Records still exists???

First proper listen, and have now identified the memorised his new main theme. I'm liking it enough that I just added it to my Amazon basket.

Maisie and the Island is particularly beautiful and I'm hearing some Lost in track 2.

I have no problems with Giacchino continuing with JP :)

One of these days, when I'm bored enough, I'll photoshop the soundtrack cover of a Michael Giacchino score and replace the credit with "Music by John Williams", then send it to someone particularly naive. :P

Truth be told, I'd say both Powell and Giacchino gave Williams a run for his money this year.

We have tickets for 10:10 am to giacchinos latest noise! 

Gia never gives John a run for his money and powell did only by using so much of  John's music! 

Okay, so the album is now out.  You can confirm the album contains parts of the JW themes?  I will add it to my discography

EDIT: Ok, I just saw Jay's post.

Added!

http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/composer/themes.htm

p_blm0725.jpg

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom [Original Motion Picture Soundtrack] (2018, Backlot Music, BLM0725)

Music Composed by Michael Giacchino, Original Jurassic Park Themes by John Williams.