Michael Giacchino's JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM (2018)

Max

This track is very weak. Big simple chords played REALLY LOUD FOR DRAMA. Nah, he tried harder in the first one. As someone once said about his Trek: it's orchestral, sure, but not really symphonic.

Karol

I'm listening to This Title Makes Me Jurassic on a loop.  It's not very inspired.

^^

Well...

..can i say... that..the sample..is rather nice?

But i stand by my point that the "inspired-by-classic-monster-movie" main theme is rather uninspired (the theme progression especially) and generic ( equal to Elfman on autopilot mode)

But now i get the point why Giacchino chose that direction ( complete with Choir and pipe organ!), because the whole point of this part of the series is how human play God, and experiment with creatures, just like Frankenstein

But still, uninspiring, period.

Thats odd. There's two extra tracks on there.

Must be the opposite of what happened with the first soundtrack, where two preview tracks were combined into one

I think track 14 has what replaced the Ingen theme

ehh

Indoraptor theme is kinda neat I guess

18 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Ew. I hate the segment from 1:16-1:45 so much. The rest of it is fine though. Has a somewhat old monster movie feel to me

Talk about different tastes - I really like that segment!

Not a bad first preview. If that's his big theme at the end, it sounds quite good.

3 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Talk about different tastes - I really like that segment!

Not a bad first preview. If that's his big theme at the end, it sounds quite good.

To each their own! Lol.

Lots of choir in those iTunes samples!  I like how lengthy they are, too.  I heard a lot of stuff I liked, especially the reworkings of the previous film's themes.

The iTunes track listing has two more tracks than what Film Music Reporter reported.  Digital-only bonus tracks, bad reporting, or something else?

Film Music Reporter:

1. This Title Makes Me Jurassic
2. The Theropod Preservation Society
3. Maisie and the Island
4. March of the Wheatley Cavalcade
5. Nostalgia-Saurus
6. Lava Land
7. Keep Calm and Baryonyx
8. Go With the Pyroclastic Flow
9. Raiders of the Lost Isla Nublar
10. Volcano to Death
11. Operation Blue Blood
12. Jurassic Pillow Talk
13. How to Pick a Lockwood
14. Wilting Iris
15. Shock and Auction
16. Thus Begins the Indo-Rapture
17. You Can Be So Hard-Headed
18. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Free
19. There’?s Something About Maisie
20. World’?s Worst Bedtime Storyteller
21. Declaration of Indo-Pendence
22. To Free Or Not to Free
23. The Neo-Jurassic Age
24. At Jurassic World’?s End Credits Suite

iTunes:

1 This Title Makes Me Jurassic 2:54
2 The Theropod Preservation Society 3:47
3 Maisie and the Island 2:07
4 March of the Wheatley Cavalcade 2:14
5 Nostalgia-Saurus 1:05
6 Double Cross to Bear 2:31
7 Lava Land 3:16
8 Keep Calm and Baryonyx 2:46
9 Go With the Pyroclastic Flow 3:43
10 Gyro Can You Go? 2:16
11 Raiders of the Lost Isla Nublar 3:20
12 Volcano to Death 1:38
13 Operation Blue Blood 3:43
14 Jurassic Pillow Talk 2:47
15 How to Pick a Lockwood 3:10
16 Wilting Iris 1:11
17 Shock and Auction 2:28
18 Thus Begins the Indo-Rapture 3:41
19 You Can Be So Hard-Headed 2:28
20 Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Free 3:29
21 There's Something About Maisie 1:20
22 World's Worst Bedtime Storyteller 2:27
23 Declaration of Indo-Pendence 4:02
24 To Free or Not to Free 3:00
25 The Neo-Jurassic Age 3:33
26 At Jurassic World's End Credits/Suite 10:55

like I said, maybe they split up some larger tracks into smaller sections

going by my memory and the titles, track 6 to 12 go right after one and the other, with no music missing in between

(or even silence in between tracks)

Or they discovered they had some extra space, and wanted to make use of it

I am surprised they pretty much skipped the big reprise of Owens theme 

(Less surprised they again skipped the visitor center cue)

Heard the whole score. :)

(Not going to bother to read the responses here, just want to say this and then take my exit)

Guys.

I love this SO MUCH more than Jurassic World's score (and OST) that I don't ever want to bother hearing JW again. I want to just toss that album in the garbage compared to this.

It naturally pales to Powell's Solo, but by Giacchino standards, I'm finding this to be nothing short of delicious. 

Particularly worth mentioning is that the sound quality/recording, orchestrations and arrangements are SO much better than in JW. In fact, funnily enough, this score has so much more energy to a point where it has more in common with his Lost World/Warpath video game music than his Jurassic World music.

