Michael Giacchino's JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM (2018)

Max

2 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

How's the sound quality/recording?

Fantastic!

Giacchino: Ditch the masters, let's start over! Prepare the Deverb vacuum suctions! These session players have been playin' my music for years, maybe a little oxygen deprivation will actually give 'em some pleasure playin' this crap!

After the my first listen, I must say that I like it a lot more than Jurassic World. The action music feels more organic, the themes from the first one are re-introduced in some great ways (especially Owen's Raptors theme with some choir), and altough it's a shame that InGen's theme does not return, there's a lot of new material that compensates it. I don't exactly know what each theme represents, but what I suppose it's the Fallen Kingdom (as Jay said), is really great and has a lot of fantastic statements.

I need to watch the movie and see how it works in context, and also try to figure out what the themes represent, but on album works great. Maybe around the middle it drags a little with some more filler cues, but the first and last third are fantastic. 

And now to listen to The Incredibles 2...

Yea I'd like to know what the other themes represent too

And yea, there's a ton of filler tracks in the saggy middle. But then the last third of the album is killer.

I like it more than the first score, but the first score had more fun themes. 

It's been reported the Family Theme was used once in the film (for a scene with Owen and Claire, despite it being a theme for the brothers exclusively in the first film), but I too am glad it is not on the OST album.  I do miss the Hoskins/InGen theme though, however I'm guessing the film doesn't concern them it wouldn't have had a place.  I'm glad he found a use for the raptor squad theme though.

the raptor squad theme even had more appearances in the movie

movie-wise, tracks 13 to 17 sorta represent the middle act, though I myself still did like PillowTalk and ShockandAuction

the twinkly theme is probably indeed intended to be a B theme to the Fallen Kingdom main theme

and that Ominous theme is just something reused for the suite, just like that 'bridging material' was taken from track 1 (The Jurassic world 1 suite also had non-thematic music) 

The quiet theme could be Maisie's theme and the March theme is definitely Wheatley stuff

7 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

So the score/album ends the same way it began, eh? Love that. 

Yea I noticed that too :)

Would you guys say The Neo-Jurassic Age from 0:10-0:25 is another play on the concert arrangement opening of the Jurassic Park theme?

2 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

the twinkly theme is probably indeed intended to be a B theme to the Fallen Kingdom main theme

I definitely think so especially after listening to The Neo Jurassic Age just now

and that Ominous theme is just something reused for the suite, just like that 'bridging material' was taken from track 1 (The Jurassic world 1 suite also had non-thematic music) 

Makes sense

The quiet theme could be Maisie's theme and the March theme is definitely Wheatley stuff

I had read earlier there was a theme for Maisie, and was surprised I didn't notice one in tracks with her name in the title.  I haven't seen the film, I don't even know who she is

Since I haven't seen the film, what is "Wheatley stuff"?

I'm sure there's some good stuff not on the album and all, but I think this might be the most satisfying Jurassic OST ever. Which is to say, it's the first one where I'm not frustratingly either seeking out an expansion/recording sessions or feeling any need to rearrange the order.

Maisie is the little girl that you probably recognize from the trailer in the bedroom scene

Wheatley is the hunter that helps round up dinosaurs on the island

and yeah I am not missing much this time, though I still wouldnt mind getting the full opening and also more Indoraptor-killing-people-material

(though the latter sounded a lot like the Gyrosphere track)

edit: actually now that I think about it, the Quiet theme is probably be meant for Blue and Owen

since Operation Blue Blood uses it for a scene where you see footage of Owen and the infant raptors

Though then it doesnt make much sense for it to be in tracks 2 or 12

Wow, this is far better than the first one!

One striking thing is how this feels  more "united" than the first ( The fallen kingdom theme binds it all together, akin to Han's theme in Solo)

The recording though, is F-ing FANTASTIC!!! It's superbly crystal clear! I love it ( just wish Solo would have been like this :( )

Well just want to post this quick before i forget.

A little cameo (1:43 - 2:03):

^^

That progression is similar to this:

^^

Which itself IMITATED the Shawshank lift:

Just started my first listen.

I think the entire piece of 'Double Cross to Bear' is Giacchino playing around with the 4 note introduction of Williams Main theme.

One thing I really like about this one is the use of the choir. In the first one it appeared, but more disperse, playing with great effect in the final moments of the movie, but here you can hear it almost from the beginning as an individual force that helps the score to sound much more intense and emotional. Especially with the Fallen Kingdom theme.

you could really hear the choir in the movie too

from the very first scene that has music (though that bit is not on the album)

btw 1:09-1:26 from Deep Blue Free (I still cant get over that title) also sorta uses the main theme's first part

Well, the first three notes sound kind of similar, but from there each theme develops onto its own thing. But I think they are intended to be related somehow.

