John Williams and Donald Trump

MovieMusicMaestro

The fact that he was in a Williams-scored scene and that he used Goldsmith's Air Force One theme did influence my vote.

"Down the hall and to the left" is now the oval office.

2 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

The fact that he was in a Williams-scored scene and that he used Goldsmith's Air Force One theme did influence my vote.

Hang on, did you just say that you decided to vote for a racist, sexist hatemonger* simply because he happens to have a cameo in a film scored by Williams and because he used Goldsmith music in his campaign (against the express wishes of one of its producers, by the way, and presumably Goldsmith's own ideas; see here)?

*) short version

3 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I believe this is Williams' second scored film with a (non-actor) president in it (the first being that Ronald Reagan movie from the 60's)

THE KILLERS, yes. Williams was also involved with the Reagan speech/event by the Statue of Liberty in 1986 (the now famous fanfare "Liberty Weekend"). He also did the theme for KRAFT SUSPENSE THEATRE, in which Reagan appeared (although Williams didn't score the episode in question), as well as some episodes of GENERAL ELECTRIC THEATRE, in which Reagan was the host....although he may have departed the show by the time Williams got involved.

There's also the Bill Clinton connection with the screening of AN UNFINISHED JOURNEY (Clinton narrating to Spielberg's visuals and Williams' music).

I don't count Williams' appearance with Bush jr. and Obama at events, since no scoring was involved.

But other than that, I think Williams' connection to presidents have mostly been of the fiction kind.

It was more appalling when Obama used music composed by John Williams for a Mel Gibson character that viciously murders British soldiers (portrayed as loons that set fire to churches filled with innocent women and children) with a tomahawk and teaches his kids to pick guys off with rifles. It wasn't even remotely appropriate.

I wonder why we can't though? Not that I'm particularly interested in doing so, but still. I mean, the recent political talk didn't exactly explode the forum into ashes and dust as once feared, did it. But really, a massive meh either way from me. And it works both ways anyway, doesn't it - I can treat mods like children too. 

23 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

(against the express wishes of one of its producers, by the way, and presumably Goldsmith's own ideas; see here)?

Oh, interesting, I'd been wondering whether Goldsmith's camp had fired back. 

18 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Yes!

The forums have changed forever! This is the mods' attitude now...

In olden days, a glimpse of political discussion
Was looked on as something shocking.
But now, God knows,
Anything goes.
Good posters too who once knew better words
Now only use four-letter words
Writing posts.
Anything goes.
16 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Yes we can!

Image result for yes we can obama

23 hours ago, Omen II said:

Williams should repurpose his Fanfare for Michael Dukakis by renaming it "Alack! To the Wall" and adding the heavenly voices of a Mexican children's choir proclaiming antiphonally "We will pay for it!" in Sanskrit.  He could also put something about trees and shit in there.

ROTFLMAO

We're not going to allow religious discussion, and I don't want discussion of whether or not we should allow it either.  Just move along!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

We're not going to allow religious discussion, and I don't want discussion of whether or not we should allow it either.  Just move along!

Having the one and not the other is arbitrary and ridiculous, but whaaaatever Jason.

On 11/9/2016 at 0:24 PM, BloodBoal said:

And to think we would have had Rey's theme for Hillary... And you guys voted for Jabba's theme!

Nah. Irina's Theme would have been more appropriate. The concert version DUH not the OST version.