2 LP by diff. artists on 1 CD: stop doing that!

Bespin

As an archivist who have documented some discographies on the web (on Wikipedia and on my own websites), I consider that some Labels (like Fresh Sound Records, to name one), who put 2 LP by two different artists on 1 CD, are doing a great mistake.

Why they do that? To boost the sales of a lesser known artist, using the fame of another? To group the albums under a theme or a genre? Just because they don't have a long term vision in the reissue plan of their stuff... Why???

Understand me, to put these CD on a discography is... tricky.

Do we have to count them as Reissues... Collaborations? Well, that's not what they really are, technically they are "compilations" (and sometimes they add BONUS tracks on these CD)... Do we have to regroup them in a "Various Artist Compilations" Section instead?

I just ask, what to do whith these U.F.O's?

Take the example of a record store (even if I know they're facing the threat of extinction...). In which section we put those CDs? In the "A" artist section, in the "B" artist section... in both? In a "Various" section?

Do you understand that's it's a non sense to do that?

Dear Labels, stop doing that.

Mercy!

[IMG]
Johnny Williams / Lionel Newman - The Music From 'Checkmate' + The Music From 'Hong Kong' (2 Lps On 1 Cd) - Blue Sounds »

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

Isn't that a bootleg custom?

A 90's fad... that don't have to exist in 2016 anymore!

It's nothing new and simple trouble with them cataloguing should not be the reason to stop doing these things. Film Score Monthly often paired scores from two different composers like Williams' Diamond Head and Lalo Schifrin's Gone with the Wave probably so as not to waste disc space and because they had the chance to release both. Same goes e.g. for FSM's Penelope/Bachelor in Paradise or Ghostbreaker/Jericho.

Considering something like a John Williams discography I think you should catalogue that above release as a re-release/re-issue with the mention that it also contains the album by Lionel Newman.

12 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Film Score Monthly often paired scores from two different composers like Williams' Diamond Head and Lalo Schifrin's Gone with the Wave probably so as not to waste disc space and because they had the chance to release both. Same goes e.g. for FSM's Penelope/Bachelor in Paradise or Ghostbreaker/Jericho.

Yes I know those strange Film Score Monthly couplings.

John Williams' discography is rich enough to avoid those strange couplings with other composers... Honestly, I find that disrespectfull for his work. 

It makes him look like a second-rate artist.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

John Williams' discography is rich enough to avoid those strange couplings with other composers... Honestly, I find that disrespectfull for his work. It make him turn like a second rate artist.

I agree! It's an outrage! We must launch a petition for them to stop doing that!

Make discographies great again!

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

John Williams' discography is rich enough to avoid those strange couplings with other composers... Honestly, I find that disrespectfull for his work.

:lol: That is one way to look at it. I am just happy that they released this stuff in any shape or form, coupled with other albums or not.

And if anything this inspired me to listen to Checkmate, which is heck of a crime jazz score! Coupled with Rhythm in Motion on the FSM album of course. ;)

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Indeed. It's up to the archivist to come up with a good way to sub-categorize these releases. See it as a challenge, Bespin.

Challenge accepted and taken up, but those couplings just look awefull in a disco...

I refuse to let John Williams be treaten like a second-rate artist anymore !

He deserve reissues with his name in big letters on it !

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

Challenge accepted and taken up, but those couplings just look awefull in a disco...

I refuse to let John Williams be treaten like a second-rate artist anymore.

But most of these albums were released as individual releases the first time around. There is still discographical purity in this world and it is worth fighting for Mr Bespin!

hqdefault.jpg

You want to put 2 LP on 1 CD for John Williams? Do it the right way geez!

I would buy those three CDs instantly:

- Checkmate / Diamond Head

- How To Steal A Million / Not With My Wife, You Don't!

- Penelope / Fitzwilly

But that's not how it works...

They don't own the rights to all Williams scores, they can't just pick and choose. They have to negotiate every single score.

If there's extra space on the CD it makes perfect sense to use it. I can't see how that's not a good idea.

Be serious, that's thing they only do with second-rate artists, do they ever mix Frank Sinatra and Charles Aznavour on a "2 LP on 1 CD"?

These two should really be reissued togheter on a single CD, instead of the strange couplings FSM did in 2005 and 2011:

John Williams - The Ghostbreaker/Nightwatch (1965).

Continuing with John Williams, we need of course a true Expanded Penelope 2-CD Set. I suspect that some compromise were done in 2004 to make the "original album + unreleased score" fit on one single CD...

Again, the pairing are based on who owns the recordings, not the artist involved.

The Ghostbreaker was a NBC movie, and Ghostbreakers was a CBS movie.  You can't license them and sell them together, its too complicated.  Recordings get paired with other recordings owned by the same company.

Plus, they only charged $20 for each, which would have been the price if they only contained the Williams score.  Look at it like you get another score by another artist for free, instead of refusing to buy it for illogical reasons.

Plus, I'll archive it in my Williams collection regardless. GHOSTBREAKER/JERICHO goes in my Williams section, not Goldsmith. NIGHTWATCH/KILLER BY NIGHT goes in my Williams, not in my Jones (if I'd had a Jones section).

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Plus, I'll archive it in my Williams collection regardless. GHOSTBREAKER/JERICHO goes in my Williams section, not Goldsmith.

I like your example. Why not buy two copies? :)