The Positive Peter Thread!

We spend a fair time here talking about how rubbish PJ is. How he misinterpreted important aspects of Tolkien's writing for the sake of box office, got away with it and failed to do it a second time!

But lets here focus on things he did right!

The heroism of the Rohirrim! First in the guise of Theoden King, healed by Gandalf and rouses by the words of Aragorn, riding to one last battle! For Rohan!

Then later repeated to EPIC proportions as Theoden rides out to his enemies, and thousands of Riders cry "DEATH!" before commencing battle.

Incredibly evokative imagery stitched together through prefection and brilliantly scored.

He knew how to stage a battle.

Pacing, staging, tension, spectacle-wise, all battle scenes should aim for this level of perfection:

Still looks brilliant!

The Gandalf and Balrog showdown both in FotR and the TTT prologue. The whole opening battle of TTT inspired by that John Howe painting is breathtaking.

Moria.jpg

giphy.gif

GandalfFallsWithTheBalrog.jpg

ttt0006.jpg

A simple scene, but it is possibly my favourite in the whole trilogy:

the short scene of Bilbo and Gandalf smoking. Bilbo blows a circle, and Gandalf responds by blowing a ship...and sends it sailing through the circle. Pure, understated magic.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

A simple scene, but it is possibly my favourite in the whole trilogy:

the short scene of Bilbo and Gandalf smoking. Bilbo blows a circle, and Gandalf responds by blowing a ship...and sends it sailing through the circle. Pure, understated magic.

This x1000.  

Like most Tolkien fans I was unsure if anyone was going to be able to successfully capture the magic of LOTR on screen.  I was worried it would be Hollywoodized and FUBAR'd. But when I saw that scene, I knew that Jackson (and Shore) nailed it.

Let's be honest, there's loads of great scenes across his films (too many to mention really - for starters, virtually all of Moria is just about perfection), and he has made some truly brilliant ones. I guess that just magnifies people's disappointment in him when he doesn't live up to their expectations.

I enjoyed both trilogies. I confess to not having read any of the books in question, so anything left out (or in the Hobbit's case, added in) didn't annoy me (or leave me wanting to watch the LOTR extended versions in the interests of 'completion'). 

Would also like to add my voice to the positivity about Heavenly Creatures and The Frighteners.  

And by God, I bloody love this - 

23 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

He's writing the script for an adaptation of Mortal Engines.

I am glad PJ didn't decide to start making small movies after the Hobbit.

I am sure Disney will buy PJ's Weta and push him out and develop this new series of films without him.

History is repeating itself!

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

WETA is a special effects house, unlike Lucasfilm.

Did you mean Wingnut?

Yes! Yes! They will take everything from him! Leaving him alone and bitter! At war with the world.

1 minute ago, gkgyver said:

What is a Wingnut anyway?

Does it have to do with Doggy?

right-wing-nut.jpg