BFG Blu-ray to Include "John Williams: Scoring a Dream" Featurette (UPDATE: Seems to have been axed)

Will

Well, we can hope, I guess... :lol:

I'm expecting five minutes of gushing, with possibly a few cool recording sessions bits. I really want to see JW conducting "Frolic." 

2 hours ago, artguy360 said:

It's gonna be a standard 7 minute featurette that they usually do and it will still be more insightful and interesting than the music featurette included for TFA.

7 minutes of Daisy Ridley covering her mouth in awe wasn't enough for ya, eh? ;)

7 hours ago, Kendal_Ozzel said:

It was previously reported that the Williams featurette will be a "digital exclusive." :(

Well, the official site says it will be on the Blu-ray too. So we'll see. 

THE BIG FRIENDLY GIANT AND ME -  A short about the friendship between the BFG and the little "bean" who lived in Giant Country before Sophie. 

Could this be, like, a short film of sorts? That JW might have scored? 

Or is it just another documentary about "the boy"? That character doesn't really seem worthy of a whole documentary featurette. 

7 hours ago, Kendal_Ozzel said:

It was previously reported that the Williams featurette will be a "digital exclusive." :(

That would absolutely suck, if true!!! :angry:

At least we have some recording sessions footage from the B-roll video on YouTube (starting at 5:42):

I have a few sound bites from Williams regarding the film's music that may tide you all over until the DVD is released (assuming you all haven't seen this already). Williams makes some interesting comments. I enjoy seeing his eyes light up when he's talking about other people, like Spielberg, finding joy in music.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx_2TC4QmNqkOXVyX3E4TDIyZ0k

8 minutes ago, Skelly said:

I have a few sound bites from Williams regarding the film's music that may tide you all over until the DVD is released (assuming you all haven't seen this already). Williams makes some interesting comments. I enjoy seeing his eyes light up when he's talking about other people, like Spielberg, finding joy in music.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx_2TC4QmNqkOXVyX3E4TDIyZ0k

This has been posted here before (not sure where though). Yes, it is a great interview.

• 1 month later...

A bunch of clips from the film and the featuretts here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyMovies/videos

Unfortunately seems like a lot of library music used in the featuretts. Plus some OST, and I think maybe a little bit not on the OST. 

Description of Williams featurette (http://www.wearemoviegeeks.com/2016/11/disneys-bfg-digital-hd-blu-ray-disney-movies-anywhere-november-29/):

• John Williams: Scoring A Dream – A journey through the film’s concept art and memorable moments, interwoven with the sights and sounds of legendary composer John William’s scoring session.

The Blu-ray came out today. Haven't seen it yet though. 

I don't see the feature on the blu-ray at all. I fast forwarded through the "Bringing the BFG To Life" but Williams nor an orchestra were shown, so it looks like it was scrapped. 

Edit: didn't realize it was on the digital version only. 

9 hours ago, Demondm810 said:

I don't see the feature on the blu-ray at all. I fast forwarded through the "Bringing the BFG To Life" but Williams nor an orchestra were shown, so it looks like it was scrapped. 

Edit: didn't realize it was on the digital version only. 

So it is only digital? Hmm. 

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't think it's even on the iTunes release of The BFG.

Oh wow, you're right, digital releases don't seem to list it. 

Disney Movies Anywhere:

5 bonus features available with purchase, including:

The Big Friendly Giant And Me

Bringing The BFG To Life

Melissa Mathison: A Tribute

Gobblefunk: The Wonderful Words Of The BFG

Giants 101

Shoot. Could it have really been axed? :(

More positively, maybe they're saving the footage for the Sony DVD! :P

I changed the thread title to reflect this recent news, by the way. 

On 11/30/2016 at 2:36 PM, Will said:
  • John Williams: Scoring A Dream – A journey through the film’s concept art and memorable moments, interwoven with the sights and sounds of legendary composer John William’s scoring session.

To be honest, that sounds less like a featurette of the score and more like fluff, with film music laid on top.

We already had the B-Roll with scoring sessions footage and those sound bites from Williams. I think any featurette would've covered the same ground.

Still sucky though.

Of course it would be mostly fluff, but there'd be plenty of great new sessions footage and maybe some alternate takes.