Has there been any good film music lately?

BLUMENKOHL

Have my tastes changed so drastically in the last year? Is there a growth on the music side of me brain?

Most of the albums I've listened to in the last 12 months have been dreadfully forgettable. From Giacchino to Desplat to Zimmer to John Williams (TFA being an exception, just barely). 

The old favorites have gotten boring and predictable by virtue of being over played. I'd rather listen to the latest pop song for my dopamine rush. Maybe that's thrown my system out of whack?

What's left? What's out there? Is there nothing more?! I'm freakin' bored! Halp!

Steef, I'm fucking listening to The Weeknd's latest Daft Punk collaboration right now and its fun. 

What the fuck has the film music world done for me in 2016?? Nothing. 

I'm sure I've become older and grumpier. But that doesn't mean the music hasn't been lackluster!

There's a problem in Hollywood when Night On The Yorktown is on of the best cues in big budget cinema this year. Because it really isn't anything special.

Nah. It's been a bleak year. Wintory's Abzu has probably been the only significant spark.

I've mostly been listening to old stuff.

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The BFG is one of Williams' finest scores, Giacchino's Rogue One will be this year's best score, and Fantastic Beasts sounds promising.

Now you're confusing the Neo-JWFan movement with deaf people.

I haven't listened to many scores from this year but it's nice to know I'm not missing much.

I think the only score this year I was really looking forward to was The BFG but it sounded like Harry Potter 1. And I love what he did for Harry Potter, but I was hoping to hear something different.

Seems like the time demands it :(

What do we call the morons that are effusing praise for crap like Inferno?

This has been my least film scorey year since I discovered film scores. That's worrisome to me. A few years ago maybe 7 out of every 10 albums I listened to were film scores. This year I'd guess 1 or 2 out of every 10 albums I listen to are film scores.

1 hour ago, KK said:

Nah. It's been a bleak year. Wintory's Abzu has probably been the only significant spark.

Yes.  And a bright one.  But most else has been shit.  The world has gone to shit.  Fuck it all.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

NeoJWFANers seems to be thinking...Fantastic Beasts sounds promising.

I'm so out of the loop, looks like there's an album pre-release? Listened to the main titles. That was embarrassing. This is the guy that once gave us The Village and Lady in the Water, and he's now reduced to delivering 90s low-budget television-grade Harry Potter music? 

1 minute ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Yes.  And a bright one.  But most else has been shit.  The world has gone to shit.  Fuck it all.

Abzu? Haven't heard it. Well, I'll check it out. Here's hoping! 

I'm a bit stubborn to get into video game music because I feel like the music doesn't have a beginning, middle, and end, so to speak (since it's mean to loop forever). Am I wrong to think this?

Not necessarily, but it depends what one looks for in music and the subjectiveness of that more than anything. I don't necessarily demand that my music "tells a story", so to speak, I don't particularly need it to have a narrative arc (although the finest game music often has those qualities). Sometimes I can just really get into some cracking great incidental cues which have absolutely nothing to do with anything else on the score. 

32 minutes ago, Skelly said:

I'm a bit stubborn to get into video game music because I feel like the music doesn't have a beginning, middle, and end, so to speak (since it's mean to loop forever). Am I wrong to think this?

Yes, you are. 

7 hours ago, Skelly said:

No fucking way are you wrong!

Video-game music is the lowest of all musical "art" forms. It's right down there with modern rap, and urban soul.

It is stagnant, and moirbund. Avoid! 

9 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

Any game standouts you'd recommend off the top of yer head, @Quintus?

ReCore by Chad Seiter

Abzu by Austin WIntory

Uncharted 4 by Henry Jackman

Firewatch by Chris Remo

Not the greatest bunch of game scores for 2016, and all pale in comparison to their earlier counterparts, save for Firewatch, though that may not be your style.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Video-game music is the lowest of all musical "art" forms. It's right down there with modern rap, and urban soul.

It is stagnant, and moirbund. Avoid! 

I've been told as much by an avid gamer and film music fan.

14 minutes ago, Richard said:

Has there been any good film music, lately? Yes; HIGH-RISE.

Oh yes, that was a good one.