The Joe Kraemer Thread

Jay

On 4/30/2021 at 4:15 PM, WampaRat said:

I couldn’t find the official “Joe Kraemer” thread. Was this shared already?

He’s a talented guy for sure. But this entire album is an odd mutation of John Williams work. First track is a hodgepodge of “attack on Jakku” and “Jungle Chase”  for example. It’s kind of a “name that tune I listened to before writing this” game. Very odd. Even a few mangled snippets from “The Cowboys Oveture” pops up in one of these. 

This already get discussed?

What is this? A concept album? Reminds me of Doyle's Impressions of America. A composer let loose away from the picture, but ultimately does not result in one of their best works.

13 minutes ago, Drew said:

What is this? A concept album? Reminds me of Doyle's Impressions of America. A composer let loose away from the picture, but ultimately does not result in one of their best works.

On 10/29/2020 at 5:10 PM, Dr. Know said:

Joe has a new production library album on Audio Network UK, "Come to the Rescue."  Unfortunately, the individual tracks cost $10 to purchase.

https://www.audionetwork.com/browse/m/album/come-to-the-rescue_3425

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2020 at 8:32 AM, Jay said:

Battle At Sea - super fun, sounds like an unused prequel trilogy pan down from the stars and opening action cue.  Even has kinds of The Arena from AOTC

Army of Villains - Cool take on the bridge section of the Imperial March, and hints of March of the Resistance too

Into The Sunset - Ha!  A fun take on The Cowboys

In Love With The Damsel - Lovely love theme

Museum Chase - Fun action cue, sort of a blend of his MI5 action sound and Desert Chase from Raiders

Arrival At The Homestead - Very lovely!

A Colorado Rhapsody - Fun, starts out like the Raiders March then reminded me more of City Slickers

Come To The Rescue - A fun wrap-up track!

I just listened to these today, they are all super fun!

Even though he's obviously emulating certain existing music at times, I can hear how strong a composer he is. Each time I hear some new Joe Kraemer, it makes me want to hear some more Joe Kraemer. 

13 hours ago, Anthony said:

I'm still bitter that he wasn't approached for any more M:I films. I'm arguably even more gutted about this than the fact we haven't had a David Arnold Bond score for 13 years. And with their current equivalents being Balfe and Zimmer...filmmakers really are scraping the bottom of the barrel. :(

Having Kraemer not return for the following M:I, not having Arnold doing more Bond scores, not having Arnold score that ID4 sequel....rank among my biggest disappointments in the last number of years. 

On a more positive note, half-way through listening to Emily and the Magical Journey and it's really quite fun. In some of the quirky bits of the score, I can hear influences from Williams' similarly quirky music in TPM for some of the Jar-Jar scenes/ kid Anakin, and/or some of the burglar's-falling-into-traps bits from Home Alone. 

On 6/25/2021 at 5:02 PM, MrJosh said:

Having Kraemer not return for the following M:I, not having Arnold doing more Bond scores, not having Arnold score that ID4 sequel....rank among my biggest disappointments in the last number of years. 

Same.

Also up there is Giacchino getting Rogue One over Desplat, Balfe getting Black Widow over Desplat, Williams not scoring Bridge of Spies / Ready Player One / West Side Story, and Don Davis not scoring Matrix 4

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Same.

Also up there is Giacchino getting Rogue One over Desplat, Balfe getting Black Widow over Desplat, Williams not scoring Bridge of Spies / Ready Player One / West Side Story, and Don Davis not scoring Matrix 4

Yes, forgot about these....and I haven't been following the news at all on The Matrix 4 and was assuming that of course they'd ask Don Davis to return....uhg, that is disappointing!

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Same.

Arguably, Ready Player One yielded one of Silvestri's best scores, so I'm not too disappointed about that one. Newman's isn't bad either. Black Widow and Rogue One howwever...yes, I'd definitely have prefered the original composers.

I knew Davis wasn't doing Matrix 4, but I've forgotten who IS doing it.

2 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Arguably, Ready Player One yielded one of Silvestri's best scores, so I'm not too disappointed about that one. Newman's isn't bad either. Black Widow and Rogue One howwever...yes, I'd definitely have prefered the original composers.

I knew Davis wasn't doing Matrix 4, but I've forgotten who IS doing it.

I agree that Silvestri's score was enjoyable for sure, but it would have been pretty great to get another adventure score by Williams. I wonder if he'd have wanted to quote the BTTF theme or if he'd have been not a fan of that kind of thing. 

22 minutes ago, toothless said:

Wait. Has anyone been announced for Matrix 4 ? Davis hasn’t been asked but could still be, right? 

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27202-the-matrix-resurrection-fourth-matrix-film/&do=findComment&comment=1775091

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Joe_Kraemer_Collection_Vol1_DOD-Digital_cover_1024x1024.webp

Disc-On-Demand (CDR)
CD includes Digital Download/Digital Booklet

Dragon’s Domain Records presents THE JOE KRAEMER COLLECTION: VOLUME 1, featuring music composed by Joe Kraemer (THE WAY OF THE GUN, JACK REACHER, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: ROGUE NATION) for two films from his extensive filmography, THE HITCHER II: I’VE BEEN WAITING and JOY RIDE 2: DEAD AHEAD.