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

I think the entire piece of 'Double Cross to Bear' is Giacchino playing around with the 4 note introduction of Williams Main theme.

I kinda hear what you're getting at but I don't think it was intentional.  Well, depends on whatever is happening on screen then I guess.

1 hour ago, Smaug the iron said:

12 Volcano to Death (1:38)
You can hear the jurassic Park Main Theme at 0:28-047

Yup, you're right!  Wow, that sounds cool!  It actually starts earlier, at 0:22.

36 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

btw 1:09-1:26 from Deep Blue Free (I still cant get over that title) also sorta uses the main theme's first part

You mean the Fallen Kingom Theme?  It's disguised somewhat, but I think you're right

I'll have to give this a couple more spins and see the movie to know for sure, but I think the suite may be all I need.

Is This fallen kingdom theme B-section(?): (3:19 - 3:35)

It is nice.

Reminds me a lot of James newton howard's creation. Well as a matter of fact, it is similar to this one theme/motif from JNH's Fantastic Beasts: 

After two listens through the score, so far I prefer his JW over this, mainly for the optimistic fun of it all with a mix of big happy themes and big evil themes. But Fallen Kingdom is really great. The brass is wonderful, as is his fresh use of choir throughout. I like the gothic style he went into for this. Several moments convinced me that Giacchino could create a damn good Batman score.

7 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

It is nice.

Reminds me a lot of James newton howard's creation. Well as a matter of fact, it is similar to this one theme/motif from JNH's Fantastic Beasts: 

I was listening to that part and I thought it reminded me of other score but I couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks for pointing it out!

BTW, I cannot wait for Fantastic Beasts 2! I LOVE that score so much.

1 hour ago, MedigoScan said:

Or a Godzilla score

This style with references from Akira Ifukube's original scores? Yes, please!

It is so good to hear a clearly recorded Giacchino score. The man is a totally different composer on this fidelity.

Seeing his astonishing concert at the Royal Albert, and having to justify to everyone why he sounds so bad otherwise, has hopefully made an impact. He has some real talent but the silly recording gimmicks have hampered him, not with his buddies of course. Chad Seiter is one of the most talented composers out there and he does not go with the mono sound. Now, it must have been someone in the industry with the clout to state that to Giacchino and he has had to adapt. Good fucking riddance. Even though both scores (Jurassic and Incredibles) are only perfunctory at best, having this sort of recording for War of the Planet of Apes, well - a huge fucking missed opportunity. 

I'm not sure whether anyone has mentioned it already but it feels bit odd Williams isn't mentioned at all in the booklet. His themes are not credited, neither Bayona nor Giacchino mention him in their notes, there is no thank you.

Karol

12 hours ago, PrayodiBA said:

Why did you phrase that like a question?  Just scroll up:

21 hours ago, Jay said:

26 At Jurassic World's End Credits \ Suite (10:55)
0:00-1:02 Adventure Theme
1:12-1:53 Jurassic World Main Theme
1:53-2:04 Jurassic Park Main theme (3 notes only)
2:04-3:20 Fallen Kingdom Theme
3:20-3:40 Fallen Kingdom Theme B Section
3:40-4:11 Fallen Kingdom Theme

4:11-4:31 Fallen Kingdom Theme B Section

4:31-5:18 Fallen Kingdom Theme
5:18-6:40 Quiet Theme
6:40-7:45 March Theme

7:45-8:08 non-thematic bridging material that was re-used in "Go With the Pyroclastic Flow" [0:00-0:14]
8:08-8:28 Fallen Kingdom Theme B Section
8:28-9:00 Fallen Kingdom Theme
9:00-9:20 Fallen Kingdom Theme B Section
9:20-9:57 Fallen Kingdom Theme

10:08-10:35 non-thematic bridging material that was re-used in "This Title Makes Me Jurassic" [0:00-0:38]
10:35-end Fallen Kingdom Theme

1 hour ago, Jay said:

All digital versions feature 2 bonus tracks NOT available on the physical CD, which is out today as well

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CG1QP1F

Am I not seeing the same thing? The amazon link to the physical CD has 26 tracks, all the same length as the iTunes and Amazon Digital albums, which also have 26 tracks... I was confused by this because I got the Amazon digital album which describes itself as Deluxe, but don't see a difference at all.

Loving the score so far. It's like a totally different Giacchino has emerged. In a lot of ways, it feels like Lost World, with a lot of tense, directionless (but enjoyable) filler music, where as the first Jurassic World had so much of autopilot Giacchino 4-chord phrases that was just a snooze fest. 

The track list Amazon put on the page for the CD is wrong.  The actual physical CD only has 24 tracks.  Proof:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26734-michael-giacchinos-jurassic-world-fallen-kingdom-2018/&do=findComment&comment=1493185