Top 10 Scores & Cues of 2016

TheUlyssesian

This can be a great resource for people to get suggestions and keep track of what they have heard and what's the best that the year's got to offer.

Please only link OBSCURE scores. 

1. The Gods Of Egypt - Marco Beltrami

2. The BFG - John Williams

3. A Serious Game (Den allvarsamma leken) - Matti Bye (a primary example of a great FILM score. Has tremendous impact within the film)

4. X-Men: Apocalypse - John Ottoman

5. Star Trek Beyond - Michael Giacchino

6. Juliettta - Alberto Iglesias

7. The Jungle Book - John Debney

8. Ghosbusters - Theodore Shapiro

9. Alice Through The Looking Glass - Danny Elfman

10. Finding Nemo - Thomas Newman

Best Tracks (actually released as part of OSTs)

1. Ben and Zaya's Theme - The Gods Of Egypt

2. Sophie and The BFG - The BFG

3. Night on the Yorktown - Star Trek Beyond

4. You're X-Men/End Titles - X-Men: Apocalypse

5. A Serious Game (Den allvarsamma leken) - A Serious Game

6. Toth's Library - The Gods Of Egypt

7. Coronoation - The Gods Of Egypt

8. Alice - Alice Through The Looking Glass

9. NY Heart GB - Ghostbuters

10. The Transference - X-Men: Apocalypse

On ongoing list that will change enormously by the end of the year.

Lordy... it's been a bleak year thus far hasn't it?  Giacchino's Trek was nice, Debney and Desplat did some stuff, and the Superman picture had good moments, some courtesy of Eric Whitacre.

High hopes for some of the year's remaining big entries, though.

It's way too early to give a list. That will be the subject of my annual Celluloid Tunes round-up in December or January. But I think it's a year like any other year -- some good stuff, some disappointing stuff. I've never subscribed to the idea that one year is "better" or "worse" than another. It's all a matter of focus, anyway.

But if I were to mention some 'contenders' for my 'best of' list already at this point, I would mention MOUNTAIN CRY (Errèra), THE MAG 7 (Horner), LA TORTUE ROUGE (Del Mar), NERVE (Simonsen), SWISS ARMY MAN (Hull & McDowell), LOVE & FRIENDSHIP (Suozzo), THE NEON DEMON (Martinez), MADE IN FRANCE (Rob), MIRACLES FROM HEAVEN (Sillioto), PEE-WEE'S BIG HOLIDAY (Mothersbaugh), JOURNEY TO MECCA (Brook), EDDIE THE EAGLE (Margeson), THE YOUNG MESSIAH (Debney), TALE OF A LAKE (Aaltio), LAMB (Bernardinelli)... 

29 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

Based on my experience

I can at least give an obscure mention to 10 Cloverfield Lane by Bear McCreary

10 CLOVERFIELD LANE is hardly obscure. Very enjoyable movie, although I can't remember much of McCreary's score. McCreary's best work this year continues to be for OUTLANDER.

I have heard 4 scores so far this year.  Ranked best to less best:

Alice Through the Looking Glass

Captain America Civil War

10 Cloverfield Ln

Batman v Superman

Frankly I couldn't tell you any stand-out tracks, although I found Alice heads above the others, and BvS heads below (sucks, because I usually like Zimmer)

I liked what I remember from Shapiro's Ghostbusters, and I have The BFG, Star Trek Beyond, X-Men Apocalypse, and Miss Peregrine, and Girl on a Train on my holiday list.  I'll definitely pick up Rogue One.  Doctor Strange and Fantastic Beasts are likely depending on samples.   Still waiting on CD releases for a few other Elfman joints.

Top 15 Pieces I've heard (not in order) -- yes, I know that's not 10

Main Titles from The Jungle Book

Overture from The BFG

Dream Country from The BFG

Building Trust from The BFG

Dream Jars from The BFG

Frolic from The BFG

Blowing Dreams from The BFG

The Queen's Dream from The BFG

Meeting the Queen from The BFG

Night on the Yorktown from Beyond

Thank Your Lucky Star Date from Beyond

Meet the Pets from Secret Life of Pets

You Have an Owner? from Secret Life of Pets

Main Titles from Fantastic Beasts

Seven Riders from Mag Seven

Granted, while I have heard several full new OSTs this year, I'm sure many others have listened to much more new music, so given my lack of knowledge compared to them my list should be taken with several grains of salt. Certainly, I very much liked each of the above pieces (or at least a moment in them). 

Also, I'm terrible at ranking things so I'm sure I left some good ones out that I've heard. Obviously there are many other tracks I've heard that I really liked, but obviously my list is already longer than 10 so I had to just choose a few. 

• 2 weeks later...

Updated list

1. The Gods Of Egypt - Marco Beltrami

2. The BFG - John Williams

3. A Serious Game (Den allvarsamma leken) - Matti Bye (a primary example of a great FILM score. Has tremendous impact within the film)

4. X-Men: Apocalypse - John Ottoman

5. Star Trek Beyond - Michael Giacchino

6. The Handmaiden - Jo Yeong-wook

7. Elle - Anne Dudley

8. Jackie - Mica Levi

9. Juliettta - Alberto Iglesias

10. The Jungle Book - John Debney

Refreshing to see some non-Hollywood picks on your list, Ulyssesian! I dig DEN ALVARSAMME LEKEN and THE HANDMAIDEN, and think ELLE was brilliant in context (perhaps less so album). I'm very curious to hear Levi's score for JACKIE. Your Hollywood picks aren't quite my cup of tea, though, although good moments in BFG.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Refreshing to see some non-Hollywood picks on your list, Ulyssesian! I dig DEN ALVARSAMME LEKEN and THE HANDMAIDEN, and think ELLE was brilliant in context (perhaps less so album). I'm very curious to hear Levi's score for JACKIE. Your Hollywood picks aren't quite my cup of tea, though, although good moments in BFG.

I think the main theme of Elle is quite attractive and sultry, maybe a little bit like Goldsmith's Basic Instinct. There is also a suspense motif that I quite like.  But I agree its less effective on album. 

I think everyone should give Gods Of Egypt a chance. Its a rather great album through.

There are good moments in GODS OF EGYPT, but overall I found it wandering rather aimlessly among tons of aggravating bombast. Which is a shame, because I love Marco Beltrami's work.

I agree that the main theme from ELLE has a bit of an BASIC INSTINCT vibe, and wouldn't be surprised if Verhoeven asked Dudley to at least listen to that score in advance.

Gods of Egypt, X-Men: Apocalypse and Doctor Strange all feature some of my favourite cues of the year but the overall scores aren't in my top 10.

I haven't seen Swallows and Amazons by Ilan Eshkeri mentioned here and I really recommend it. It is an really charming bright orchestral adventure score with a collection of very nice themes. It is on Spotify and I can't recommend it highly enough. It will feature highly in my top 10.