This is SO much more fun to listen to than JW ever was. So much more fun to eat up! I don't listen to Giacchino all that much (and as mentioned before, I only go along with the anti-Giacchino snark here just out of obligation more than anything), so who knows, this probably is below-average as usual for you guys. I'm only hearing a MUCH more fun, much more energetic and lively work than Jurassic World. 

This score was everything I wanted out of the last score and then some. This score is reminding and embodying for me why I love Jurassic music so much and always have. Reminded as to why Jurassic music is to me what Star Wars is to you guys. I love the flavor, the atmosphere, whatever you want to call it. I love this. I'm so happy with this. Thank you, Mike sir, wherever you are. I'm sorry I ever made jokes about you just to go along with these guys because I'm lonely and want them to like me. No more of that. You're an alright chap. This will be my second favorite album of this year after Solo.

3 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Heard the whole score. :)

How'd you manage to do that?

Well I should be more specific and say samples of every track are out in the UK iTunes store, as an online friend from that area showed me. But from that alone, I get the gist. Sorry, should have clarified that earlier. I was not a sane healthy man when typing this nonsense.

Yea, you basically lied lol

Yea we were talking about the iTunes samples earlier on this page

It's not just UK itunes, it is on all the Ituneses.  You can play them over and over again all you want wherever you live without special tricks

I liked a lot of what I heard, and was surprised by how much choir there was

Ooooh, pft. Sorry! I wasn't reading prior posts, I found it out through Twitter. I was only able to get in because the aforementioned friend kindly let me 'borrow' his account information and all that. He also recorded the whole end credits in the theatre. 

I'll take my leave, I'm sorry, I'm aware I'm in the minority on this (I can tell and I'm not even reading the posts here about it :P). Let's just say if this conversation were to be taking place in person, I'd be screaming high-pitched and jumping and up and down hearing all this while hugging my cat. I'm informed quite often I tend to be obnoxious when I'm in a cheerful mood, hence I'm actually pretty introverted and quiet compared to the impression you'd get of me here.

Jurassic stuff makes me happy. It really does. It's stupid.

There's literally people on this thread praising the score so I dunno what you're worried about.

The reworking of the JW main theme in the "The Therapod Preservation Society" sample is pretty awesome

5 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Ooooh, pft. Sorry! I wasn't reading prior posts, I found it out through Twitter. I was only able to get in because the aforementioned friend kindly let me 'borrow' his account information and all that. He also recorded the whole end credits in the theatre. 

I'll take my leave, I'm sorry, I'm aware I'm in the minority on this (I can tell and I'm not even reading the posts here about it :P). Let's just say if this conversation were to be taking place in person, I'd be screaming high-pitched and jumping and up and down hearing all this while hugging my cat. I'm informed quite often I tend to be obnoxious when I'm in a cheerful mood, hence I'm actually pretty introverted and quiet compared to the impression you'd get of me here.

Jurassic stuff makes me happy. It really does. It's stupid.

With this and a PuffyAmiYumi image, I'm wondering: what scores did you list on the year of your birth, in that one thread?

...Really? Huh. I guess the anti-Giacchino virus isn't as widespread as I had long assumed! I'm more in a 'I could take or leave him' position, with this and Up being the only cases where I've outright loved it. 

And yeah, man, from what I'm hearing, wow, an actual VARIATION of the theme? Not just quoting it point for point but with poorer arrangement/orchestration like last time? THANK YOU! 

And to answer N. Parker's question, I chose Batman Returns, Honey I Blew Up the Kid, Wind, Mom and Dad Save the World and Aladdin as my favorite 1992 scores.

3 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

And yeah, man, from what I'm hearing, wow, an actual VARIATION of the theme? Not just quoting it point for point but with poorer arrangement/orchestration like last time? THANK YOU! 

Right exactly, I was expecting a retread of JW1 and was pleasantly surprised when it was a true evolution of the theme there.  What all sequel scores should do!

Even the new 'main' themes are so much more interesting than his JW theme! Though I do like the little cameos JW's theme does get here. Heck, if anything, it's probably better now as a minor theme than it was as a main theme.

What I'm finding really baffling especially is how much better this sounds even though it's the same orchestrator as JW! What's up with that?

Definitely, its among his weaker main themes.  In the previous score, the Hoskins, Raptor Squad, and Indominous Rex themes were all better

The theme in the "Jurassic Pillow Talk" sample is interesting.  Reminds me of something I can't put my finger on

you mean the first track that's not on the album?