Released in 2003, THE HITCHER II: I’VE BEEN WAITING was directed by Louis Morneau (BATS), written by Eric Red, Molly Meeker and Charles R. Meeker, starring C.Thomas Howell, Kari Wuhrer and Jake Busey. The film catches up with Jim Halsey (Howell) fifteen years after his horror filled trip through Texas at the hands of a psychotic drifter as chronicled in the events of the first film. After being discharged from the police force after using excessive force on a suspect, Jim decides to take a trip back to Texas with his girlfriend, Maggie (Wuhrer) to face the demons of his past and visit his old friend, Captain Estridge. On the way, the couple make the mistake of picking up another hitchhiker, Jim (Busey), who remarkably also happens to have most of his screws loose and Jim and Maggie find themselves taking part in a new cat-and-mouse tour of Texas with Jim in relentless pursuit.

Heavily affected by Kraemer’s score for THE WAY OF THE GUN, director Louis Morneau knew exactly what he wanted musically for THE HITCHER II and sought out Joe to score the film.

Released in 2008 after the surprise success of the first film, JOY RIDE 2: DEAD AHEAD was also directed by Louis Morneau, written by James Robert Johnston, Bennett Yellin and Clay Tarver, starring Nicki Aycox, Nick Zano, Laura Jordan, Kyle Schmid and Mark Gibbon as Rusty Nail. While driving to Las Vegas for the bachelor party of her sister Melissa (Aycox) and her fiancé Bobby (Zano), Kayla (Jordan) stops the car at a gas station to meet her date, Nik (Schmid). Nik convinces her to take the car down a back road and the car breaks down. They find a house in the middle of nowhere and decide to take the car parked in the garage to the nearest city and return the car later. Melissa leaves her cell phone number. Along the way, the car is damaged because of Nik’s stupidity and they plan to rent a car and return to the house to pay for the damages to the car. Unknown to them, the owner of the house is the psychotic Rusty Nail and the friends realize they are going to have to pay a much higher price than expected for what they did...

Joe Kraemer has been scoring films since the age of 15, when he composed the soundtrack for his high school classmate’s feature-length indie shot on Super 8 in 1986. Joe attended the renowned Berklee College of Music in Boston to study film composition. In the following years, Kraemer carved out an eclectic career scoring various genres. He has written music for over 100 films, with about 40 of those just for the Hallmark Channel/Larry Levinson Productions. Furthermore, he has scored for episodic television, television movies, documentaries, and short films, including his scores for John Putch's THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE and A TIME TO REMEMBER, as well as the MYSTERY WOMAN series, and westerns such as HARD GROUND, LONE RIDER and THE TRAIL TO HOPE ROSE. His filmography includes THE WAY OF THE GUN, JACK REACHER, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE – ROGUE NATION, THE MAN WHO KILLED HITLER AND THEN THE BIGFOOT, the documentary KING COHEN and television series COMRADE DETECTIVE, CREEPED OUT and PANDORA. Joe frequently does Masterclasses in composition for media for various colleges and organizations, including Columbia College Chicago, Media Sound Hamburg, and the Hollywood Music Workshop.

Dragon’s Domain Records presents THE JOE KRAEMER COLLECTION – VOLUME 1, featuring the premiere releases of music composed by Joe Kraemer for THE HITCHER II: I’VE BEEN WAITING and JOY RIDE 2: DEAD AHEAD The liner notes are written by the composer himself, along with director Louis Morneau. The music has been mastered by James Nelson at Digital Outland.

THE JOE KRAEMER COLLECTION – VOLUME 1 is a disc-on-demand release and is expected to begin shipping the week of February 5th, 2024.

The first 50 copies ordered through the buysoundtrax.com website will be autographed by the composer at no extra charge.

THE HITCHER II: I’VE BEEN WAITING
1. A Dark And Stormy Night (4:38)
2. Flight To Texas / Meeting The Hitcher (6:10)
3. The First Attack / Maggie Must Go On (9:10)
4. The Empty Water Tower* / French Fries / Gas Station Shoot-Out (8:32)
5. At The Roadside / Stealing A Plane / Freeway Face-Off (6:56)
6. Did He Survive / The Final Fight / Finale (3:31)

JOY RIDE 2: DEAD AHEAD
7. The Open Road (3:42)
8. One Car For Another (3:19)
9. Mortuary (3:10)
10. Flipping The Chevelle (3:46)
11. Repercussions (4:05)
12. Kidnapped (5:04)
13. Torture Chamber (5:23)
14. It’s Not Over Yet (3:07)
15. The Final Drive (4:26)

Total Time: 75:38

*Vocals: Lisa Donahey

https://buysoundtrax.myshopify.com/collections/dragons-domain-records-1/products/the-joe-kraemer-collection-volume-1

• 3 weeks later...