I do agree that the recording sounds better, and that there is lot more energy

(allthough it helps that they picked more action cues for this album)

On 6/7/2018 at 11:50 AM, crocodile said:

This track is very weak. Big simple chords played REALLY LOUD FOR DRAMA. Nah, he tried harder in the first one. As someone once said about his Trek: it's orchestral, sure, but not really symphonic.

Karol

I'd be curious to hear you elucidate on this: what do you consider the difference between orchestral and symphonic? 

And it's obviously a way better album than last time too! No source theme park music this time and all that. :P

Pleasantly surprised by the length. Is this the longest Jurassic OST we've had? 

1 minute ago, MedigoScan said:

you mean the first track that's not on the album?

What?

From what a friend in the UK told me, there's not much of anything that isn't on the album. Probably little minor bits, but it from what someone who saw the movie told me, the album seems like it captures everything it'd need.

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I'd be curious to hear you elucidate on this: what do you consider the difference between orchestral and symphonic? 

Think it boils down to complexity and certain compositional slight of hand. A lot of film music is orchestral, of course, but it doesn't feel like it flows together from one idea into another, like the sections are harmoniously integrated. For the most part, it feels like they're layered one on top of some simple rhythmic pulse. In short, it's a lot of stuff happening but based around some banal idea. A lot of Giacchino's music is like that to me even if I like some of his work.

Not sure if that makes sense, I'm not a musician...

Karol

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

Think it boils down to complexity and certain compositional slight of hand. A lot of film music is orchestral, of course, but it doesn't feel like it flows together from one idea into another, like the sections are harmoniously integrated. For the most part, it feels like they're layered one on top of some simple rhythmic pulse. In short, it's a lot of stuff happening but based around some banal simplistic idea. A lot of Giacchino's music is like that to me even if I like some of his work.

Not sure if that makes sense, I'm not a musician...

Karol

How would you compare it to something like The Spark?

5 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

How would you compare it to something like The Spark?

The Spark might seem like an example but it also creates a 3D acoustic space that makes musical sense. And there is a certain mystical quality to the orchestrations.  It does only what it needs to do. It doesn't have yet another layer of brass counterline, shrieking chorus and thumping taiko drums just because it's a big moment.

Karol

1 minute ago, Jay said:

The "March Of The Wheatly Cavalcade" sample is really fun

It's no Mine Mission...:P

BUT, I already like it more than Hoskins' theme.

Man...I know sequel scores improving on their predecessors isn't exactly unheard of, but I had no idea Giacchino could at least have this much energy in him. All I asked was for some fun monster movie music to jam out to, and this is certainly delivering and perhaps then some beyond that!

The choir in "Go With The Pyroclastic Flow" is unusual.  Actually I think it reminds me of that field bit in Tomorrowland

The Spark might seem like an example but it also creates a 3D acoustic space that makes musical sense. And there is a certain mystical quality to the orchestrations.  It does only what it needs to do. It doesn't have yet another layer of brass counterline, shrieking chorus and thumping taiko drums just because it's a big moment.

Karol

So would it be accurate to summarize your complaint as "loud and proud" and sheer sonic density as compensating for weak or thin foundations?

7 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

So would it be accurate to summarize your complaint as "loud and proud" and sheer sonic density as compensating for weak or thin foundations?

Yeah, more or less. I suppose another simple explanation would be that it sounds like music written by someone who grew up listening to big Hollywood music whereas big Hollywood composers would probably be interested in something completely different. It's like Neil Gaiman once said: If you want to write a big Tolkien-esque fantasy don't read big Tolkien-esque fantasy books. Hope this makes sense.

Having said all that, I will check out the full album once it's out. It doesn't help that the score as heard in the film is a particularly weak accompaniment to the drama (or lack of it) on screen. There's a lot of churning and shrieking but not quite enough heart, humour, energy, tension etc. I generally like Giacchino but feel there are fewer interesting scores from him lately. Is he getting bored of the job?

Karol

Yeah, more or less. I suppose another simple explanation would be that it sounds like music written by someone who grew up listening to big Hollywood music whereas big Hollywood composers would probably be interested in something completely different. It's like Neil Gaiman once said: If you want to write a big Tolkien-esque fantasy don't read big Tolkien-esque fantasy books. Hope this makes sense.

Karol

I know exactly whachu mean.I remember an interview with Benny Golson when he was invited to listen to a younger band; they had the berets, the glasses, the black clothes, the dirty instruments, everything. But when they played, it sounded like the most square, awkward music he'd heard! We're in an era where much of the content is produced by fanboys. While of course, it's natural to be inspired by things you connect with, there's a certain derivative simpleheadedness to much of what we hear and see over the last several years. People try so hard to capture their role models, but they tend to usually get only the clothes, not the spirit.